Yesterday was my dog's 4th birthday.

Juvarisx

Florida
I grew up with 3 Doberman's including one that I was "responsable" for (as much as a 7 year old could be) pup. The other 2 were around when I was born and they were perfectly fine with me as well. I have no doubt that any of them could have done major damage but they were trained and cared for properly and were the gentlest dogs ever. You learn to respect the breed and how they are feeling and you have ZERO to worry about. While I have no doubt that mine would have killed anyone who tried to hurt me I never once worried about her or my parents two.

I have two Siberian Huskies now, one is a rescue who the shelter and vet THINKS might be part wolf, it was a nightmare to train but now I do not worry about him around kids or small dogs. Yes I still keep an eye on him around them I know warning signs if he is going to get agitated, but you also have to show kids how to approach dogs and what to do and not do. He is 110 pounds and could take down a deer there is no doubt in my mind, but with the right training any dog can be a good dog. Dogs are not vicious people train them to be that way.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Treat a pitt like a wolf. If you wanna keep one, fine whatever. It's a living creature. It has its dignity.

But if it ever attacks anyone I hope the sheriff in your county has the balls to charge you with felonious reckless endangerment. No matter how well you've trained that dog, it is a beast. That's not the dogs fault.
Are you fucking retarded? Did you honestly just try to compare a wolf to a domesticated dog breed?

iannis

Musty Nester
A pitt is a penis extension. That's all it is. Sorry if it's your favorite dog and they're just so loyal and loveable.

It's not the dogs fault that the only people who own that breed of dog are either American Inventors or trailer-American Inventors. If I was king I'd give every last one of them to chinese resturants with a clear conscience.

stunted little fucking trash wolves.

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Treat a pitt like a wolf. If you wanna keep one, fine whatever. It's a living creature. It has its dignity.

But if it ever attacks anyone I hope the sheriff in your county has the balls to charge you with felonious reckless endangerment. No matter how well you've trained that dog, it is a beast. That's not the dogs fault.

Haters gonna hate. Pitt's gonna Pitt.
Just as someone who had a few wolves, admittedly high content wolfdogs, (one old guy left) wolves that are acquainted with humans and aren't fighting to survive for food are notoriously cowardly towards unfamiliar humans. Not gonna say there aren't aggressive types, but they are the type to usually look from afar if given the choice.

A little back on topic:

khalid

Unelected Mod
It's not the dogs fault that the only people who own that breed of dog are either American Inventors or trailer-American Inventors.
You are right, it isn't the dogs fault that pitbulls are often owned by people interested in dogfighting or thug culture. However, it is your fault that you can't separate that bad reputation from facts.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
A pitt is a penis extension.
The only guy I knew to own pit bulls also was a gun nut, bought a lifted Bronco, and a Harley Davidson both right out of college. Wasn't a very nice guy. As tragic a case of overcompensation as I've ever seen.

Our late dog, Lakota, was attacked on the street during a walk by a pit bull, had to go to the vet immediately. He never trusted other dogs after that. It changed him.

My 87 year old grandmother was bit on the forearm for no reason by the trash across the street's pit bull about 5 years ago. Had to get stitches.

There is a moron around here that owns two pits. We have to literally walk down another street if we see him and his stupid aggressive dogs while walking our dog. Our dog is friendly, and likes to say hello to other dogs on walks. His dogs get aggressive and he yells at us to get our dog away from his. What great pets. So glad to have them in the neighborhood.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You are right, it isn't the dogs fault that pitbulls are often owned by people interested in dogfighting or thug culture. However, it is your fault that you can't separate that bad reputation from facts.
True pitbulls have a disproportional amount of shitbag owners, but how many golden retriever or poodle guard dogs have you seen? At the end of the day they are animals, not inanimate objects and have temperaments and attitudes hard coded(aka genetics) into their brain. Either way the dog is just a dog it doesnt know what its doing, its the responsibility of the owner. You raise a shitty dog that is aggressive and unfriendly? Thats the owners fault, not the dog for doing what comes natural to it.

Honestly though when I see someone with a pit the first thought in my head isnt omg dangerous dog, its lol what a tool/idiot the owner is.

Chris

Potato del Grande
What happens if your dog has a bad dream and starts to attack your baby? (Was a story about this happening to a woman who slept with her dog for years)

What happens if your toddler has a tantrum or is curious and hits the dog or something, startling the dog and getting attacked?

Yeah this stuff is unlikely, but it could happen and there are regularily dog death stories in the media. Would you leave your baby playing near a busy road or alone in the garden?

5 pages and no mentions of the "locking jaw" of a pitbull, like an alligator. Today will be a good day.

Odds on "once they get into a fight and taste blood they will want it forever" in the next 3 pages? Get some action going on this thread people, it's gold.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Give me a break. What the fuck is a pure breed really? Its an animal that has been selectively developed to enhance and create certain traits for certain purposes.

A Golden Retriever is bred to have a soft bite that won't damage the bird and a mild temperament so as not to startle the prey prematurely....and to swim of course. Its seen as a friendly dog and for that reason shitty as a guard dog, while other dogs specifically bred for the purpose are loyal and protective of owners and better suited to guarding.

Pit Bulls were bred todo violent battle with bulls and bears.FUCKING BEARS, this thing was purposefully designed to go into a death match with a motherfucking bear.

