Your Own Photography

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Helios 58mm M3

Test shot for swirly bokeh with my kid. Pretty sharp little lens if you can get focus down. Taken at f2.0
Would be better on full frame, but such are dreams.
RMdikan.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I found a used Sony a7 for about $750 on amazon marketplace. I asked the seller about shutter count and she told me she has just under 50K in 6 month old camera used mostly for timelapse. Now this seems kind of high to me to take a risk on. Ive searched throughout the webs for numbers and there is none published. Closest you get is some 3rd party websites that take users counts and compile averages, but this could be shady when not enough people publish their numbers or just fake them to be trolls lol. But their average seemed to be about the 115K range.

What do you think? 50K actuation? $750 excellent shape camera otherwise? Im just a hobbyist and cant afford to plop down thousands for new gear.

woot!

Trakanon Raider
What do you think? 50K actuation? $750 excellent shape camera otherwise? Im just a hobbyist and cant afford to plop down thousands for new gear.
Considering the A7 costs 999$ new , 750 doesn't seem to be an amazing deal, unless it comes with a lens.
Rather than the amount of clics, my main concern would be : how was the camera handled when it came to changing/swapping the lens ? I am super paranoid about dust, sensor cleaning is no joke.
Also, is it still under warranty ? (and is it transferable to you ?).
I'd rather pay the extra 250$ and get a new one. Used, I wouldn't pay more than 500 (well I wouldn't buy a used camera body personally, but paying more than half the price for a used electronic device just doesn't seem right).
Buying used lenses is fine as long as you can test them before.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Somehow forgot to post this out of the collection of shots I took during my last trip no editing done on this one. Should be hitting the road next Saturday to head up for my next trip can't wait!:
nThPmkA.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nice what filter are you using? I hope to catch part of the eclipse but it's looking like a mixed bag of rain and overcast where we will be staying on that Monday. I thought about picking one up but price wise and for how often I would probably use it i couldn't justify it.

Subotai

Thief, Archer
Nice what filter are you using? I hope to catch part of the eclipse but it's looking like a mixed bag of rain and overcast where we will be staying on that Monday. I thought about picking one up but price wise and for how often I would probably use it i couldn't justify it.
Thousand Oaks has great solar filters for cameras...it's where I got mine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Couple of others from hike last weekend, same preserve as the earlier photos.

O8Uw36Vh.jpg

(Wing kinda got in the way in the foreground but I like it regardless :p)

QzJ8Nhmh.jpg

Song sparrow, but it's got all of its feathers poofed up on its head

9FetMTyh.jpg

Goldfinches playing in midair, image kinda blew out a bit because I went from shooting stuff in bushes to quickly trying to catch these two goofing around.

bYPknXvh.jpg

One of the above settling down on a branch

FmS0zWzh.jpg

Macro bee shot

• 5Like

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll be stuck in southern AZ for a convention that day, so only 65% cover for me. I've seen on some forums that you should remove your filter once it is eclipsed and the corona is showing ( if you are where it is total)...what have you heard?

Same, I also use a mirror less camera so I wont be looking thru any optics

• 1Like

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider

Thousand Oaks, found one on Amazon back in June, 95mm for my Tamron 150-600 telephoto

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Green flash caught in Sardegna, Italy.

Sorry for the potato quality, but my 200mm only zooms so much.

Greenflash.png

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just picked up a used Canon 6D with a 24-105 f4L ism usm. Supposedly the only marks are bottom tripod mount, other than that it's mint. It was used in some office and has low shutter count and barely used. With all acesories and boxes and shit for $1450. Amazon.

Was going to get the a7 brand new, but I hear the firmware has some destructive shit called star eater, where it tries to erase hot pixels in anything over 3.4 sec exposures. So it's basically trying to erase white dots (stars) and it's essentially useless for astro like I like doing. Might pick up a body later if they ever fix it or at least make an on off option for that shit.

• 1Like

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nice, been liking my 6D so far.

Not much wild life in the area this weekend so far except for this frog explosion, you can take a step and 4-5 of them will jump in various directions away from you.
PU0XQjh.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Moonball

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nice, been liking my 6D so far.

Not much wild life in the area this weekend so far except for this frog explosion, you can take a step and 4-5 of them will jump in various directions away from you.
PU0XQjh.jpg

Nice, I remember these kind of frogs all over the place when I lived in Bangor ME when I was a kid back in the early 70's. Use to play in the ponds and gather buckets of their eggs and watch them hatch from the buckets in the backyard.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Best I could do with what I had. Kind of kicking myself that I didn't prepare and have the proper equipment to take some good shots. Oh well, I'll get a better shot in 2027? when it comes right over Dallas. Hope some of you with actual equipment got some good shots!

View attachment 151860

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Watched it after coming back from a really shitty hike. Like I had hiking gear on but this trail leading to a water fall was like a training course for one or those tough mudder races. Ended up having to turn back Midway through just wasn't equipped to be ankle deep in mud.

Place we are staying at:
zJePCo4h.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users