Yesterday (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
3.67 star(s) Rating: 3.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Yesterday (2019)

Genre: Comedy, Music, Romance

Director: Danny Boyle

Cast: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Ed Sheeran, Kate McKinnon, Ana de Armas, Camille Chen, Maryana Spivak, Lamorne Morris, James Corden, Harry Michell, Ellise Chappell, Alex Arnold, Sophia Di Martino, David Lautman, Joel Fry, Siegfrid Calizo, Jennifer Armour, Cristina Dohmen, Gareth Chesebrough, Vinita Sharma, Shaid Parvaz, Lalit Bhusal

Release: 2019-06-27

Plot: A struggling musician realizes he's the only person on Earth who can remember The Beatles.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I saw this enjoyable movie this afternoon. It's a light hearted take on a musician who is down on his luck and wakes up in a world without Beatles music. I'm a die hard, life-long lover of the Beatles, I've made all the pilgrimages to Liverpool, museums, and everything in between, so this was a "must see" for me. The movie is sweet, cheerful, and light-hearted. It's mostly predictable, but thankfully skips out on the most obvious plot device, or resolution of plot, that nearly everyone would see coming. The movie makes a smart and lovable choice with its' possible antagonists. There is one haunting surprise in the movie, and for any Beatles fan it stabs you right in the heart, in the best way possible. I'm going to go see it again specifically for this one scene.

There is of course a love interest in the movie, which is the unbelievably beautiful Lily James being overlooked and friend-zoned by the homely protagonist. The only let down in the movie is the weak vocals, but with otherwise faithful covers of Beatles songs. It's nice seeing a modern version of Beatle-mania, and the constant praise of the quality of their songs "this is the best song I've ever heard, these are all the best songs ever written, this will be the greatest album ever made." However, this is not a deep movie, there's no big character arc, and it ends pretty much how you expect from the beginning. And Kate McKinnon should die in a fire.

... The thing to keep in mind is that these are the best songs ever written, the Beatles did write them, and in a very short period of time. Multiple albums per year, 26 #1 songs in 6 years or so. So while in amazement about the music in the movie, the truth is even better, that there truly was a genius powerhouse group with this prolific output. Honestly mind blowing.

I recommend this movie :)

Two great things:

1. I loved the two people that looked like they were going to blow up his secret, but they just wanted to say thank you because they loved the music so much and missed hearing the Beatles.

2. When he goes to see John Lennon, my heart just broke. I knew it was Lennon when they showed his artwork in the house, before Lennon answered the door, and god they did a great job of finding someone that would look like a 78 year-old Lennon. How ballsy, and how fucking awesome that they did that. I have to go back and see this again just for this scene alone. Apparently Yoko approved of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Jasker

Yellow Officer Title
Ok that was a really thoughtful and great review, well said @Falxy-US

It should be well above 60% on rotten tomatoes. Audience gave it 91%. No idea what happened. They aren’t usually far off but on this they are.

Id give it a 9/10 - likely going to see it again as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Question: Whats the word I'm looking for? From the trailers, we can all see he gets in a bicycle accident then the world changed, so the most obvious thought is that it's all a dream. But they didn't take this route. What would that obvious things be called? Is there a word for it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jasker

Yellow Officer Title
Question: Whats the word I'm looking for? From the trailers, we can all see he gets in a bicycle accident then the world changed, so the most obvious thought is that it's all a dream. But they didn't take this route. What would that obvious things be called? Is there a word for it?

And what was up with the momentary flashbacks he was having?

Imo it’s called limbo, purgatory, simulation. One of those. It’s real but not real.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Just rewatched this tonight in theaters before it leaves. I loved it twice as much. It’s great seeing the “Russian guy’s” face when Jack players “back in the ussr” this time knowing the whole deal. What a great, fun, happy movie. Damn I wish this has done better.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
Great review and great movie. Has its flaws but way to overlook them for the light hearted feel good movie it is.

Hey dude...

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i saw a trailer for it a while ago and thought "huh.. that looks interesting" but then never heard another thing about it. my mom wanted to see a movie so we went to see this the other day and i was overwhelmingly surprised by how enjoyable it was.

honestly, i loved that the guy didn't try to "remake" any beatles songs... he just performed them as is, which made perfect sense for the movie and didn't screw up any of the songs. generally speaking, beatles songs are timeless and remaking them almost always makes them a worse song.

• 3Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Completely forgot about this movie! Remember seeing the trailer and really liking the idea, especially considering how terrible Hollywood is at making original shit nowadays.

I just don't recall seeing hardly anything about this actually hitting theaters? Shame. I will try to check it out this weekend.

• 1Like

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
100% great movie if you like The Beatles, even if you can only half stand them its a very good movie. I could do without that retarded snl chick but they limited her stupid bullshit.

• 3Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Just now got around to watching this. It was great. I found myself on the edge of my seat already leading up to the John Lennon scene, and wound up sitting right in front of my 43" TV like a child for that whole scene itself.

But holy hell how incredibly frustrating that there was no explanation of the mystery by the end! I found myself wishing for a Marvel-style stinger during the credits, Paul McCartney knocking on his door saying "we have to talk" or something setting up some future explanation haha.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Just now got around to watching this. It was great. I found myself on the edge of my seat already leading up to the John Lennon scene, and wound up sitting right in front of my 43" TV like a child for that whole scene itself.

But holy hell how incredibly frustrating that there was no explanation of the mystery by the end! I found myself wishing for a Marvel-style stinger during the credits, Paul McCartney knocking on his door saying "we have to talk" or something setting up some future explanation haha.

I'm glad you liked it! I just showed it to a friend tonight! I still find this to be a lovely, sweet, absolultely enjoyable movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Subverted expectations :)

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Finally watched this. Fun little movie. Sadly, the GF hated it. While it was a fun little movie, I thought it could've been even better.

That one scene was crazy. Insane job on that one.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database