Your Own Photography

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Took these with a Canon Rebel DSLR. Can't remember exact model, and it's still the base camera that came in the box.
rrr_img_2219.jpg
rrr_img_2220.jpg

rrr_img_2219.jpg

rrr_img_2220.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I hate you so much for making me go back on my word of continuing to lurk (oh well, grow community, grow!).

opiate82, your 2nd truffles pictures is awesome. As are your sunset dives. Hope this thread keeps going, will be contributing.
Thanks, I am very amateur but every once in a while something turns out for me. Quality by volume works well for me. My parents are both also very good photographers, I will have to ask them if I can post some of their work, it is very good.

One more from me. This was taken with my cell phone so wasn't much I could do with it, but considering it was a cell-phone picture I thought it turned out nice. Last time I checked Two Beers Brewing was still using it on their website.
gzxUj.jpg

gzxUj.jpg

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
How much post do you guys do on your photos? I love taking pictures but I get bored once I import them into Lightroom.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
How much post do you guys do on your photos? I love taking pictures but I get bored once I import them into Lightroom.
I'm just the opposite, I have a hard time finding the motivation to go out and take pictures (most of my pictures are when I had my camera with me, but hadn't necessarily intended on trying to take pictures), but I will spend hours in Lightroom tweaking one picture. Ansel Adams always said, "you don't take a photograph, you make it." (Although I'm sure it was just as much in reference to prepping for the shot as it was processing it).

Drek_sl

shitlord
Thanks, I am very amateur but every once in a while something turns out for me. Quality by volume works well for me. My parents are both also very good photographers, I will have to ask them if I can post some of their work, it is very good.

One more from me. This was taken with my cell phone so wasn't much I could do with it, but considering it was a cell-phone picture I thought it turned out nice. Last time I checked Two Beers Brewing was still using it on their website.
Go thank your parents, it seems you have an eye for creativity. Christmas is coming up, you should ask them for some gear.

Zodiac_sl said:
Depends on the shot and what it needs.

(I just noticed on the bottom right, some lady with a really red coat snuck in the picture....)

7799895888_04e41d6deb_c.jpg

7799895888_04e41d6deb_c.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Go thank your parents, it seems you have an eye for creativity. Christmas is coming up, you should ask them for some gear.
Who I really have to thank is my great-grandpa, he is my dads influence. My parents have a slew of gear, 5DII, 7D and a ton of lenses. I can pretty much borrow from them at any time which is nice since I can ill-afford yet another expensive hobby.

My dad ended up with a lot of my great grandpas slides and negatives and has been working to digitize them all. There are easily 10,000 pictures to go through, probably more. Here are some of his shots:

sUOjPl.jpg

He got a chance to actually climb the Golden Gate bridge and has some amazing shots from there.
vQsn1l.jpg

This is a shot of my great grandma racing cars.
znahil.jpg

Shot taken at a jeep jamboree. I can also trace my love for 4-wheeling back to my great grandpa.
cPI96l.jpg

sUOjPl.jpg

vQsn1l.jpg

znahil.jpg

cPI96l.jpg

quse

the pupe
Might as well =/

E: Is there a size limit? I've tried linking from another site versus uploading attachments and nothing seems to work. I shall resize, I guess - not like anything I post compares to a lot of the talent in this thread!

Drek_sl

shitlord
Might as well =/
rrr_img_2515.jpg
Great shot!

Was playing around today, tried some B&W and some bokeh (kind of for jokes, there is no subject so its nothing special). Let me know your thoughts on the B&W ones, if I need more/less contrast ect...

8271809222_cdb86dc11b_c.jpg

8270743783_8e57798a48_c.jpg

rrr_img_2515.jpg

8271809222_cdb86dc11b_c.jpg

8270743783_8e57798a48_c.jpg

Chutzpah_sl

shitlord
I haven't seen much HDR photos in this thread. The first photo is a 6 minute exposure, processed as a sudo-HDR image. I'm big on the post-processing
smile.png

edit: if you're wondering, I shoot with a bottom of the line Canon Rebel XS from 2008.
rrr_img_2540.jpg
rrr_img_2541.jpg
rrr_img_2542.jpg

rrr_img_2538.jpg
rrr_img_2539.jpg

smile.png

rrr_img_2540.jpg

rrr_img_2541.jpg

rrr_img_2542.jpg

rrr_img_2538.jpg

rrr_img_2539.jpg

Desidero

N00b
Was playing around today, tried some B&W and some bokeh (kind of for jokes, there is no subject so its nothing special). Let me know your thoughts on the B&W ones, if I need more/less contrast ect...
The B&Ws could use a bit more contrast. The fact that the composition is so bad makes the lack of contrast seem worse than it might have otherwise been though. Put up a B&W with content that you like and it'll be easier to judge.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is great. Makes me want to try to get a similar shot of my dog. I freaking love dogs.

