Youtube Post 2020

Goatface

the channel/video will be basically dead when marked not for kids
no targeted ads, comments, notifications and removed from search

edit
yeah, was to early for me to be able to read and think.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
the channel/video will be basically dead when marked not for kids
no targeted ads, comments, notifications and removed from search

You got it backwards.
The "For Kids" videos will not have targeted ads..
That's the whole point of this.

So just mark everything "Not for kids"... kids still find it and you still get revenue.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You got it backwards.
The "For Kids" videos will not have targeted ads..
That's the whole point of this.

So just mark everything "Not for kids"... kids still find it and you still get revenue.

It's like you skipped past the whole part about YT itself will decide what is and is not for kids. Label it anything you want, but they and their awesome learning program have the final say. And if you label too much stuff "not for kids" and they disagree with you? Great reason for them to kick you off the site.

Now, tell me the line - show me where YT is going to stop calling a video "for kids" and start calling a video "not for kids". Oh you can't? Huh, then I guess you and half of the content creators on YT will just have to wait and see if they ban your shit outright or otherwise give strikes to your account.

• 1Like

Goatface

do you think they will apply the rules to the big kids channels?
the one nursery rhyme channel is like top 5 channel of all of youtube. saw 2 kids with 39mil and 22mil subs in the top 50.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What are we talking about here? Are you implying channels like pewdiepie might get taken down because youtube might decide their top creator plays too many video games? Or are we talking about political commentators like sargon, tim pool and styxx might get taken somehow?

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The retards at YouTube change the classification of videos without the content creators permission.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The retards at YouTube change the classification of videos without the content creators permission.

you know whats bullshit? videos EXACTLY LIKE THIS.

there is no reason for this shit vid to be on youtube, so in order to "get around" youtubes low content policy (just having a static image or low quality powerpoint) , they upload garbage like random video game capture footage and talk over it

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Molten Core Raider
I would be sad if it did, like was mentioned, I learn a ton of stuff on YT, and find it fun to share hobbies. I tend to watch the stuff where people are building stuff (michael cthulu, man at arms, etc) I get some neat ideas and motivation for other projects that way.

I suspect that this nonsense will be the beginnings of allowing youtube other ways of controlling content. It will start with what they choose to allow to advertise, and eventually end with what they choose to allow to be published. As long as there is "discretion" in a policy, it can be subverted :(.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

What are we talking about here? Are you implying channels like pewdiepie might get taken down because youtube might decide their top creator plays too many video games? Or are we talking about political commentators like sargon, tim pool and styxx might get taken somehow?
pewdiepie might certainly get fucked up to stop youtube from getting another $100mil fine. taken down probably not, but remove comments, notifications, search results. targeted/personalized ads (75% to 85% less money) if his content is labeled appeals to kids. btw. i have no idea what ages watch him, is his 9 year old army meme real? lol

this is all about cookies and data collection, youtube can't do it to kids. if enough kids watch pewdiepie vids, gets tracked, served ads, youtube will have to stop it or FTC will step in and starting fucking with both of them.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
It's like you skipped past the whole part about YT itself will decide what is and is not for kids. Label it anything you want, but they and their awesome learning program have the final say. And if you label too much stuff "not for kids" and they disagree with you? Great reason for them to kick you off the site.

Now, tell me the line - show me where YT is going to stop calling a video "for kids" and start calling a video "not for kids". Oh you can't? Huh, then I guess you and half of the content creators on YT will just have to wait and see if they ban your shit outright or otherwise give strikes to your account.
OK so answer me this.

If you label everything "Not for Kids"... and Youtube then labels it "For Kids"... and then someone has beef over the vid because something in it shouldn't be "For Kids", now who is liable?

You think Youtube is going to put themselves in that position?
I guarantee Youtube will mostly be switching content from "For Kids".. to "Not For Kids".
They aren't going to open themselves up to litigation like that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
pewdiepie might certainly get fucked up to stop youtube from getting another $100mil fine. taken down probably not, but remove comments, notifications, search results. targeted/personalized ads (75% to 85% less money) if his content is labeled appeals to kids. btw. i have no idea what ages watch him, is his 9 year old army meme real? lol

this is all about cookies and data collection, youtube can't do it to kids. if enough kids watch pewdiepie vids, gets tracked, served ads, youtube will have to stop it or FTC will step in and starting fucking with both of them.
oh ok, its the game player people. about what i figured. those guys have options, they can move to twitch to play games or just tweak their videos to be more kid friendly. life is all about tradeoffs.

