XCOM 2

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Hmm, a little disappointed to read that apparently the scale will be equal or possibly even smaller. Like even fewer meta strategy mechanics. Will be a shitty transition from Long War's epic scale, which is phenomenal.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, if you get a month 1 supply ship landing, it's actually entirely optional whether you take it on or let them complete their mission and fly off. And it is damn near impossible to do without save scumming.
I just started playing this mod because of the mention in the thread. I'm playing on normal and I have to save scum a lot. I thought I was pretty good at Vanilla X-com, but this is pretty rough. I did get a first month supply ship, which I let land and then took the ground mission. I was able to beat it after a bit of save scumming, but I did lose 1 of my 6 doing it. It seems like as soon as you can expand your team size from 6-8, it would help a bit on those missions.

Plus, hit rate is so stupidly bad in the early game.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
I just started playing this mod because of the mention in the thread. I'm playing on normal and I have to save scum a lot. I thought I was pretty good at Vanilla X-com, but this is pretty rough. I did get a first month supply ship, which I let land and then took the ground mission. I was able to beat it after a bit of save scumming, but I did lose 1 of my 6 doing it. It seems like as soon as you can expand your team size from 6-8, it would help a bit on those missions.

Something that I didnt really pay attention to in the stress/aftermath of my month 1 supply ship till tonight - I got 4 intact flight computers out of that, which is what you need to research the satellite nexus, which should majorly accelerate your satellite coverage and be just generally helpful. Did you get all 4 of them off your supply ship too or no?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh weird, that's not the plot I was thinking they were going for.

I was actually assuming that all the MELD based tech made XCOM susceptible to alien indoctrination and they ended up winning even after you blew up the temple ship. And that the human soldiers in the black suits in the trailer were going to be enhanced former XCOM agents.
Yeah, I started a new game last week and it was funny the things the scientist and engineer said kinda of foreshadows what is happening in 2(or what had looked like happened in the trailer), like the engineer says something sort of like "but at what cost" and talks about losing humanity.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Started playing the mod. I figured out how the RNG works, by the way: Regardless of what the to-hit percentage says, all of your team is going to miss.

What the fuck? I can't even get through the first mission without getting my ass kicked.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You can beat I/I with just conventional weapons. I still used upgraded weapons on my Interceptors, cause I hate that part of the game anyway, but probably possible there too.
The idea is that you lost, didn't beat it.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
Started playing the mod. I figured out how the RNG works, by the way: Regardless of what the to-hit percentage says, all of your team is going to miss.

What the fuck? I can't even get through the first mission without getting my ass kicked.
Grenades are your friend. I bombed the snot out of the first mission, and fortunately being the first mission (with tutorial off) you dont get a chance to dick with your troops loadout so all 6 of your guys have one, regardless of what you might normally carry. Sure you lose some weapon fragments but better to lose some fragments than get wiped. And as I said, massed explosives were all that saved me from having my face eaten by chryssalids on my month 1 supply ship. That was some REALLY ugly shit for a bunch of newbs with 3 promotions between them. Thank god 1 of them was rockets. (and run and gun, and reflexes for the other 2)

It gets better with a couple of promotions to raise your accuracy and better still once you can put out some lasers. That +6-12 accuracy definitely helps. Be aware it takes 15-20 days to make those things though after you order them, so it will be a while before you can start getting them into action. I still only have 2 deployed myself, with another 3 or 4 in production.

1 power plant only being enough for one satellite control which only controls 1 satellite is a real ballbreaker too. Took me forever to dig down enough to get a steam plant online finally, and its gonna take another 18-20 days to finish researching the satellite nexus, then 14+ more days to build one. And 20 days each to stock up on satellites to go with it too at 180 bucks a pop. I hate everybody. :p

Run and gun and rockets are important early skills, plus a guy with lightning reflexes to pull the overwatch shot.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The idea is that you lost, didn't beat it.
Yeah, I get that, was more of a semantic argument anyway.

Solomon probably put it that way cause they are going to start you off with just conventional weapons again, so it makes more sense that we lost before getting laser/plasma. Which, as Gavin said, can contradict the earlier tweet about the volunteer. They're probably just retconning things a bit, to fit with the story/setting they want for the sequel.