E: Is there a size limit? I've tried linking from another site versus uploading attachments and nothing seems to work. I shall resize, I guess - not like anything I post compares to a lot of the talent in this thread!
Go to imgur.com and upload them (you don't even need an account) and then copy/paste the bbcode links here.

Shot taken at a jeep jamboree. I can also trace my love for 4-wheeling back to my great grandpa.
cPI96l.jpg
Love it.

haHql.jpg

h90EL.jpg

5851742996_84e21dc83b_z.jpg

cPI96l.jpg

haHql.jpg

h90EL.jpg

Drek_sl

shitlord
The B&Ws could use a bit more contrast. The fact that the composition is so bad makes the lack of contrast seem worse than it might have otherwise been though. Put up a B&W with content that you like and it'll be easier to judge.
How about this here.. Thoughts? Btw - I like the composition
wink.png
8272008187_da799a4f54_c.jpg

This is great. Makes me want to try to get a similar shot of my dog. I freaking love dogs.

haHql.jpg

h90EL.jpg
Shot 1 -

I like this shot but it's too centered, I keep wanting more space on the right hand side. Awesome DOF though.

Shot 2 -

I love this concept, it might be difficult to do but you should try the same shot but have the things in the foreground in focus.

Post more photos!

I have a bunch of that the dogs, did you see the one by the water? It's my favorite (its on the previous page, or just look at my posting history, I have only been posting here).

wink.png

haHql.jpg

wink.png

h90EL.jpg

haHql.jpg

h90EL.jpg

Desidero

N00b
How about this here.. Thoughts? Btw - I like the composition
wink.png
Sorry about that - I took your comment in the original post as "none of these are significant" rather than "the random bokeh ones aren't significant".

I think the way you processed the picture was fine - I like a little more contrast, but that's just a personal preference. As for the composition, the particular angle that you captured makes it feel like a bunch of jumbled lines going in random directions to me. Usually when people do the "B&W lines" thing, there's some sort of pattern or effect created by the lines. Since your strongest line kind of leads the viewer's eye off of the picture rather than guiding it to the center/right, it feels a bit off to me. Most of the yellow lines in my marked up version also draw your eyes to that upper left side. The lines that come in from the right are very much out of focus (yes, I know it's intentional), so their ability to influence the viewer's eye is reduced.

Of course, this is all a matter of opinion... if you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I hope you don't mind my explanation. I enjoy looking at other peoples' photos. I'll put some of mine up later and you can tear them apart if you'd like.

wink.png

wink.png

Drek_sl

shitlord
Sorry about that - I took your comment in the original post as "none of these are significant" rather than "the random bokeh ones aren't significant".

I think the way you processed the picture was fine - I like a little more contrast, but that's just a personal preference. As for the composition, the particular angle that you captured makes it feel like a bunch of jumbled lines going in random directions to me. Usually when people do the "B&W lines" thing, there's some sort of pattern or effect created by the lines. Since your strongest line kind of leads the viewer's eye off of the picture rather than guiding it to the center/right, it feels a bit off to me. Most of the yellow lines in my marked up version also draw your eyes to that upper left side. The lines that come in from the right are very much out of focus (yes, I know it's intentional), so their ability to influence the viewer's eye is reduced.

Of course, this is all a matter of opinion... if you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I hope you don't mind my explanation. I enjoy looking at other peoples' photos. I'll put some of mine up later and you can tear them apart if you'd like.
This is great, I like having constructive criticism. The last thing I'm going to do is get dickhurt and rip your stuff apart. I'm sure people have looked through this thread but have been too timid to post in fear of the "lol you take that with a potato!? picture sucks" comments. I would like to encourage people to post, getting into a fight with you (specially after I asked for further comments) is not going to do that.

Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Feien_sl said:
NOPE. I would be so scared of that shark biting me.

VIDSv.jpg

VIDSv.jpg

Desidero

N00b
Okay, here are some pictures from my first outing with a DSLR:

Random guy jumping off of a small ledge at the top of a steep sand dune:
IwKzp.jpg

Some flowers. It's not perfect, but I kind of like how it came out.
u8Hzm.jpg

Two closeups of bees... I like macro-style shots (these were taken with a non-macro kit lens though).
dC1RZ.jpg

iRqkc.jpg

IwKzp.jpg

IwKzp.jpg

u8Hzm.jpg

u8Hzm.jpg

dC1RZ.jpg

dC1RZ.jpg

iRqkc.jpg

iRqkc.jpg

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Another I had printed (in fact the only other I had printed in large size) and put in a frame at 50 x 50 cm.

rrr_img_2959.jpg

rrr_img_2959.jpg

rrr_img_2959.jpg