Yakuza series

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fedor

<Banned>
But that's a remake/prequel; if I want to experience a franchise, I personally would rather play progressively from the real beginning. I know 0 is not the first game.

they've redone 1 and 2 to reference the events from 0

0 is the ideal entry point to the franchise now

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i have played yakuza 0, yakuza 1, and yakuza 6 (in that order) and followed along just fine. Y0 is a fantastic starting point and probably one of the top 3 of the series. Its really not a very complicated setup and most of the game involves side missions and stuff anyways.

Its really fun and I consider it one of my top tier franchises now, have yakuza 2 in the burner but just been busy with other stuff. They are remastering Yakuza 3-5 as well, should hopefully be out in the west sometime this year.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
received_646398502459090.png

Director is apparently a high-octane shitlord, too. Not surprising, given a) that most Japanese are and b) that Yakuza packs more sjw kryptonite into each game than virtually any other - I don't know how kotaku hasn't melted down over the minigame where you oil up bikini-clad women and watch them beat the fuck out of each other - but it's still nice to confirm.

spronk

FPS noob
Sega has confirmed that the next entry in the Yakuzaseries, which will star “New Yakuza Series” protagonist Ichiban Kasuga, will be released for PlayStation 4. It is currently without an official title and release date.

The company also launched a “Latest Yakuza Game for PlayStation 4 Supporting Actress Auditions” website, where it is accepting applications from actresses ages 20 and up to play the role of the protagonist’s partner. The chosen actress will perform in the game, as well as participate in various promotional activities and receive one million yen prize money.

• 1Like

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gotta say i decided to give 'yakuza Kiwami" a shot since it was a free ps plus game a few months ago. Not much fo a ebat-em-up fan, or payer at all besides playing the various classics as a kid but.

So, I was shocked when i found myself really enjoying 'Kiwami". The combat def felt like a game thats now almost 15 years old. but still managed to feel solid enough. but i felt overall the story/setting/characters/plot ect.. was what kept me interested and playing till the end.

Overall it would be high on my list of PS plus game suprises. Clearly below Life is Strange and Until Dawn. But def on the next tier and for me a better game then two highly rated recent PS plus games stuff like "Edith Finch" (If you can call it a game), or Sonic mania.

So i guess my question is should i go with 0 or Kiwami 2 first?

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah I've played yakuza 0, yakuza 1 (kiwami), and yakuza 6 in that order and enjoyed them all and not gotten lost at all. I have Yakuza 2 installed but only put a few hours in. Once you play one or two they do start feeling a bit same-ish so I wouldn't marathon through them all or anything, just take long breaks in between.

For what its worth my understanding is that Yakuza 2 is probably the best, followed by 0, then 1, then 6 (of the remasters/new).

I think the rest are all getting PS4 remasters (and then PC 6-9 months later) might have already been announced for Japan but not yet for USA. Also there's a game called Judgement coming out in June/July which is by the same studio I think and thematically similar but new characters and stuff and you play a prosecutor (?). I've also got installed a game called Fist of the North Star I bought but haven't played

spronk

FPS noob
new yakuza origins bundle of 0, 1, and 2

yakuza 3 remaster releasing TODAY, 4, 5 coming oct and feb along with a 3,4,5 physical collection

ECbWJlpUEAAJR3f.jpg:large

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hearing that Yakuza 3 is a bit of a shitshow, with some content restored but other stuff censored in all regions, even JP. 4 will probably get the same treatment, since Sega bungled the PS3 release here just as badly as they did 3. I never got to play 5 because my PS3 was long gone by then, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should just grab a free month of PS Now and play it instead of waiting. From what I understand there was almost no cut or censored content in the western PS3 release, but that will probably change now that Sega is afraid of a mob of SJW faggots who aren't even part of the fanbase.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally got around to starting Zero and I'm loving it. Already got 1-6 otw. Time to burn myself out on another franchise!

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I got into this series a few months ago. I can echo what others have said that it's better to space it out. I can usually start a new series and plow through it even if the games are all similar. However for some reason the Yakuza series burns you out if you play too many of them in a row.

Can also echo what was said in the past about Yakuza 0 being the optimal starting point. Don't worry about release order. Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 are both rewritten a bit to function as sequels to 0, especially Kiwami 1. 0 and 1 are the best one-two punch of story in the whole saga. The rest are largely self-contained stories.

Gameplay-wise 0, 2, and 5 are the three best entries according to most people I've asked. The others are hit-or-miss, with 1 generally regarded as the weakest and a bad place to start.

I played 0 (loved it), then 1 (was okay, made worthwhile as a sequel to 0). By then burnout was setting in. I went on to Kiwami 2 and had some issues getting into it even though it's objectively pretty rad. Just felt burnout-y and redundant and I was noticing a lot of flaws. So I took a break for about a month or two and then resumed it and it was great. After that I had another two months before the collection (Feb 11) which is when I'll play 3. I just need to remember to take breaks before 4 and 5, which shouldn't be too hard when we have like six HUGE games on the way in March/April.