X4 Foundations

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I have no interest in having an endless debate with you about whatever issues you have with the X series. Grind your axe elsewhere.

So no. They still can't design their way out of a wet paper bag.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You can fly any ship. There's a modding forum so I assume there's modding. Whether or not it's to the same level as X3? Dunno. Walking around is still in, but seems to be much more streamlined rather than the mess rebirth had.

Sounds good enough for me. If the community gives it a thumbs up for being moddable I'll pick it up now to support their company.

I'll probably mostly shelf the game for a good year or so, as I've found its best to let their games age some before digging into them. Egosoft has its faults, but they do tend to provide good care for their games after release, and the community is good at filling in the gaps with some time. I really hope they did learn their lesson, as Rebirth is the first game in the series I haven't purchased.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Sounds good enough for me. If the community gives it a thumbs up for being moddable I'll pick it up now to support their company.

I'll probably mostly shelf the game for a good year or so, as I've found its best to let their games age some before digging into them. Egosoft has its faults, but they do tend to provide good care for their games after release, and the community is good at filling in the gaps with some time. I really hope they did learn their lesson, as Rebirth is the first game in the series I haven't purchased.

Yeah, they were still updating Rebirth as of last year despite how few people still gave a shit. They were trying to fix what they could. It doesn't excuse Rebirth at all, but it at least shows they still want to support their stuff.

As for the modding. I think Steam workshop is in the works, and the file structure is the same as X3 alongside mentions of some of the old tools for X3 modding working to extract them. They wouldn't have put up an official scripts/modding forum on the egosoft forums if they didn't plan on modding. Whether it will be as open as X3? Dunno.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played X2 years ago. Meant to just run through it to figure out the story before moving on to X3. Graphics were butt ugly and controls a bit of a pain. But I ended up getting lost in the game and didn't come out for months. Never did finish the story or get to X3.

Wierd game but I enjoyed it. Always meant to go back and then move on to X3, but kind of afraid of getting lost for months again. Even though I had a lot of fun.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Downloading now. Hoping mods take off.

Something that needs to be modded, stat, is adding life to these stations. You're like, the only soul walking around. Feels dead as fuck.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
anyone poop socked 10-20 hours into this yet? from the streams it's looking not to bad on release, especially for a egosoft game

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
the recent bugfixes - 1.10 yesterday - fixed most of the autopilot issues and the "m"ap teleport problem among other problems. Egosoft are like 10 guys and I want the Techlead from Bethesda spent an internship at their place.

Argarth

On the verandah
Very little to say about any bugs/content issues at this stage, since I've barely left the starting sector.

My biggest concern right now is the performance. (2700X - 1080Ti - 21:9 - GOG version)

Scenario:
  • Testing with no AA, game settings on High (default for my machine) VSync ON.
  • Create a new game, leave the dock and park the starter ship anywhere near the major spaceport, create a new save, sit idle and observe.
  • 75 FPS steady as she goes for a couple of minutes, spinning the ship on multiple axes also smooth and steady.
  • After about 3~4 minutes, the AI will begin to spawn in extra ships, the odd bandit will appear, activity at the dock will increase, and radio chatter begins.
  • The frame rate will begin to tank at this point, and after another 3~4 minutes it will drop to as low as 20 FPS and settle somewhere around 40~50 FPS.
  • It never recovers fully from here, no matter what I do or how long I wait. Reloading the save returns everything to normal and the cycle repeats.
I've created multiple new game saves in different parts of the sector, deleting the game xml files before each restart/save, and I've tried every NVCP and Game Config option I can think of. Even tried messing around with RTSS frame limiter, CPU core affinity, and disabling my sound card completely.

It seems to be a CPU/AI issue, as Task Manager shows multiple cores spiking wildly from 0 > 100 > 0% and sometimes 1 or 2 cores will even cap out. The GPU is hardly working at all with these settings, never going above about 30% utilization. Regardless, the scenario is the same no matter how hard the video card is being taxed.

Pretty disappointing for a Vulkan game; but... "Egosoft etc. etc. knew full well what I was getting into..."

Unfortunately, that means the game is unplayable for me right now. Think I'll give it a couple more weeks and hope for a "miracle" patch before asking GOG for a refund.

Game looks great though, so there is that! :D

edit: Egosoft Forum - Dev quote:
"Nvidia drivers have a minor issue with how they name their VSync options towards Vulkan games (like X4). You will therefore note, that the default VSync mode name "Triple Buffering VSync” is in fact NO VSYNC. You may have to try out the others modes depending on your driver version. Nvidia is working on fixing this naming issue."

