XCOM 2

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I can't watch streams, its already going to be amazing. 4 more days of waiting - we can all do it. I hate being spoiled of an experience that I've waited so long. Its tempting as fuck of course, but my virgin experience demands it. I need my iron man soldier friends to die horrible deaths for at least a month for the war stories X-com 2 needs to provide, watching other people fail/win just ruins that process. I hope there is a very easy method to give soldiers to your friends or get their soldiers from the cloud in some way. That would be amazing.

Krag

Peasant
This is really not the best time to have a slow week at work. It's hard as hell to not just watch everything spoliers or not.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Really enjoyed this fan trailer, too.

I beat C/I when it first came out. Went back a few weeks ago and finally beat I/I; man, shit is super unbalanced (Which they admit). But the first three months are essentially a roulette game, even playing perfectly and conservatively, if you get the wrong council mission or you just get unlucky with maps (Don't get enough maps that allow high ground, full cover movement) you're toast. But the moment you have lasers and skeleton, and mimetic with squad sight, it is cake.

I will say, even on I, Assaults late game are super OP. Everyone talks about Squad sight snipers, but assaults with ghost armor areridiculous. Tactical sense, +defense from ghost armor, and they have +50-60 defense from partial cover. Combine that with a support with enhanced smoke/extra smoke and you can truck in three assaults and have them stand with their dicks out while being better protected than someone in full cover (70+ defense, full cover is 40...40 for smoke, 10-20 for tactical sense and 20 for ghost armor, so even flanked, without smoke they will usually have full cover, it is hilarious.), behind partial cover they are essentially immune to being hit and the enemy AI does some screwy shit because the shots chance are so low (Like they will either try to flank, or overwatch--both of which are great for an assault squad. Since I always moved the assaults close, the moment they move to flank all my assaults got free reaction shots. Overwatch assaults are immune to the first react shot anyway.) Even if they were able to survive a flank, they'd only have a 30% chance of hitting and assaults colonels are immune to crit.

Combine all that with 2 shots, high crit due to close range/shotgun and they out did my snipers. Only annoying thing was how sectopods blew up. =-/ Stopped bringing heavies, just 3 assaults, 2 SS snipers and 1 support for the smoke. (People seem to like mecs, meh...I found them to be pretty useless except for the first 2 months.)

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I only day 1 a few titles a year, games I feel are both worth my own entertainment as well as my vote to make more of this shit. I paid full price for Witcher 3, Rocket League, Fallout 4, and Xcom 2 in the past year,

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Really enjoyed this fan trailer, too.

I beat C/I when it first came out. Went back a few weeks ago and finally beat I/I; man, shit is super unbalanced (Which they admit). But the first three months are essentially a roulette game, even playing perfectly and conservatively, if you get the wrong council mission or you just get unlucky with maps (Don't get enough maps that allow high ground, full cover movement) you're toast. But the moment you have lasers and skeleton, and mimetic with squad sight, it is cake.

I will say, even on I, Assaults late game are super OP. Everyone talks about Squad sight snipers, but assaults with ghost armor areridiculous. Tactical sense, +defense from ghost armor, and they have +50-60 defense from partial cover. Combine that with a support with enhanced smoke/extra smoke and you can truck in three assaults and have them stand with their dicks out while being better protected than someone in full cover (70+ defense, full cover is 40...40 for smoke, 10-20 for tactical sense and 20 for ghost armor, so even flanked, without smoke they will usually have full cover, it is hilarious.), behind partial cover they are essentially immune to being hit and the enemy AI does some screwy shit because the shots chance are so low (Like they will either try to flank, or overwatch--both of which are great for an assault squad. Since I always moved the assaults close, the moment they move to flank all my assaults got free reaction shots. Overwatch assaults are immune to the first react shot anyway.) Even if they were able to survive a flank, they'd only have a 30% chance of hitting and assaults colonels are immune to crit.

Combine all that with 2 shots, high crit due to close range/shotgun and they out did my snipers. Only annoying thing was how sectopods blew up. =-/ Stopped bringing heavies, just 3 assaults, 2 SS snipers and 1 support for the smoke. (People seem to like mecs, meh...I found them to be pretty useless except for the first 2 months.)
A bit late now, but you really should have tried long war.

Raes

Vyemm Raider

Eh, I've said this before, all that really matters is your shot accuracy. It seems like getting all this tech makes you stronger and the game gets easier, but it's really just the leveling of your troops. I've beat the game on I/I several times with no lasers or plasma. Once you survive the first couple months, which as you said is very roulette, it's all cake regardless. It's pretty much the only issue I have with the game.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Eh, I've said this before, all that really matters is your shot accuracy. It seems like getting all this tech makes you stronger and the game gets easier, but it's really just the leveling of your troops. I've beat the game on I/I several times with no lasers or plasma. Once you survive the first couple months, which as you said is very roulette, it's all cake regardless. It's pretty much the only issue I have with the game.
Yeah, troop levels mean more than anything, for sure. But lasers and the HP/defense of skeleton was extremely significant for me. The extra damage also means min roll kills for most of the month 2-3 enemies. The armor put me outside the range of most kills, even crits, and the defense is very powerful for negating the increased aim. . Also, most people don't realize grappling hook can be used to move latterly, it makes some missions where you constantly have to move insanely easier since sometimes you can move more than your total one action movement.

In any case, I'm sure I could win with just lasers and skeleton, but I don't think I could have done mutons and later game things without them. Not reliably anyway. Did you push to win before a lot of those late stage mobs showed up?

A bit late now, but you really should have tried long war.
I was going to, but didn't have time to sink, even with the not-so-long war adjustment it is still far far longer than an I/I game.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
No, I take my time, since the early months are the most brutal (cuz rng) finishing sooner just meant going back to that meat grinder. I wear skeleton for the extra movement, but my guys rarely take hits unless I'm being lazy. Most pods are dead before they can get a shot off. I run two snipers (one squad sight, one snap shot) 1 mec/heavy/support/assault. Disabling shot helps immensely if I can't 1 turn a pod(s). The only time I had any real trouble was a terror mission where 2 sectopods ended up together. I had to keep running them in circles around an 18 wheeler before I could whittle them down. Ballistic weapons do plenty damage, once you have 6 guys and they hardly ever miss. The meld stuff added with the expansion just made things even easier.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Everything about this game, now that I have been following it more, seems fantastic Especially the reviews. The only thing I wish is for controller support so I could play over steam link. I think they mentioned it doesn't have it right now correct?

Sulrn

Deuces
Don't think so. They built it straight for PC only because that's what they know wanted - I assumed that means they don't have anyone that understands controllers. Haha.

TB's release build impression (Spoiler free): Looks like the game is going to release a lot like EU did - camera buggy and un-optimized. Hopefully that means there is a day 1 patch or at least no thin men/vipers doing Dali impressions.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
Like the version of Every Breath You Take in that video.
smile.png

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Like the version of Every Breath You Take in that video.
smile.png
I didn't get why they were showing all that bad shit from the first game until they showed the failed base defense, and then I remembered that's the premise of the sequel, at which point I thought it was very clever.

Anyway you plebs talking about EW I/I ain't shit til you've played Long War.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I'm pretty sure we were discussing how easy the game gets after the first few months (where all the "difficulty" is really just rng), not bragging about our leet skills.

Sulrn

Deuces
Everything about this game, now that I have been following it more, seems fantastic Especially the reviews. The only thing I wish is for controller support so I could play over steam link. I think they mentioned it doesn't have it right now correct?
Related indirectly:

umB1hTF.jpg