You know you're getting old when.....

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Memory foam mattress/gel pillow/cpap (sometimes since I lost weight)... usually 3-4 hours sleep, wake up to pee/web/fap followed by a hot bath and I'm out again for another couple hours

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I can’t find a comfortable sleeping position to save my life at this point. I try to sleep on my left side, my left shoulder gets pissy. Try to sleep on my right side, my sciatica gets pissy and my hip starts going numb. Sleep on my back and I get paranoid about sleep apnea and hurts my back anyway. Try to sleep on my stomach but my stupid ass tits get in the way.

And add me probably to the cpap club soon, augh. Did a home sleep study the other day since my husband says I sound terrifying at night and do indeed have apnea. Had my in lab titration study to get a prescription last night. It wasn’t the worst thing in the world, but damn I wouldn’t want to wear a mask every night. I guess if it helps my shit quality sleep, then it is what it is.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
I can’t find a comfortable sleeping position to save my life at this point. I try to sleep on my left side, my left shoulder gets pissy. Try to sleep on my right side, my sciatica gets pissy and my hip starts going numb. Sleep on my back and I get paranoid about sleep apnea and hurts my back anyway. Try to sleep on my stomach but my stupid ass tits get in the way.

And add me probably to the cpap club soon, augh. Did a home sleep study the other day since my husband says I sound terrifying at night and do indeed have apnea. Had my in lab titration study to get a prescription last night. It wasn’t the worst thing in the world, but damn I wouldn’t want to wear a mask every night. I guess if it helps my shit quality sleep, then it is what it is.
Give it a shot, some people hate it. I fall asleep immediately after I put on the mask. I've had it for a few years now and I sleep solid almost every night. I noticed right away that I'd feel less tired and more alert all day. You won't know until you try.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Also look into a "mandibular advancement device" which is basically a two sided mouth guard that has a fixed connection that can be advanced to move your lower jaw forward. I tried one just in default position (that is just holding my lower jaw from falling back if that makes sense) and my snoring basically went away completely. I had to use a regular guard anyway because I grind my teeth too much and my dentist yelled at me.

They are now available OTC as well, $40+ on Amazon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Also look into a "mandibular advancement device" which is basically a two sided mouth guard that has a fixed connection that can be advanced to move your lower jaw forward. I tried one just in default position (that is just holding my lower jaw from falling back if that makes sense) and my snoring basically went away completely. I had to use a regular guard anyway because I grind my teeth too much and my dentist yelled at me.

They are now available OTC as well, $40+ on Amazon.

Yeah, was looking at these as well. Basically just waiting for the final recommendation from my doctor on which would be better. I think they said mine was pretty mild, so hoping I can go the jaw device route. If not, well, got everything I need for a cpap instead.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, was looking at these as well. Basically just waiting for the final recommendation from my doctor on which would be better. I think they said mine was pretty mild, so hoping I can go the jaw device route. If not, well, got everything I need for a cpap instead.
Cpap changed my life. I sleep properly, I no longer snore, I’m unlikely to die at 3am from asphyxiation. 100% worth it after the couple weeks of adjustment to wearing it. Mine was just a nose piece, nothing over the mouth and very light weight.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Cpap changed my life. I sleep properly, I no longer snore, I’m unlikely to die at 3am from asphyxiation. 100% worth it after the couple weeks of adjustment to wearing it. Mine was just a nose piece, nothing over the mouth and very light weight.

Yeah I had the under the nose piece for my study. Doc just contacted me with orders for the machine, so guess that’s what I’m getting. Study sent me home with the mask and hose already so just gotta find a place to send my orders to. Will see how it goes, I guess. Only real complaint was having a bit of a bloody nose last night, not sure if that was from the cpap or not (I did have the humidifier on it).

Last edited:

loudgas

If anything most if not all should have a humidifier on (you can adjust levels for that), unless you mean the hose option? I personally just use the standard hose, it can get some condensation buildup depending on where your cpap is placed.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm a side sleeper as well. Top end memory foam/gel mattress and in the last month I've started getting some pain in my right hip. I'm still in denial that it's because I'm in my mid 50's and arthritis runs in my family... So let's blame the mattress. ;)

My wife says I need a knee pillow. IMO she should be my knee pillow, but she's wrapped up in her own cocoon of blankets.

I used to toss and turn until I started using a CPAP. It tends to get loose if you change positions. The best advice I got for using one was to put it on and watch TV for a while first to get used to it. I did that for a few hours, then when I went to bed, I went right to sleep for the best rest I'd had in years. It felt like I'd been hit in the face with a 2x4 in the morning because of the mask, but it was still great rest.

Did you get the sensor inserted into your nose and down your throat? That's the only part of a sleep study I can't abide by. If anyone has one scheduled, be sure to tell them your snoring is audible. If it's not, they'll want to use that sensor.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Did you get the sensor inserted into your nose and down your throat? That's the only part of a sleep study I can't abide by. If anyone has one scheduled, be sure to tell them your snoring is audible. If it's not, they'll want to use that sensor.

They just slapped a microphone/sensor up against my throat.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
My wife says I need a knee pillow. IMO she should be my knee pillow, but she's wrapped up in her own cocoon of blankets.

I used to toss and turn until I started using a CPAP. It tends to get loose if you change positions. The best advice I got for using one was to put it on and watch TV for a while first to get used to it. I did that for a few hours, then when I went to bed, I went right to sleep for the best rest I'd had in years. It felt like I'd been hit in the face with a 2x4 in the morning because of the mask, but it was still great rest.

They just slapped a microphone/sensor up against my throat.

I did the knee pillow and it didn't help. But if it works for you I will be overjoyed on your behalf. ;)
I never had a complex study done. They wanted to do a sleep study on me, but the study was literally just an O2 sensor I wore on my thumb overnight for a couple nights.... I went back to the Dr after that and illuminated them to the fact that not only does my watch track my O2 all night every night, but that also my phone tracks my snoring.

In my case snoring almost completely vanished, and O2 got to the point of staying above 91% by doing one thing....

I started sleeping at an incline. At first it was a wedge pillow, and now it's risers to rise the head of my bed so I'm sleeping at between a 10-15% angle. Snoring went from 3-4 hours a night snoring to 3-10 MINTUES a night. O2 went from bottoming out in the mid 80's to not dropping below 90.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I had the under the nose piece for my study. Doc just contacted me with orders for the machine, so guess that’s what I’m getting. Study sent me home with the mask and hose already so just gotta find a place to send my orders to. Will see how it goes, I guess. Only real complaint was having a bit of a bloody nose last night, not sure if that was from the cpap or not (I did have the humidifier on it).
I had a bad sore throat for two weeks when first starting it. I imagine from the increased air flow. My machine has a humidifier built in so after that was all adjusted I have no problems.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I had a bad sore throat for two weeks when first starting it. I imagine from the increased air flow. My machine has a humidifier built in so after that was all adjusted I have no problems.
Ah that does remind me of another snore trigger to me.... dehumidification. I was trying to tinker with the overall comfort in the house so tested out a dehumidifier to dry the air a little. When the humidity was consistently in the low 30's I started snoring like crazy. When I shut off the dehumidifier it went away... So Koushirou Koushirou , you might check how steamy you're keeping the ol bedroom...

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I have a dehumidifier on my cpap, but I rarely use it. I probably fill it up 2-3 times a year.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
If it wasn't labeled, I would have guessed it was the dynasty or dallas theme song.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Constipation from 3d off training, hotel food and slacking. Gawd damnit, back on fibers again.

• 1Solidarity

loudgas

a friend put me on to turkish style coffee, its like liquid laxative lol

• 1Mother of God