YouTube's War on Ad Blockers

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
at what point do these ads become so annoying and obtrusive that you end up hating the sponsors and it defeats the purpose of injecting these ads in the first place? i cant stop that first ad(s) on firefox. i tried all the advice here and elsewhere. purged my cache, got all the no scrpts, tampermonkies and privacy thingies. nothing works. Ublock is really the only thing that does work, but as i said it cant stop that first ad or two. i guess i have to live with it.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
at what point do these ads become so annoying and obtrusive that you end up hating the sponsors and it defeats the purpose of injecting these ads in the first place? i cant stop that first ad(s) on firefox. i tried all the advice here and elsewhere. purged my cache, got all the no scrpts, tampermonkies and privacy thingies. nothing works. Ublock is really the only thing that does work, but as i said it cant stop that first ad or two. i guess i have to live with it.
your extenstions are auto update?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
at what point do these ads become so annoying and obtrusive that you end up hating the sponsors and it defeats the purpose of injecting these ads in the first place?

Very quickly. I have even tried telling google assistant "Hey Google, I will NEVER subscribe to Grammarly, stop wasting their money showing me ads for it."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
56HFuTH.jpg

• 1Truth!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
These youtube ads are fucking ridiculous. Trying to watch a 10 minute video and had 6 ad breaks.
They specifically said they are going to shove so many ads down our throats we have to buy premium.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Regarding Adblock Plus - they've been collaborating with ad companies for a long time.

Privacy Badger is no longer necessary and hasn't been in some time because it is effectively "baked in" to the functionality of UBO.

All you need is UBO. The more browser extensions you install, the easier it is to fingerprint you, as well. If you want a second level of ad protection beyond UBO, do it at the DNS level with Pihole, Adguard, etc.

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I haven’t seen an ad or gotten a warning still. I don’t use lots of YouTube though. In general I’m very adverse to all forms of social media. I’d say that I generally watch maybe a few videos a week, and if I lost YouTube forever I’d only bother to burner login for the rare how to video on some repair/upgrade to my house I don’t already know once every few months, as that’s the only thing I ever really feel I need YouTube for.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Firefox updated the other day and today i havent seen any ads. i dunno. something happened.

Firefox is trash and its memory management is so poor on tabs to the degree it mimics a memory leak, but it's still the only reliable go to. Brave didn't last.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
All you need is UBO. The more browser extensions you install, the easier it is to fingerprint you, as well. If you want a second level of ad protection beyond UBO, do it at the DNS level with Pihole, Adguard, etc.

Hopefully the war doesn't escalate to where Pihole is necessary. Several of my friends have already set up Pihole anyway in anticipation.

• 2Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Hopefully the war doesn't escalate to where Pihole is necessary. Several of my friends have already set up Pihole anyway in anticipation.

Think I'm just going to go this route. Anyone have info on buying/configuring?

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
pihole doesn't work on youtube, hasn't for a long time, if you are thinking it will

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Unless something changed Pihole used to be at least partial coverage even if not fully setup. I guess it's true it's not a one-stop shop like UBO is and that disclaimer should be noted.

I don't know what "a long time" is, but this github was still being updated somewhat recently in 2022 and 2023.

I'm still hearing full blockage given proper setup.

Last edited:

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Unless something changed Pihole used to be at least partial coverage even if not fully setup. I guess it's true it's not a one-stop shop like UBO is and that disclaimer should be noted.

I don't know what "a long time" is, but this github was still being updated somewhat recently in 2022 and 2023.

I'm still hearing full blockage given proper setup.
Yea, I used to have PiHole running years ago and it was a bit spotty. At that time it did not do anything for things like the Youtube app on the Firestick, Roku, or Shield. Since I was using one of the "high" security lists, I also had to manually whitelist sites that various people in the house wanted to go to (Instagram, various Facebook domains, Pinterest, Etsy, etc.).

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yea, I used to have PiHole running years ago and it was a bit spotty. At that time it did not do anything for things like the Youtube app on the Firestick, Roku, or Shield. Since I was using one of the "high" security lists, I also had to manually whitelist sites that various people in the house wanted to go to (Instagram, various Facebook domains, Pinterest, Etsy, etc.).

Certainly for now it's best to just bite the bullet with Firefox if you are using YouTube heavily.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Certainly for now it's best to just bite the bullet with Firefox if you are using YouTube heavily.
I forgot what the whole hubub was about, but I switched from Firefox years ago because they did something or other. I think they sold it off to a big corporate interest, maybe. I got Youtube working well enough for me on Vivaldi, plus I like Vivaldi's tools/layout (like the crop and screenshot all in one button tool).

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I forgot what the whole hubub was about, but I switched from Firefox years ago because they did something or other. I think they sold it off to a big corporate interest, maybe. I got Youtube working well enough for me on Vivaldi, plus I like Vivaldi's tools/layout (like the crop and screenshot all in one button tool).

Add Vivaldi to the list of alternatives. A lot have came and went the past few weeks.

Firefox is OK for multi-tabbing but 32 gigs of RAM will hit some problems if you are operating long hours. I've had less issues with 64 gigs whereas before I'd need to restart and reset the browser with CTRL ALT DEL but far fewer incidences lately. Depends on the websites and what you are tabbing.

A 16 gig multi-tabber is going to want to seek other options besides Firefox. Even normal browsing and just several tabs will chew through 50% of that memory when the "leak" hits. The memory management is so poor in Firefox that it mimics an actual memory leak.

Also I did RMA a 5950x that I attribute to Firefox burning through it over a year and a half via it's multi-tabbing problems. CPU useage and temp fluxes all over the place with Firefox.

Last edited: