XCOM 2

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm on the fence about Xenonauts. All the unforgiving bullshit of the original XCom, without any of the helpful stuff like shooting from infinite range or overpowered psi abilities.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The rest of this mod is fine but this interceptor bullshit isn't fun.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, the airgame is rough. That's why I suggested Cinematic mode, because it affects interceptors too.

You generally want to call an interceptor back as soon as it takes any damage because of repair times, which means unless you're save scumming, it can be a total crapshoot whether you actually get the enemy craft shot down. If you miss too many interceptions in the first couple months, the rest of the campaign will get a lot harder because of your slow start.

The difficulty of the airgame is why the beam laser rush is generally considered the best way to open a campaign. Improves both your ground game and your airgame, and laser cannons will carry you through the air all the way to tier 5 weapons, since Tier 4 weapons (pulse lasers) includes a foundry project that increases the damage of your laser cannons, effectively upgrading them all to tier 4.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it's the repair times and having to have so many of them that really sucks.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I quit. I loved the mission difficulty and the soldier progression stuff but I felt so much of the strategic command layer was not particularly fun.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not 'hard' to manage that many interceptors, it just adds nothing but tedium to the game. It's not like intercepting was a fun part of the game.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, I didn't care for it at first, and it's definitely my least favorite part of the game, but I learned to deal with it pretty quickly, and the rest of the mod is pretty great.

They also recently found out that they can add just about unlimited second wave options instead of only being limited to the same number of options that were already available, so I expect one thing will be added will be a second wave option that neuters the air game.

When I think about what the Long War devs could have done with a game that actually had mod support, instead of the cobbled together trial and error bullshit they've had to do to build Long War, I cry a little.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I mean you can edit some of the plaintext files to make interceptors cheaper and repair a bit faster. The monthly costs seem to not be in the plaintext files.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Except the monthly cost isn't really an issue. Most of your money comes from mission rewards and salvage in Long War, just like the originals.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What the fuck is the point of EXALT in EW? They're so pathetic. I use them to level up my psionics.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In the base game? They just occasionally fuck you up if you go too long without scanning for them, otherwise they're a joke. In LW they're quite formidable and the Exalt Base Assault is one of the hardest missions in the game.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, even in Long War they're easy early in the game. Later on you have to be careful which ones you leave up between turns as they'll rocket / grenade when their weapons are jammed.
If you can get an Assault on the data point by turn 2-3 they will just run face first into shotgun pellets.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, they're easy in LW too to an extent because you either superspeed through the extraction missions, or blow the fuck out of all their cover in the take and hold misisons. As long as you don't let yourself fall behind in killing power, EXALT missions are a great source of extra income in LW. The gear you get from wiping out EXALT HQ is a lot better than it used to be, but it's not gamebreakingly good compared to the credits you get from two exalt missions a month.

I guess I mean they're farmable, not easy. If you get sloppy you'll get creamed in later EXALT missions.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Beagle is a solid player but he isn't as good as he seems. His LPs are pretty fun to watch, but trying to watch him live on Thursdays on Twitch is unbearable. The same stuff he gets done in an hour of a LP takes him 3-4 hours or more on Twitch.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Really glad they decided to do a sequel. Main thing I didn't like about the first one is that only the early missions were hard and they were only hard because of low accuracy starting stats. I actually tested this out by completing an I/I run with ballistic weapons only. Also wish that a soldier or two dying didn't set you back so much, especially with the random class rolling. Hope they make a few changes. Can't wait til November.