Your Own Photography

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Feien

Ploppers
A few images from a recent trip to Finland.

2016-10-18_0001-jpg.93579.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some images from around Round Rock and Georgetown TX. Just moved out here, loving it so far.

32731630336_46b6a88fac_k.jpg
32778288820_2fc774956b_k.jpg
33175017710_bcfd2a05ce_k.jpg
33401603142_0ecf3f72fe_k.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

woot!

Trakanon Raider
I fall into this category unfortunately
One of the best advices I ever got regarding photography was given to me by a journalist in Edinburgh, and I've been sticking to it 95% of the time since* :

Manual mode : F5.6 - 1/500 ; and work from there. (as well as being locked to 200iso, and shooting in raw, but if you have an SLR, you should already be doing that)
Play with the speed dial first, down to 1/90, after that shutter speed is too slow to shoot handheld.
If you still need a bit more light, open the aperture a bit more (but try to avoid going to the lowest value possible if you want a sharp picture), or try to find a support to stabilize your camera.

If that doesn't cut it, there is no secret : you either need a tripod or a flash (depending on what you are shooting), because what the camera would do next if it was in an auto/semi-auto mode would be to jack up the iso, resulting in a noisy picture (well again, it depends on what you are shooting and for what purpose, if you are not planning on getting large, high quality prints, it's not that important).

*the rest of the time, it means that I have less that 1 or 2 seconds to make the shot, with no time for prep ; so I actually do switch to full auto, but knowing that I will most likely end up not using the picture.

pic tax from my instagram
DSC03318_HDR.jpg
DSC03407.jpg
DSC03663_HDR.jpg

• 6Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It really isn't difficult in full manual. It's a relationship of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. Each one will affect one another. You typically want to keep your ISO as low as possible (noise as woot said). From there, its getting enough light by balancing your speed / aperture. Just focus on 1 subject and keep messing with the settings. You will begin to see how one affects the other. Then start dialing in tricks like how aperture will affect the depth of field. You just need time to sit with a couple fixed objects and start tweaking the settings.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So I was actually in a photography club in university back in the day, used to have an old 35mm pentax, here's a sample critique away...
Scan312.jpg

Keep in mind this is a scan, and I am not that old that we didn't have color film lol

• 6Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
G would have loved this thread. He shot film, standard 35 mm and some medium format when he could borrow a camera... from the way back.

• 2Like
  • 1Nationalist
Reactions: 2 users

loudgas

One more, not sure if this should be in the sexy selfies thread though lol
Scan318.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

woot!

Trakanon Raider
So I was actually in a photography club in university back in the day, used to have an old 35mm pentax, here's a sample critique away...
Keep in mind this is a scan, and I am not that old that we didn't have color film lol
Nice pics, I really like the portrait.
You asked for critique, so let's be constructive ! :p
For the first pic, I would tell you the very same thing I told Drek when he was posting in this thread on the previous site : Do not be afraid of the dark :)
In your first picture, the whites are grey, the blacks are grey ; there is no black and no white.
(Compare to the self-portrait, the sweater and camera are black, and you can still tell it's embossed, see what I mean ? )
Also for the university shot, personally, I'd straighten it, and cut a bit of the foreground pavement (ask yourself : what does it bring to the picture ? Balance ? not really. Aesthetics ? Nope, it's a white blurry patch, so let's cut it ! wheeeeeeee ! )
I'll just quick go ahead and do a quick edit, what you think ? (Again, this is a personal view, I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" in photography, it's a highly subjective topic)
Scan312-Edit-2.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

loudgas

I see what you mean, thanks it does look better already. Could the same affect have been achieved through exposure settings on the camera, or is this only achieved through photoshop?

woot!

Trakanon Raider
I see what you mean, thanks it does look better already. Could the same affect have been achieved through exposure settings on the camera, or is this only achieved through photoshop?
If shot on film / analog photography, this would be achieved during the processing of the film, by waiting a bit more when the paper is exposed under the enlarger. That would be the best solution imho (no quality loss by avoiding the extra steps of scanning and computer editing).
You can do it with photoshop too as well, but digital post processing is quicker and much easier if done through Capture One or Lightroom (photo processors).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

loudgas

I did the film processing/and print as well. At the time I was more happy something showed up and less concerned about quality :)

Any suggestions on an entry level DSLR?