Your best raid or mass pvp experience across the genre?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
- PvE : I'd say WoW'sLich King 25HMbecause we were on a progress race at the time, and the whole phase process was getting very tiring over the nights. Killing him was a hell of an achievement for the guild and each individual, a relief because some people took vacation and days off and a huge bump in the progress race (the fight was quite long, divided in phases and wipe would happen anytime but especially when you're already 20mins deep in the fight, very frustrating). Lich King 25HM will always be in my mind as the most achieving, frustrating, time consuming fight ever. Also fuck casual gamers who didn't have time to learn the strats, your family will never be more important than our guild, fagget.
Would read again

Raign

Golden Squire
Sarth+3, 10m was probably the most challenging and rewarding pve experience I have done though I enjoyed Ulduar a lot more. Did some raiding in EQ, but we weren't a great guild (Tunare was our 'crowning achievement') and frankly I found herding the cats for EQs large raids more frustration than it was worth most of the time.

PVP: I loved Shadowbane as well when it worked. To this day some of my memories of my confessor and fury doing city raids bring a smile to my face. WoW's arenas during TBC was pretty good times too. I played in some terrible comps (Priest + Mage, Priest + Warrior, Priest + Mage + Warlock, Priest + Hunter + Thief etc. etc.) and still had a ton of fun even though 2000 as high as any of my teams every got.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
These are the most depressing threads. Why do people still make these? All the great MMO experiences are in the past. Now were just dining on shit.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea buddy. Of course your experiences are in the past. What do you expect? We're going to predict what our lifetime favorite is and it's something that's not even on the horizon yet?

"I think we agree, the past is over."

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Before FFXI came out I wasn't playing anything and posting a lot on Guitar.com. A thread started where people were seeing if anyone was going to play it. I wound up playing it with a forum member there. We both waited in line on launch day but I had to work at night so he spent literally all day grinding gil so he could buy a worldpass (only way to roll on a friend's server at the time). We played together daily for 5 or 6 years, played every new MMO that came out together, and generally are really good friends now. I've met him a few times, sold him some of my guitar amps in person, etc. It's kind of crazy.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
These are the most depressing threads. Why do people still make these? All the great MMO experiences are in the past. Now were just dining on shit.
Well if you want a recent example I had alot of fun banging my head against Tequatl in GW2 during the last few days, with two kills in about a dozen tries. But most of that is nostalgia for open world raiding I think, especially since I havent done any serious raiding in a long time (never bothered with it in WoW beyond a bit of 10 mans).

Looking back I would say my PVE highlights come down to the encounters we as a guild worked our asses off for. Preparing for and finally beating the Emperor in Ssra, The Rathe council, Uqua. Theres alot more but somehow the bugged/untuned/lots of prep work encounters seem to be the most memorable. Also there's s 10 hour Vox CR there somewhere, Nagafen spawning as we prepare to trigger Ragefire, nuking our own members when charmed by the Cursed with assist call and all... really it's the guild you play with that made raiding worth doing, screw the +gooder. Honorable mention goes to fighting the Sleeper, although the zone crashed on us after a minute (not that many were alive by then).

PvP highlight is Planetside 1 because of sheer scope, when that came and you could actually defend or attack a base with combined arms and 100+ players on each side I was blown away. I have never been a fan of instanced PvP since. Played EVE of course, but I wasnt into PvP there and tried to avoid it (which you cant since I didnt stick to high sec only, but I didnt get into many fights due to being careful/evasive). Alterac valley while it has no time limit and was home server only was pretty cool too. I didnt play DaoC or some of the other more pvp-oriented games.

Tryxx_sl

shitlord
Kunark - Venril Sathir, Trakanon, Veeshan's Peak, Epic raids - you know, before we all became so uber expansion after expansion that it still meant something.
Everything in Velious except PoG, PoG sucked

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My first Fear raid in EQ would be my favorite. The first few hours of paranoia while we slowly cleared the roamers and desperately tried not to wipe the entire raid was so much fun. Hate would be a very close second, mainly since I spent so much time there and never got the goddammned emerald for the other half of my ranger epic. I ended up logging my main out in hate when I finally quit EQ.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
eq project 1999 red guild v guild pvp been pretty damn good lately

bytes

Molten Core Raider
None of you casuals ever pvp'd on Siege Perilous in UO? Easily the best times I've ever had in an mmo and the only time I embraced some RP faggotry, roaming the woods with the Blackoaks; fighting orcs and crazy asians on lamas.
I need a time machine for my evenings, fuck it.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I think PVE-wise, the most memorable raid was one of our Agnarr the Stormlord kills in BoT. I don't even remember exactly what went wrong, but basically, we entered his room, got all slaughtered, and one ranger started kiting him round and round and round. Meanwhile, we rezed everyone where we could, sat for med, rebuffed, and then started to cheer the kiter. Who was on chat "hey, is the MT ready? No, really, can you get him off me???". And we kept on cheering.