Would be cool if some of your guys from 1 could make it to 2, along with Bradford, but I'm sure it'll be all rookies again.

Hmmm, could be as I think someone else suggested, the volunteer survived cause he turned to the dark side.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Something that I didnt really pay attention to in the stress/aftermath of my month 1 supply ship till tonight - I got 4 intact flight computers out of that, which is what you need to research the satellite nexus, which should majorly accelerate your satellite coverage and be just generally helpful. Did you get all 4 of them off your supply ship too or no?
Awesome note, thanks. I did have enough computers to research the tech and start working on a Nexus. I will have one up by month 3. That should help a bit

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
Awesome note, thanks. I did have enough computers to research the tech and start working on a Nexus. I will have one up by month 3. That should help a bit
Welcome. Still working towards my nexus tech. Another 2 days till the research is done, but I have the construction site ready for my first one, and what should be plenty of power (havent looked up how much it needs). Still probably 1-200 bucks short though, so not quite there yet.

Now I'm off to do Friends in Low Places, with only 2 damn lasers still. One lousy day short of my third, dammit.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
Oh you dog-diddling Hoosier whore! Turns out you also need 2 flight computers per satellite nexus to build the damn things too. I hate everybody.

8 power and 20 engineers too, btw, although that shouldnt be a problem by the time you've captured 6 comps. Bah. And I dont even have any flyable interceptors at the moment.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
I caught a harvester ufo on the ground, and got me 4 more flight computers off it. I'm much happier now.
smile.png

Note- you need 12 alien surgeries and 12 stasis tubes for the 30% less healing time research (and thats a big-ass deal in Long War) so dont just sell 'em off.

Edit 1- And now another off a scout I shot down. You seem to mostly need them in pairs except for MEC stuff, but I have 283 meld as of June 1st, so Mecs might be possible. Apparently building a second regular satellite building upped the prereq for the nexus to 30 engineers, which I didnt have, but cancelling the build dropped it back down to 20 so I could start the nexus in its place. Its 40 engineers to build a second one though at the moment. Ugh, this is gonna be slowwww. Anyway, plan accordingly.

Edit 2- Just got a medium ufo landing in Canada, so next time I play I'll be off to loot an' pillage that too. According to the UFOpaedia that should be good for 4 more flight comps and 2 or 4 power sources depending on what type it turns out to be. Happy times, supply-wise. Oh, a reminder- AP grenades dont damage cover like, say, all those precious UFO bits aliens might hide behind, so you can fling them with abandon if you need to. (And dont mind not getting salvage off the corpses if you score a grenade kill.)

Goonsquad Officer
I use shotguns pretty heavily. scouts, infantry, or assault bro's with shotguns. they get a pretty absurd bonus to hit within 3-4 tiles. so for me, early on, i tend to use guys on overwatch with regular 25-35 hits to keep the enemy in place. while a scout wastes their overwatch shots, and then a shotguy guy picks them off one by one.

Long shotgun war.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
It looks like they fixed Overwatch, so that if two enemies move and you have five people on overwatch, they won't all blast one dude into fucking oblivion while the other guy dances away to freedom. Gooooood.

Krag

Peasant
Yeah, hopefully that works as the demo implied, as that would be a pretty big improvement. The concealment/set-up phase looks like a good addition and overall that gameplay looked really good.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They just need to fix the insane line of sight issues and the retarded rng(how the hell does a lightpole hide a muton or cyberdisk?). Idgaf if you masturbate while playing it on ironman, firing at someone and missing when you are right next to them is fucking stupid. Shitty rng mechanics like that just force you to save and reload over and over, not have a fun game.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My XCOM2 story predictions:

The Volunteer saved earth and survived, but years go down and he grows immensively in power and succumbs to the dark side.
Then he builds a Solomon ChamberTM, travels back in time, helps the aliens to take over earth as he wants rest of mankind to either serve or become powerful psilords as well and keeps trying to ascend to god-hood. Maybe finally opening a portal to another alien dimension.