You know you're getting old when.....

Sheriff Cad

scientia potentia est
<Nazi Janitors>
35,521
85,960
Respectfully disagree. You used to be able to get free drinks and shiat while gambling and wasting your money. Buffets were cheap hoping to lure you in. Now drinks are 4x normal cost, and rooms have 11 different fees on them, so your 200$ a night special is now 350. Their tourism is down like almost 10% year over year.
I can respect that. I was really meaning just the Vegas vibe, how grown-up frat-boy it is, and always has been.
 
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
16,526
1,256
Respectfully disagree. You used to be able to get free drinks and shiat while gambling and wasting your money. Buffets were cheap hoping to lure you in. Now drinks are 4x normal cost, and rooms have 11 different fees on them, so your 200$ a night special is now 350. Their tourism is down like almost 10% year over year.
I think it's intentional. They aren't bothering to drain old ladies social security checks with cheap buffets and nickel slots anymore. They can make more money being a playground for rich people. I once watched a guy lose $60,000 in 20 minutes at a blackjack table. Not only did he do that but he probably dropped thousands on fancy hotels, restaurants, and shows. One guy like that is worth 500 regular people who lose $500 at the slot machine over a weekend.

Also gambling is legal in a lot more states now so they can stupid tax the poor without getting them to come to Vegas. The sports betting apps and prediction markets are that on steroids.
 

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
31,755
26,448
Respectfully disagree. You used to be able to get free drinks and shiat while gambling and wasting your money. Buffets were cheap hoping to lure you in. Now drinks are 4x normal cost, and rooms have 11 different fees on them, so your 200$ a night special is now 350. Their tourism is down like almost 10% year over year.

WTF drinks aren't free anymore? Fuck that shit

I think what you're both saying is "Bring back the Mob" and I agree.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,258
10,945
I was not aware that drinks were no longer free when gambling in Vegas but I rarely gamble period. We have casinos where I live now where they are still free. In 2011 when my mom came to visit from NC we went to NYNY and had to get special permission to drop a blackjack table to $5 (from $10). Here we had $1 tables and the most (really only) fun I had gambling was when my mom was learning to play $1 craps. I've heard the local $$$ dropper during the week had stopped and it's easy to see why. I just put 13.5 gallons of gas in my wife's car and it was almost $70.00. Who can afford to go to Vegas and blow money. Never got a rush from gambling anyhow.
 

Fucker

Log Wizard
17,356
43,065
I think it's intentional. They aren't bothering to drain old ladies social security checks with cheap buffets and nickel slots anymore. They can make more money being a playground for rich people. I once watched a guy lose $60,000 in 20 minutes at a blackjack table. Not only did he do that but he probably dropped thousands on fancy hotels, restaurants, and shows. One guy like that is worth 500 regular people who lose $500 at the slot machine over a weekend.

Also gambling is legal in a lot more states now so they can stupid tax the poor without getting them to come to Vegas. The sports betting apps and prediction markets are that on steroids.
I watched a vid about how tourism is in the crapper there, but turns out their take home profit over 10y is way up as you've said.

My lifetime loss on gambling isn't even $20, so I am far away from being their target demographic.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
4,678
4,121
I was not aware that drinks were no longer free when gambling in Vegas but I rarely gamble period. We have casinos where I live now where they are still free. In 2011 when my mom came to visit from NC we went to NYNY and had to get special permission to drop a blackjack table to $5 (from $10). Here we had $1 tables and the most (really only) fun I had gambling was when my mom was learning to play $1 craps. I've heard the local $$$ dropper during the week had stopped and it's easy to see why. I just put 13.5 gallons of gas in my wife's car and it was almost $70.00. Who can afford to go to Vegas and blow money. Never got a rush from gambling anyhow.

The one good thing that carried over from my horrendous bad luck in everything (hence the username, lucky 13!) is that I know I will win absolutely nothing at a game of chance, so gambling is just straight up boring to me and I'm not even tempted.
 

Haus

I am Big Balls!
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
21,858
90,896
I watched a vid about how tourism is in the crapper there, but turns out their take home profit over 10y is way up as you've said.

My lifetime loss on gambling isn't even $20, so I am far away from being their target demographic.
I think it started when, as someone mentioned, many of the "sins" you used to go to sin city for became legal in more places. I also read somewhere they essentially the casinos a while back noted that gambling was on the decline, so they pivoted into being "experience destinations" which is when you saw all the more trendy eateries pop up, and they started doing more musical act residencies, then added a hockey team, then a football team, soon as baseball team, etc.

There's just not much left that's "special" about Vegas, and they thrived when it was this unique thing out in the desert. The only thing propping up the convention/trade show business is that it's the only city in the country that can handle that many out of town visitors in that small a space. (I've seen companies moving company specific trade shows to places like Vancouver, and one even moved it's massive yearly show/event to Austin)
 

Burren

Golden Baronet of the Realm
7,601
14,207
I think it started when, as someone mentioned, many of the "sins" you used to go to sin city for became legal in more places. I also read somewhere they essentially the casinos a while back noted that gambling was on the decline, so they pivoted into being "experience destinations" which is when you saw all the more trendy eateries pop up, and they started doing more musical act residencies, then added a hockey team, then a football team, soon as baseball team, etc.

There's just not much left that's "special" about Vegas, and they thrived when it was this unique thing out in the desert. The only thing propping up the convention/trade show business is that it's the only city in the country that can handle that many out of town visitors in that small a space. (I've seen companies moving company specific trade shows to places like Vancouver, and one even moved it's massive yearly show/event to Austin)
And it’s the middle of nowhere in a desert that shouldn’t contain a town at all. Why go there when everything can be had elsewhere with less sleeze.
 
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,258
10,945
I will say this, when I started working in Vegas in 2015 I wondered if all the construction was people speculating , but it doesn't seem to stop. In all sectors. Yeah there is the strip for the tourists but it is a proper town as well. Still I would not want to live there.

Here is how little I gamble, here where I live we were waiting for my inlaws to meet us for dinner. I put $1 in a video poker machine and doubled it. Then I cashed out. My wife said to just blow it so I put both dollars back in and next hand it was $8. Then I cashed out for good, went to the cash window and everything. All I could see was it was going to go down.