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
As a big fan of the X series, the games have always had some performance issues, bugs and major faults in them on release. That said, they were great sandboxes that tons of loving fans built upon. Rebirth got rid of most of the useful sandbox shit and left in all the problems, and I dropped it fast as fuck. If I buy this game will depend on the answer to these questions:

Can I get into ships and is it easily moddable.

Oh yea, is walking in stations fucking gone? Fuck that cancer.

For the life of me I've never understood the desire some player and many devs of space games have for walking in stations/spaceships. It takes a ton of time and resources to do and adds nothing of value. I remember back in 2005 or 6 at an Eve Fanfest when they first talked about Walking in Stations for that game, and I thought "why?". It's just a time sink. Either you can do all you need to do via the regular interface (buy, sell, agents, etc..) which means why would you spend god knows how long walking somewhere to do what you can do with only a couple of mouse clicks, or they remove the interface and force you to walk there meaning everything takes longer to do just so you can show off your spacesuit. Same applies for practically all these games.

The only game I can consider it to be of any use, maybe, is Star Citizen, but then only because I've heard there is to be some sort of FPS style boarding of ships type thing.

In space sims I want to fly my ship and shit, not walk around.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For the life of me I've never understood the desire some player and many devs of space games have for walking in stations/spaceships. It takes a ton of time and resources to do and adds nothing of value. I remember back in 2005 or 6 at an Eve Fanfest when they first talked about Walking in Stations for that game, and I thought "why?". It's just a time sink. Either you can do all you need to do via the regular interface (buy, sell, agents, etc..) which means why would you spend god knows how long walking somewhere to do what you can do with only a couple of mouse clicks, or they remove the interface and force you to walk there meaning everything takes longer to do just so you can show off your spacesuit. Same applies for practically all these games.

The only game I can consider it to be of any use, maybe, is Star Citizen, but then only because I've heard there is to be some sort of FPS style boarding of ships type thing.

In space sims I want to fly my ship and shit, not walk around.

Bruh, immersion.

Eve being an MMO. If you had a stupid space station to walk around in and chat with people and show off your badass space force merit badges. People slurp that shit up.

Walking around your ship is cool too.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Bruh, immersion.

Eve being an MMO. If you had a stupid space station to walk around in and chat with people and show off your badass space force merit badges. People slurp that shit up.

Walking around your ship is cool too.

I disagree. Some people think its a good idea, but it's literally never been done in a way that is even close to successful. Infact, I'd go as far to say that walking on space stations in space games has always been a /detriment/ to the core gameplay enjoyment. Walking around ships doesn't trigger me as much, but it also is -pointless- in games unless a mechanic involves it. I went over this before a long time ago in the eve thread, but I play space games for the spaceships. If you want cool merit badges and shit to show off, put them on the fucking spaceship. I really don't give a fuck about walking around as some human/alien. I could be an AI that is uploaded to the ship for all I fucking care.

• 2Solidarity

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
the recent bugfixes - 1.10 yesterday - fixed most of the autopilot issues and the "m"ap teleport problem among other problems. Egosoft are like 10 guys and I want the Techlead from Bethesda spent an internship at their place.

They've been very active in Cohhs stream, even asking chat to send them bug reports. Several times they have reported "This is now fixed and added to the future patch". Cohh repeatedly stated that the difference between this dev team and Bethesda are night and day, noting that it makes Bethesda look even worse considering the size difference of the dev teams.

At one point he even just talked out loud about a suggestion to an addition to the UI where a dev responded that they would send it to the UI team and about 30 minutes later they said it would be added in the next big patch.

EDIT: removed video, won't load clip correctly.

Last edited:

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much sums up how egosoft has always been. It's a small team and their games tend to have bugs/problems on launch. That said, their support post launch has always been excellent. They improve, refine and work on their games well past the launch in a way that is really top notch for a gaming company. It's nice to see a company that cares about its games, especially with how belligerent a lot of the AAA game makers have become to video game fans lately.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I disagree. Some people think its a good idea, but it's literally never been done in a way that is even close to successful. Infact, I'd go as far to say that walking on space stations in space games has always been a /detriment/ to the core gameplay enjoyment. Walking around ships doesn't trigger me as much, but it also is -pointless- in games unless a mechanic involves it. I went over this before a long time ago in the eve thread, but I play space games for the spaceships. If you want cool merit badges and shit to show off, put them on the fucking spaceship. I really don't give a fuck about walking around as some human/alien. I could be an AI that is uploaded to the ship for all I fucking care.

I don't mean it being expansive. But like a single room on the "space station" where people can meet up. Set up shops and shit would suffice. Walking around the cockpit is kind of cool for your ships.