Denying that one has far greater potential to cause damage than another is to deny the entire history and purpose of the fucking breeds. You can get yourself off on this "all dogs are essentially the same" petlitically correct circle jerk but I'll recognize that every breed has unique issues that should be observed.
Well you are discounting the fact that pits were also historically bred for temperment first and foremost. No one wants to go baiting with a dog that has a tendency to bite humans. And really you're exaggerating here, all dogs were bred to assist in hunting of some kind, they are historically working animals. Sure, a pit probably has the capability to do much more harm than certain other kinds of dogs. Especially now with all the knuckleheads who own them as a status symbol or to appear tough. I wouldn't accept it as given that a pit is more likely to do that, though.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The problem with pitbulls is that when they finally do bite someone, their jaw locks down like an alligator's and you can't get them off. Once that happens, they get the taste for blood and can't be controlled.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think the word you were looking for was "rarely" but instead you used "regularly", which is strange.

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...ogbreeds-a.pdf
It's unlikely that one dog will turn, but across the thousands and thousands of dogs you'll get enough unlikely events for a good few dog death news stories per year. The data you linked for the USA shows one or two deaths every month which I would personally describe as regularly but of course it's a little subjective as to which word you would use.

Your data also shows Pitbulls having the first or second highest kills despite them probally not being the most popular breed of dog. I wouldn't risk it.

It's unlikely that one dog will turn, but across the thousands and thousands of dogs you'll get enough unlikely events for a good few dog death news stories per year. The data you linked for the USA shows one or two deaths every month which I would personally describe as regularly but of course it's a little subjective as to which word you would use.

Your data also shows Pitbulls having the first or second highest kills despite them probally not being the most popular breed of dog. I wouldn't risk it.
Matthew J Ryan @ Penn did a study years ago about aggression and dogs and Chihuahua's came out on top. That's because dog owners don't take small dogs serious, they think aggression is cute. If you hit someone with a fly swatter it will do less damage than a bat. Chihuahua's are not as strong as pitbulls, Rottweilers etc.

Assholes own all kinds of dog breeds. Millions of people are too irresponsible to be dog owners, but they are, and pitbulls have been the fad breed for 5-10 years now. There are fucking tons of them, and if they were an AKC registered breed you'd see just how popular they really are.

Oh and dogs don't "turn" this isn't the walking dead.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We purchased our dog from a high-school friend's family when he was 7 weeks old. My friend had been killed in a Motorcycle accident a few days prior, so I went to his parents house to give my condolences. While there, I saw that their dog recently had 12 puppies (though 1 was a still born). My wife had been talking about getting a dog because she always grew up with one while in Japan. I was never really a dog person myself, but we decided to get one anyway. That way it would put a little money in my friend's Parent's pocket, as well as give my wife something that she wanted. I chose the calmest of the group. He was definitely not an Alpha, and we made sure that he knew we were boss from the moment he came into our home. Not to mention that he was only 1 of the 4 that had Gray in their coat. The rest were tan, which was ugly.

Baku knows that my wife and I are his proverbial "pack leader". He never steps out of line and we reward him for it. He always turns to us when he needs help. For example: While walking him down our block, a neighbor's shitty half poodle mutt attacked his neck the moment we walked past. My dog just stood there doing nothing while I got it off of him. Another time we had him at a doggie day-care type of place. The bigger dogs play together and the little dogs play together. Baku got attacked by 3 Boxers for being "the new guy" or some shit. He did nothing at all to retaliate. It isn't his nature to be aggressive.

That said, my Mother saw how good of a dog our Puppy was, so she went ahead and bought his sister. The sister is VERY high strung, and will gladly pick fights with whoever wants a go at her. We refused to let our daughter anywhere near her for the first 7 months, then we only brought her over sparingly. I worry about that dog. I don't worry at all about Baku. He knows his place.

I'll film another video tonight showing you guys how he is not food aggressive. That's another thing that someone here claimed was impossible. Baku has no problem letting you put your hands in his bowl while he's eating. He stops and backs up right away. Even when my daughter does it.

Anyway, I realize that not all dogs are the same, but Baku is the perfect "friend" for our daughter. He's extremely laid back and not an alpha at all. He knows that we are master, and he never tries show dominance around us.

NgI0BTD.jpg

1tbpo3f.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
And to those of you comparing our pit to golden retrievers or dachshund, way to let the media corrupt your mind. There are buzz words out there, and Pitbull is one of them. There are plenty of bad owners out there, and a lot of those owners own Pits. As a result, the dogs are undisciplined, and such. As a breed, they are naturally ANIMAL aggressive only. NOT human aggressive. This dates back to when there was heavy breeding and splicing just for the sake of the ultimate fighting dog. The fighting dog would be put down instantly if it ever attacked a person. As a result, they tend to not be human aggressive.

They are by nature, however, ANIMAL aggressive. But if you start them off when they're puppies and keep them immersed with all kinds of animals, they lose that as well. My dog has no problem being friends with my father's cats. They don't really like him, but he's only played with them. He's never been aggressive.

A wise man once said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Baku's past performances have always shown that he is a calm and gentle pet. I wouldn't expect that to change. Also, with the picture of my daughter as a 3 day old sitting in his lap, when we first brought her home, Baku had to re-evaluate everything in his life. He ran around re-smelling the entire house, as well as my wife and I. Once 2-3 hours had passed and he calmed down (laid on the couch), we placed her in his lap for the sake of the picture. He was done his smelling stage and had already accepted her.