X4 Foundations

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Denaut

Trump's Staff
XR has SETA too. Which, frankly, I consider an indicator of the fact that they don't know how to design a cohesive experience so they just say fuck it put in a speed up button.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
XR has SETA too. Which, frankly, I consider an indicator of the fact that they don't know how to design a cohesive experience so they just say fuck it put in a speed up button.

meh it's nice with how the economy works considering it's size

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I mean, you could say size, I'd probably say pointlessly complex and tedium filled.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Cohh was comparing this to Fallout '76 and how much of a buggy shitty mess it was when it was this that he expected that from, but was pleasantly surprised that it seems to be free of that. He's a bit of a shill, but he has experience with X games, so I'm taking it as a good sign. Going to wait a couple days for the public to get their hands on it before diving in though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
What's the difference between this and Elite Dangerous?

E:D is in a static universe on a multiplayer server (though you can play in "single player mode") where basically the only things that change are things the Devs change themselves. However, you can explore a VAST universe and get your name on the discoverer's tab of systems you're the first to visit.

This game is a single player game where you alter the universe you are in by building up an empire.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
*sigh*

Been watching some streams and am currently watching ObsidianAnt play. They have clearly learned absolutely nothing in terms of game design and all the problems I outlined above are still there.

He is currently doing the "Dogfight" combat loop where you just turn in the same direction and lean on the fire button for like 4 minutes until bullet sponge dies, then repeat on the next bullet sponge until finished. Mega-fucking yawn.
This is basically why I totally can't get into ED / SC / X4 or any othe game with this gameplay loop. I just did it way too much in the star wars space combat sims, freelancer etc. In 2018 I need something much fresher and less silly.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
For me, the X games have always been more about building a huge industrial empire and then remote managing your fleets than getting into the thick of it yourself. The Germans do love themselves their sim type games and seem to either shy away from combat, or view it simplistically.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Played a bit and the initial feeling is that it's a lot more like X3 than rebirth. There's some weird GPU usage going on when facing a star, but it performs well at max settings 4k on a 1080ti otherwise.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
This is basically why I totally can't get into ED / SC / X4 or any othe game with this gameplay loop. I just did it way too much in the star wars space combat sims, freelancer etc. In 2018 I need something much fresher and less silly.

I thoroughly enjoyed Strike Suit Zero. It is a mission based dog fighting game, but the mechanics and concepts are excellent. Also, if you are looking for more naval style capital ship combat I played the hell out of Rebel Galaxy and it was a great experience. The latter has a sandboxy mission and trading structure but doesn't have the empire building. I'd say the best empire building space game where you still fly ships is Starpoint Gemini. It suffers in the core combat area and isn't as robust a strategy game as I would have liked, but it approaches the the concept in a decent way.

All of those games are better than the X games IMO.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
look forward to hearing about this after people get some hours into it

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
At least "paint the map blue" is a fucking long-term goal, the X games can't even be asked to have that. 4x have similar late-game "you've won but need to keep playing" issues. That is true for TW, but also for MoO2, and pretty much all of the Civilization games.

Wait what ? MoO2 ends with conquering Antarres - if you have the military to do that, you can just do it - if you don't, you certainly haven't 'won' already.

Entirely apart from that, this entire line of thinking is vaguely ridiculous to me anyway - it's like saying 'Well, I'm inevitably going to kill Diablo, so why would I even bother killing stuff or getting gear when I've already won !'.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Steam reviews are at 75%ish which isn't bad at all for this type of niche unpolished game. Most of the negative reviews are from under 1 hour players, and the ones that look serious are about stuff that is easily fixed rather than Rebirth's style of unfixable game design decisions.

I'm going to wait for it to get a few patches under its belt before diving in because my backlog is too damn big as it is.

It's available in the usual places if you want to try before you buy.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Wait what ? MoO2 ends with conquering Antarres - if you have the military to do that, you can just do it - if you don't, you certainly haven't 'won' already.

Entirely apart from that, this entire line of thinking is vaguely ridiculous to me anyway - it's like saying 'Well, I'm inevitably going to kill Diablo, so why would I even bother killing stuff or getting gear when I've already won !'.

Have you never played 4x games before or do you just not understand what I am saying? You absolutely can get to a point where you have finished making all your decisions and winning is just a matter of moving somethings while clicking end turn. The reason it is annoying is because ending turns can take a long time and you can go hours and hours in a game not doing anything meaningful but still having to sit through end turn calculations.

There are different criteria for victory MoO2. My memory is fuzzy but I can remember finishing a game by just jumping to systems and destroying every planet I didn't own with a stellar something or other. It took quite a while to accomplish and at no time was I ever in any danger from losing or making a mistake. This is what I mean.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
As a big fan of the X series, the games have always had some performance issues, bugs and major faults in them on release. That said, they were great sandboxes that tons of loving fans built upon. Rebirth got rid of most of the useful sandbox shit and left in all the problems, and I dropped it fast as fuck. If I buy this game will depend on the answer to these questions:

Can I get into ships and is it easily moddable.

Oh yea, is walking in stations fucking gone? Fuck that cancer.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Steam reviews are at 75%ish which isn't bad at all for this type of niche unpolished game. Most of the negative reviews are from under 1 hour players, and the ones that look serious are about stuff that is easily fixed rather than Rebirth's style of unfixable game design decisions.

I'm going to wait for it to get a few patches under its belt before diving in because my backlog is too damn big as it is.

It's available in the usual places if you want to try before you buy.

Have they actually addressed any of the real problems I mentioned earlier? Is combat better than what I witnessed on stream? Do you actually end up doing anything that has any purpose or meaning at all?

And of course negative reviews will be from short play times due to the refund window. Why would anyone let Egosoft keep their money for a shitty game?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
As a big fan of the X series, the games have always had some performance issues, bugs and major faults in them on release. That said, they were great sandboxes that tons of loving fans built upon. Rebirth got rid of most of the useful sandbox shit and left in all the problems, and I dropped it fast as fuck. If I buy this game will depend on the answer to these questions:

Can I get into ships and is it easily moddable.

Oh yea, is walking in stations fucking gone? Fuck that cancer.

You can fly any ship. There's a modding forum so I assume there's modding. Whether or not it's to the same level as X3? Dunno. Walking around is still in, but seems to be much more streamlined rather than the mess rebirth had.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Have they actually addressed any of the real problems I mentioned earlier? Is combat better than what I witnessed on stream? Do you actually end up doing anything that has any purpose or meaning at all?

And of course negative reviews will be from short play times due to the refund window. Why would anyone let Egosoft keep their money for a shitty game?

I have no interest in having an endless debate with you about whatever issues you have with the X series. Grind your axe elsewhere.