(after a while, we got the big bad back in the stairs and killed him. Said ranger made a warrior named Agnarr in WoW in memory of that one, and was MT for most of vanilla)

The second most memorable kill was our first Lucifron kill. We were about 30 only, because we had problems motivating everyone for raiding at the time. Getting him down was... good. Yes, good.

PVP-wise, I'm not much of a PVPer. But I do remember a few "last stands" in the depth of Darkness Falls after we lost the access, knew the tide of enemies was coming, and simply backed off to the end, and kept killing everyone who came to us (until attrition set in, and we lost).

Fish1_sl

shitlord
None of you casuals ever pvp'd on Siege Perilous in UO? Easily the best times I've ever had in an mmo and the only time I embraced some RP faggotry, roaming the woods with the Blackoaks; fighting orcs and crazy asians on lamas.
I need a time machine for my evenings, fuck it.
Could u describe it?

My friend played UO. He kept trying to get me to play, but I took one look at the graphics and said NO WAY! I was young and I suppose stupid. But it also would have cost me quite a lot of money to play it because I had no modem back then even after buying one I would have had to pay per minute to play. So I didn't even try it. A year or two later when EQ came out, one of my new friends in that game kept on getting fed up at the game (and so was I) and he said he is going back to UO. And I always felt bad that I never got to see it first time around.

iannis

Musty Nester
Could u describe it?

My friend played UO. He kept trying to get me to play, but I took one look at the graphics and said NO WAY! I was young and I suppose stupid. But it also would have cost me quite a lot of money to play it because I had no modem back then even after buying one I would have had to pay per minute to play. So I didn't even try it. A year or two later when EQ came out, one of my new friends in that game kept on getting fed up at the game (and so was I) and he said he is going back to UO. And I always felt bad that I never got to see it first time around.
Early UO was dogshit. I bought the game with a friend. We'd been playing muds with each other long enough to have the basic gist of it and we had a plan. So I logged in, walked around, learned the interface a little bit. Went to mine a rock (mine that rock!). Filled up my bag and walked back to town to meet up with my buddy. Some guy saw me and tried to gank me -- ok, that's cool I expected banditry, sometimes you win sometimes you manage to run away... haha sucker eat my dust... and then a guard walks over and 1shots me and I'm left going "ooooOOOoooOOO".

Called my buddy and told him the game was just going to be a dumb exploit fest and I was heading back to the muds. Didn't look back till EQ came along.

Edit: The game was pretty much an exploit fest when it came to pvp. And no, not all pvp is just an exploit fest.

Cybsled

PVE: During WOTLK we used to have a semi-PUG Naxx raider group. Bunch of different folks from different guilds. We had a core number of people who showed up each week, but we filled the gaps with random folks. Laid back, but fun. Wasn't the most epic or hardcore of raiding experiences, but it was the best IMO.

PVP: 1st month of Shadowbane. The game wasn't sustainable with the model they had in place, but it worked for that first month more or less.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Why would you have been turned off by UO's graphics? They were impressive for the time.

DAoC's pvp was great (really the only good thing about that game) and EQ's pvp was fun because it was such an integral part of the pve experience and people did some fucked up things. I still remember when Twelve Prophets got disbanded by GMs for corpse camping another guild in the Plane of Fear.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most satisfying PVE was probably downing Rathe Council. We were one of the first couple guilds to do so. It wasnt so much of the accomplishment itself as it was SoE cockblocking everyone out of unfinished PoTime by keeping it unkillable. I want to say we had to wait months before it was patched, but once it was defeated I remember actually jumping out of my chair with fists on the desk and saying "Fuck yes!" lol

Normal content I want to say one of the memorable moments was racing the competing guild on the server through the first floor of Vex Thall down the opposite wings. The agreement was the first guild to 2nd floor had zone rights. It came pretty close, but we prevailed in the end. That was pretty damn fun!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I think PVE-wise, the most memorable raid was one of our Agnarr the Stormlord kills in BoT. I don't even remember exactly what went wrong, but basically, we entered his room, got all slaughtered, and one ranger started kiting him round and round and round. Meanwhile, we rezed everyone where we could, sat for med, rebuffed, and then started to cheer the kiter. Who was on chat "hey, is the MT ready? No, really, can you get him off me???". And we kept on cheering.

(after a while, we got the big bad back in the stairs and killed him. Said ranger made a warrior named Agnarr in WoW in memory of that one, and was MT for most of vanilla)
Until I read that last bit I was going to ask what sever that happened on, since I did the exact same thing on my first Agnarr raid. I was in a fairly casual guild at the time but had a friend in a raiding guild that would invite me along when they had an opening. The only other ranger there got killed trying to kite him when things went sideways, so I stepped up and grabbed him as he was slaughtering the clerics. I was running around desperately hoping I wouldn't fuck up for about 10 minutes before the raid was ready to reengage. I managed to get killed in the hand off to the tank, but I was happy as hell I pulled it off.