X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't really get a good sense of Apocalypse's powers in the movie. He can turn people to sand, he can cause them to melt into a wall and become sand. When his eyes glow he seems to nullify people's powers somehow? He can teleport, and he can take people's powers by the transfer procedure. He also heals like Wolverine due to taking that guy's powers in ancient times.

But I didn't get a feeling for why he was able to use his power quickly enough to grab Quicksilver, for example? And why did Magneto and the others become his horsemen, does Apoc use some kind of mind control or is it just he gives them power and they respond due to being power-hungry?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
And why did Magneto and the others become his horsemen, does Apoc use some kind of mind control or is it just he gives them power and they respond due to being power-hungry?
They were serving him willingly in this. Storm thought he was the messiah, Angel got the use of his wings back, Magneto wanted revenge against the world, and Psylocke was just a moron.

He has used mind control to force mutants to be his horsemen in other media though.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
They were serving him willingly in this. Storm thought he was the messiah, Angel got the use of his wings back, Magneto wanted revenge against the world, and Psylocke was just a moron.

He has used mind control to force mutants to be his horsemen in other media though.
Was just wondering since he is clearly a powerful telepath due to his interactions with Charles, but didn't really see any clear reason those folks should just follow him like zombies. Magneto doesn't exactly need anyone's help to wreck the world if he wants to.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well he obviously magnified their powers. And they didn't follow him like zombies. Storm turned against him when she heard him call Angel useless and Magneto turned against him after Jlaw's terrible speech.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Well he obviously magnified their powers. And they didn't follow him like zombies. Storm turned against him when she heard him call Angel useless and Magneto turned against him after Jlaw's terrible speech.
That was well after they leveled cities though... so it's like, sure millions of people snuffed out.. all good I can make lightning now. Call my friend useless? Fuck you!

Their motivations just weren't that obvious to me I guess.

Caliane

Well yeah, it was shit writing. They should have made it seem like he was at least using some mild form of mind control on them.
he definitely was. it just was not very clear. nor, how exactly they broke free.

Storm was clearly mind controlled. We saw her personality. Wanted to be a hero, idolized Mystique. They even had Apoc say "cleanse the world" and change it to "save" when talking to her. She clearly wanted to save the world, not kill it.
Her eyes were even glowing purple when they visited Caliban.
Angel shook the mindcontrol. Seeing Mystique, and Apoc about to kill her broke it entirely.

It was likely a subtle mind control, not robot slave. He gave Magento what he wanted and played with his emotions, causing him to join him.
Angel liked to fight. probably just upped his aggression centers 200% and suddenly hes ready to join up.
We did see him forcefully take over Charles and his powers.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Terrible movie. How much money do they need to lose to just decide to sell the IP back to Marvel/Disney?

Xevy

Log Wizard
he definitely was. it just was not very clear. nor, how exactly they broke free.

Storm was clearly mind controlled. We saw her personality. Wanted to be a hero, idolized Mystique. They even had Apoc say "cleanse the world" and change it to "save" when talking to her. She clearly wanted to save the world, not kill it.
Her eyes were even glowing purple when they visited Caliban.
Angel shook the mindcontrol. Seeing Mystique, and Apoc about to kill her broke it entirely.

It was likely a subtle mind control, not robot slave. He gave Magento what he wanted and played with his emotions, causing him to join him.
Angel liked to fight. probably just upped his aggression centers 200% and suddenly hes ready to join up.
We did see him forcefully take over Charles and his powers.
It wasn't mind control it was manipulation. He thought "cleanse" and SAID "save" to appeal to her desire to be a hero. He wasn't mind controlling anyone he was just appealing to what they wanted. Status, power, and revenge.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
He was, but that would not be clear unless you were a comic reader.
I'm well aware of Apocalypse's ability to control minds and I was not under the impression he was using any form of mind control. As Xevy said, he was just telling them what they wanted to hear.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Movie Apocalypse had no mind control, hence his move to steal the Professor's powers at the end.

The real answer is just bad writing. You can wave away Psylocke and Archangel as being mercenary, and Magneto as self-interest, but there's no way to justify Storm's "Apocalypse will make the world great again... by killing random dudes in a foundry, teaming up with that timeline's Hitler, telepathically telling the world to kill the weak, destroying all civilization, and forcibly stealing the body/power of my people's civil rights leader". Just a few shifty-eyed shots of Storm doubting what Apocalypse was up to would have fixed it, but nope.

As an aside, the movie is just meh, somehow more dull than Days of Future Past. Did the summer movie season already end (and begin) with Captain America? I'm sitting here looking at the release dates and hoping someone found a real reason for another Bourne movie to exist (when, in retrospect, 3 (and not even going to mention Legacy) sure didn't need to) and foolishly hoping someone at DC found a drop of humor or charm to throw into Superhero Expendables.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Yuuuuuuge waste of a cool villain. All of my boyhood nostalgia could have been tapped for that badass Darth Vader sounding Apoc. that constantly talked shit and smashed people into walls with giant arms. Instead, they tapped into the memory that reminded us that our childhoods were truly over, the Power Rangers.

We'll probably be older and more dead on the inside when it finally happens, but at some point in time people will have the technology and motivation to make some really great fan produced movies . One day we can stop relying on these fucking retards as our only hope to play out some of the great stories we have.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
We'll probably be older and more dead on the inside when it finally happens, but at some point in time people will have the technology and motivation to make some really great fan produced movies . One day we can stop relying on these fucking retards as our only hope to play out some of the great stories we have.
If that day ever comes it will make some Hollywood lawyers awfully happy.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So much wrong with this movie was hard to enjoy the action which was also full of why are they doing that moments.

Goatface

i enjoyed it a lot, much better than either avengers. i am not a marvel fan at all, think the only marvel book i bought in the last 30 years was ghost rider 2099 and watched none of their cartoons so i have very little history, expectation or love for any of them.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So...at $407m worldwide, is this considered a flop? It's not going at a good pace. It might not crack 700m.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
So...at $407m worldwide, is this considered a flop? It's not going at a good pace. It might not crack 700m.
Well it was budgeted at just under $180 million, so it probably cost no more than $300 million all told to make, market, and distribute. They're probably close to break-even at this point. I think they'd be happy over at Fox if it hits $700 million. That would put it just behind DoFP for the X-Men series (the full team movies).

X-Men: Days of Future Past - 747.9 million USD
X-Men: First Class - 353.6 million USD
X-Men: Last Stand - 459.4 million USD
X2 - 407.7 million USD
X-Men - 296.3 million USD

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm well aware of Apocalypse's ability to control minds and I was not under the impression he was using any form of mind control. As Xevy said, he was just telling them what they wanted to hear.
I'm not disagreeing with you. They should have made it clear that he has some sort of mind control in the movie, since we as comic readers already know.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well it was budgeted at just under $180 million, so it probably cost no more than $300 million all told to make, market, and distribute. They're probably close to break-even at this point. I think they'd be happy over at Fox if it hits $700 million. That would put it just behind DoFP for the X-Men series (the full team movies).

X-Men: Days of Future Past - 747.9 million USD
X-Men: First Class - 353.6 million USD
X-Men: Last Stand - 459.4 million USD
X2 - 407.7 million USD
X-Men - 296.3 million USD
They don't get 100% of the box office, they get half of the domestic and 20% of international. So far, it looks like Fox is taking a bath on this one.