XCOM 2

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This thread and the I/I let's play posted got me re-interested in this, I had never played EW or Long War.

I fresh-installed EU/EW, and installed the LW mod. When running the game, I choose "EW" on the pre-launch splash screen, and when it loads up, it hangs at "loading user settings." Can't find a fix, despite looking at various troubleshooting resources.

Suggestions? I need me some XCom.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Well, if that happened to me I'd probably uninstall everything, re-install EU/EW, then start a new game and make a save. Then re-install LW. It's possible some important folder and/or file isn't created until you do that.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Ya, tried all that. Eventually worked playing in offline mode, but I can't get it to work without using offline mode. Bummer.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Yep. While I'm all for destructible maps like the originals I don't see the point of that $IGN$ article except to turn a negative into a positive.

Whatever words follow "we don't want money because.." is complete bullshit or good facts to justify a mistake. This game has me as hyped as possible anyway, just callin a spade a spade.
PC XCom outsold Console XCom approx. 20:1. There's the money.

Also:

Jait

Molten Core Raider
You're right Itzena. There's no money to be made there. Consoles smonsoles.

Retard.

Goonsquad Officer
I'm playing long war and i got to (the council mission with the zang in the chineese grave yard). I get overwhelmed by thinmen, i had something like 14 of them deployed at once.

is that just a general indication that i should have had laser weapons by then? that's my hunch. i fell behind on the research and that's just my prescribed ass beating.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's possible to get rushed a bit at the very beginning of Friends in Low Places, but what you should be doing is hunkering down at the beginning for several turns to deal with the first wave of drop ins + any patrols. Only then do you start moving forward to trigger more drop ins.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Also, move to one of the walls and proceed slowly. If you go straight down the center you're asking for a beating.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Don't know if it's different in Long War, but, iirc, in the normal game, the spawns are triggered as you move forward, so try not to do that while any are still alive.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
You recall correctly. It's a terrible mechanic that really took away from the game.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The flip side being that on higher difficulties, early DLC/council missions would be damn near impossible with timed or random drop ins, instead of scripted ones. At least Long War randomized the scripts a bit for some of them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In Long War the base defense is no longer a scripted part of the central arc, and like the originals your base can be attacked multiple times.

Krag

Peasant
Either day-and-date with XCOM 2?s November launch or soon thereafter, Firaxis intends to release a full suite of modding tools ? an Unreal Development Kit (UDK) and the editor the developers use to create content ? that will enable modders to run wild with XCOM 2. ?It's yours now; do with it what you want.?

?People will see the gameplay source, all the scripting,? he promised. ?This is the code that makes the game what the game is. Here's the editor and all the assets that went into this game.?
XCOM 2s Exciting Modding Potential -- IGN First - IGN

That's pretty exciting. Though they said before EU that they wanted support for mods too, it should be fairly certain that it happens this time around, and it seems like potential modders will get access to pretty much everything.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is it that long and involved every time?
It's possible to get an exalt attack which is generally considered easier than an alien attack, but yes, it's a full base defense every time it happens.

Long War is serious business. SRS BSNS

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Gavin how badly do you want to make love to anyone on the Long War team?