Your Own Photography

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
This isn't a great shot or anything but hiking in DV a few years back I suddenly recognized where I was which was a pretty cool childhood throwback nerdgasm.
041.JPG

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Some of you guys need to invest in either a good macro lens or extension tubes with decent glass at the very least. What are the majority of you taking pictures on? An Iphone?

Subotai

Thief, Archer
Some of you guys need to invest in either a good macro lens or extension tubes with decent glass at the very least. What are the majority of you taking pictures on? An Iphone?
My workhorse is a Canon 7D mark II using a Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L USM telephoto. About a $2500 setup, so not too bad. Wide angle stuff is with a Canon 10-22mm lens.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider

My main gear is Sony A7Rm2 and walk around camera is Sony A6000. I have Sony 16-35/F4, 24-70/F4, Tamron 150-600/F5.6 and Laowa 12mm/F2.8. I had a 105/F2.8 Nikon macro lens when I had a D800 but never used it much so sold it when I sold all my Nikon gear for the switch.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
6D with the following:
Canon 24-70mm f/4L (Was a bundle with the body)
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 (primarily bought for night shots)
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (has macro at 200-300mm if a switch is enabled)

Definitely have plenty to learn when it comes to using this thing but it's been a fun process so far.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Subotai Subotai dig the composition of the kid in the smoke. The noise is pretty prominent but understandable with that setup. Have tried shooting your night stuff in raw and doing post on it?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
My main gear is Sony A7Rm2 and walk around camera is Sony A6000. I have Sony 16-35/F4, 24-70/F4, Tamron 150-600/F5.6 and Laowa 12mm/F2.8. I had a 105/F2.8 Nikon macro lens when I had a D800 but never used it much so sold it when I sold all my Nikon gear for the switch.

Nice. I was tempted to switch to sony but slower autofocus, bad battery life, limited glass and weird ergo feeling when putting tele's on it turned me away. If I just did landscape I'd totally move over to sony. Also that Laowa 12mm/f2.8 looks sharp as hell. Did you do post on those?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
6D with the following:
Canon 24-70mm f/4L (Was a bundle with the body)
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 (primarily bought for night shots)
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (has macro at 200-300mm if a switch is enabled)

Definitely have plenty to learn when it comes to using this thing but it's been a fun process so far.

Nice. Something seems to be off with your focus in a few pics, esp the bird one a few pages back or whatever. Dig the composition on the shooting star pic, definitely assuming you used the rokin on that - Not really much noise - nice.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea depth of field and focus are the two of the major things that I need to practice/improve. Especially since i'm trying to stick to manual focus instead of falling back to auto, view finder is kinda hard to gauge if everything I am going for is in focus using live view provides some assistance but if i'm trying to shoot something small that moves a lot (the smaller bird) I don't usually have enough time to play around and dial it in. It's all pretty much operator error/inexperience so hopefully over time i'll pick it up.

I'll have another chance at trying to get some better focused shots at the end of August. We'll be crashing again at the house that I did the recent photos at. Definitely hoping for some clear sky this time around especially since it gets cold enough in late august that mosquitoes start to calm down. It'll also be the week after the peak of the perseid meteor shower so there should still be a slightly higher chance at seeing a bunch while the moon is in its new phase, the sky should be pitch black.

The Rokinon is inexpensive and works amazing in low light I had the 16mm APS-C specific version of it for my T3 so it made buying the full frame one a no brainer.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yea depth of field and focus are the two of the major things that I need to practice/improve. Especially since i'm trying to stick to manual focus instead of falling back to auto, view finder is kinda hard to gauge if everything I am going for is in focus using live view provides some assistance but if i'm trying to shoot something small that moves a lot (the smaller bird) I don't usually have enough time to play around and dial it in. It's all pretty much operator error/inexperience so hopefully over time i'll pick it up.

I'll have another chance at trying to get some better focused shots at the end of August. We'll be crashing again at the house that I did the recent photos at. Definitely hoping for some clear sky this time around especially since it gets cold enough in late august that mosquitoes start to calm down. It'll also be the week after the peak of the perseid meteor shower so there should still be a slightly higher chance at seeing a bunch while the moon is in its new phase, the sky should be pitch black.

The Rokinon is inexpensive and works amazing in low light I had the 16mm APS-C specific version of it for my T3 so it made buying the full frame one a no brainer.

Don't bother manual focusing for wildlife - do autofocus unless it's literally an extremely static (almost never with wildlife) subject where you can take time for composition. Also I don't know which version of the 6d you have, but either way I'd strongly recommend you download the manual for it and read it, then reread it, go take pictures, then reread it etc. Check out the section on focus modes - AI Servo will be your friend when autofocusing on moving objects. Depending on your camera there are other adjusts you can do to help with autofocusing in wildlife scenarios but this former is a really good place to start.

Diggin the night stuff. I'd play around with composition next time you do astro. If wherever you're going affords it, try to potential insert a foreground subject, maybe even with light. Using the term foreground with astro can be kinda misleading - because everything is in the "foreground" in a sense. Check out Chris Burkard's photography for inspiration.

Looking forward to seeing what you come back with.

Edit - I'd also recommend grabbing the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Subotai

Thief, Archer
Subotai Subotai dig the composition of the kid in the smoke. The noise is pretty prominent but understandable with that setup. Have tried shooting your night stuff in raw and doing post on it?
I have..and usually shoot RAW for my more serious stuff, but was running around Boston doing touristy during the day and just caught this after leaving a restaurant near the harbor. More spur of the moment...

woot!

Trakanon Raider
from a trip through Armenia a couple days ago :
DSC06629.jpg
DSC06866.jpg
DSC06915_HDR.jpg
DSC07140.jpg

and a couple more pics in the travel section post : Armenia

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Short trip through the local prairie/marsh land preserve today, bird and dragonfly turned out a bit blurry ah well.:

124cB6sh.jpg

aFazcvih.jpg

LlkQaHih.jpg

uWBsixvh.jpg

WitwiKyh.jpg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Lake Huron MI, before moon came out.

Tye2FWL.jpg

Next two are at gravel pit by my cabin, Light in background is Higgins Lake.

LihS6IX.jpg

Mww3J7R.jpg

First try at HDR, not bad.
lzCaswk.jpg

Taken with cheap canon T5 and Samyang 14mm.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users