OneofOne

OK so answer me this.

If you label everything "Not for Kids"... and Youtube then labels it "For Kids"... and then someone has beef over the vid because something in it shouldn't be "For Kids", now who is liable?

You think Youtube is going to put themselves in that position?
I guarantee Youtube will mostly be switching content from "For Kids".. to "Not For Kids".
They aren't going to open themselves up to litigation like that.

I think that's a valid point. But I think YT is going to fuck people from both directions. There are too many channels/videos, and too many YT mods involved for it to be otherwise. I also think they'll use it as cover to help push people off the platform that they want, but that's a whole other issue.

OneofOne

you know whats bullshit? videos EXACTLY LIKE THIS.

there is no reason for this shit vid to be on youtube, so in order to "get around" youtubes low content policy (just having a static image or low quality powerpoint) , they upload garbage like random video game capture footage and talk over it

Bro, you do NOT adhere to the Asian stereotype at all sometimes. Better watch out before they come revoke your card.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Bro, you do NOT adhere to the Asian stereotype at all sometimes. Better watch out before they come revoke your card.
oh, so you don't see that they just use randomly captured gameplay footage to skirt youtubes non content policy and rant JUST ENOUGH to get over the 15min thresh hold (i'm sure the new thresh hold is 10mins now) for a good ad paying video? jesus fuck open your yes you blind retard before you complain about my squinty eyes.

• 1Picard

OneofOne

oh, so you don't see that they just use randomly captured gameplay footage to skirt youtubes non content policy and rant JUST ENOUGH to get over the 15min thresh hold (i'm sure the new thresh hold is 10mins now) for a good ad paying video? jesus fuck open your yes you blind retard before you complain about my squinty eyes.

"Fucking retards creating videos to discuss things on their channel 100% relevant to their channel that doesn't really have any visuals to go along with it, so uses visuals appealing to normal fans of the channel, while discussing issues fans of the channel care about!" Harumph I say!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Conspiracy theory time. That FTC lawyer is a real twat talking about shooting youtube "fish in a barrel".

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The biggest income generator for the site are kids. They click on the advertisements. They watch the clickbait videos over and over again. They bug their parents to buy things.

I have not watched an advertisement on Youtube since 2007? 2008? At least a decade. When an advertisement has managed to sneak through, it annoys me to the point that I will avoid whatever product it is advertising.

Fuck Youtube for all of their pandering, behind the scene garbage and how they screw over the honest/good 'content creators' to pump people like the Paul brothers. If you want to support a creator, buy some of their merchandise or donate to them. A $10 tossed to them will be more than they make from advertisement revenue from you for the entirety of your viewership.
Sure but nothing is stopping them from using a flag of convenience to get around their problems just like companies do in maritime shipping. The advertisers will still show up, no matter what Youtube pretends, and so will the kids. All they'd have to do is make it clear that nothing will actually change.

That or they could go back to being a platform that isn't responsible for what its users post. But then they wouldn't be able to shape the narrative on any subject they wished to anymore; a supposedly American company enforcing "hate speech" laws is absurd. They should just ditch the Youtube name as it's clearly not what they want to be anymore.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There have been coordinated attacks on creators by the media since 2016. It's a given that they see YouTube as a threat. But despite that, the site is still growing. They will be fine

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
nah man, fuck the heads at Youtube, i learn a goddamned lot from Youtube videos. i know how to fix things myself, i know how shit works much better than i ever have. youtube has saved me loads of money on many different things.
Yeah this is my mode of YouTube usage. I treat it like a library. I need to know how to change out a broken tail light assembly? Hello YouTube. Need to change a cracked screen on a cellphone? Hello Youtube. Spend time on it for entertainment? Nope, not really.

• 2Like