Argarth

On the verandah
Current Build and Version Number: 1.20 (323307) - In process, it's coming!
Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 16:13
Release 30 November 2018 : Build 1.00 (323017)

30 November 2018: Hotfix 1 Build 1.0 HF1 (323021)
  • • Fixed various crashes when unable to write files to disk.
    • Fixed light blue screen flash after intro video.
01 December 2018: Build 1.10 (323115)
  • • Added warning when selecting graphics settings that are too high for current hardware.
    • Removed SSAA options (if you previously selected SSAA then you are advised to select a different AA setting).
    • Removed outdated, broken and not very useful "joystick" input preset.
    • Fixed the player ship warping around when opening the map under certain conditions.
    • Fixed explosions near the Manager's Office sometimes killing the station manager and making trading impossible.
    • Fixed non-missile weapons assigned to an active secondary group shooting while the long range scan mode is active.
    • Fixed inactive missions becoming active after requesting guidance to an object.
    • Fixed links to the Encyclopedia from software and deployables.
    • Fixed black trade menus when owning small mining ships.
    • Fixed mining orders not available for small mining ships.
    • Fixed pilots not getting up when asked.
    • Fixed some savegames crashing shortly after loading them.
    • Fixed crash when trying to start the game with certain older AMD driver versions.
    • Fixed several other causes of rare crashes.
03 December 2018: Build 1.20 (323307)
  • • Added Korean localisation.
    • Added "Keep Settings?" dialog when changing antialiasing option.
    • Added user-submitted default profile for the Thrustmaster T16000m FCS HOTAS (thanks eisberg1977!).
    • Changed default setting for gamepad mode to be "Only for controllers".
    • Removed hull damage on collisions until the auto pilot has learned to fly around things!
    • Fixed suspense music still playing even if all nearby enemies have been destroyed.
    • Fixed player-owned ship icons that are underneath player-owned station icons getting selection priority.
    • Fixed player ships assigned to stations not trading in some cases.
    • Fixed the movement of newly assigned managers to the managers office.
    • Fixed manager's office on player stations not being accessible if there is no manager.
    • Fixed crew re-assignment in certain cases (e.g. from M ship to docked S ship).
    • Fixed assigning of crew in the back of your ship.
    • Fixed being able to assign crew as black marketeers.
    • Fixed cash exploit involving hallucinogenics and hard drugs!
    • Fixed too many Split characters appearing as pilots and managers.
    • Fixed not being able to Comm managers of player-owned stations via the info menu.
    • Fixed exploit allowing Comm with all known ships regardless of location (increased Comm range to compensate).
    • Fixed repair prices being inversely proportional to the amount of damage.
    • Fixed mass traffic being damaged in hazardous regions.
    • Fixed Bring Item missions.
    • Fixed some unlocalised text.
    • Fixed excessively loud repair lasers.
    • Fixed certain asteroids not displaying the correct name.
    • Fixed mirrored logos on small argon fighters.
    • Fixed highway adsigns clipping into opposite lane.
    • Fixed high and medium graphics qualities being identical.
    • Fixed graphics quality presets not changing texture quality and SSR option.
    • Fixed black screen after setting controller sensitivity to zero.
    • Fixed possible freeze involving ships repeatedly recalling subordinates who are unable to dock.
    • Fixed several other causes of rare crashes.
====================================================================================

They are certainly on the ball this time around. Bodes well for the future.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They are certainly on the ball this time around. Bodes well for the future.

For sure. The underlying game is solid, with the main issues just being the usual Egosoft stuff, which also thankfully includes continual updates. It might be a sidestep rather than a leap-forward in the X series, but it's what was needed after Rebirth. Hopefully they've learned their lesson when it comes to moving on past the expansions for this one.

Argarth

On the verandah
Well the latest patch didn't do much to improve the frame rate tanking issues I've been having. Still dropping to < 50 fps and unrecoverable without a reload. When this happens 1 or 2 CPU threads are fully tapping out, many others doing little or nothing, all while sitting idle just watching a few ships fly past.

After some discussion on their official forums, thought this might have helped, especially when a Dock starts to get a little busy (the NPC ship AI is stupid) but no dice.

Fixed mass traffic being damaged in hazardous regions.​
Far too frustrating to want to invest any serious time into the game right now; it completely ruins the experience for me.

This following Dev quote is taken out of context I admit, but a little worrying none the less. There are certainly no epic space battles going on.

EgoDev.PNG

Think I'm off to the refund counter for now.

Until they find a way for the game to use the CPU more efficiently, no amount of raw horsepower can fix this in my mind. In-game settings make no difference whatsoever.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Have you tried a new save game? If there's some problematic scripts running that's causing it, it could persist across reloads. I know some streamers have had to start over to fix some pretty bad issues.

Argarth

On the verandah
Have you tried a new save game? If there's some problematic scripts running that's causing it, it could persist across reloads. I know some streamers have had to start over to fix some pretty bad issues.

A billion times. See my original post above X4 Foundations