YouTube's War on Ad Blockers

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Aside from the first few days where i would update UBO manually I haven't needed to do it since then. Maybe the YT devs slowed down and UBO was already on top of it by the time I wake up or they simply have wider blocks to make tweaks not matter.
Yep. I got the warning for a few days and then finally got the three strikes. Noped the fuck out of YT all together for a few days and when I came back, nothing. Back to normal.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Big tech can eat my ass. I’d fight them over a bent penny harder than a homeless wormie in a wishing pond. Haven’t seen an add in 20 years for the price of free, and I have no intention of changing the fact any time soon.

Good luck with that but you understand that you are just a leech and it's a completely unsustainable model if there's too many leeches like you.

• 2Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good luck with that but you understand that you are just a leech and it's a completely unsustainable model if there's too many leeches like you.
Crypto malware has poisoned the well, but browser-based mining was really the solution to this. Make content I like to see, then you can use 10% of my cpu/gpu for your profit while I'm using your content. This would really have been a win-win for creators and users, with the added bonus of fucking advertisers. Creators get paid and no one ever needs to see an ad again.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What part of these companies can eat my ass makes you think I give two shits if their headquarters went on fire and everyone turned into gingerbread cookies tomorrow? Pretty sure you just restated my goal.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
What part of these companies can eat my ass makes you think I give two shits if their headquarters went on fire and everyone turned into gingerbread cookies tomorrow? Pretty sure you just restated my goal.
But you're still going to watch Youtube right? It's easy to be all principled when it means you can rationalize being a leech.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
But you're still going to watch Youtube right? It's easy to be all principled when it means you can rationalize being a leech.
Of course, what sort of leech would I be if I wasn’t doing my part to cost them money.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Wait, there are people who think you're somehow doing something wrong if you use ad blockers?

Is this like back in the 90s when some people called sharing music ""stealing""? I didnt know anyone with that mindset was still around.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Wait, there are people who think you're somehow doing something wrong if you use ad blockers?

Is this like back in the 90s when some people called sharing music ""stealing""? I didnt know anyone with that mindset was still around.
Next he's going to tell us torrents are unethical.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I know you have all rationalized it. You're full of shit, but I believe that you believe it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Also, make sure not to get up and get a sandwich during the commercials on TV. You know damn well that is blatant theft and youre just rationalizing it.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I know you have all rationalized it. You're full of shit, but I believe that you believe it.
The internet was a mistake, I'd settle for web 2.0+ dying so if social media and video sites all go away, worth the price.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Everyone will be on Firefox eventually. No other browser is offering the same functionality or stability through this adblock war.

I didn't even need to update UBO at all.

I'm sorry but I think Brave wins on this at least for now. In fact, with Brave you dont even have to install UBO, has tor built in, and its own torrent client built in, as well as no tracking features enabled by default. You don't have to install anything. It's all built in.

I tried using firefox, yet it was slow as fuck and often got stuck with being stuck with 'Performing a TLS Handshake' bullshit which apparently is a very known issue that's never been fixed. It's one of those cases with a billion fixes available for it, none of which actually work for most people.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm sorry but I think Brave wins on this at least for now. In fact, with Brave you dont even have to install UBO, has tor built in, and its own torrent client built in, as well as no tracking features enabled by default. You don't have to install anything. It's all built in.

I tried using firefox, yet it was slow as fuck and often got stuck with being stuck with 'Performing a TLS Handshake' bullshit which apparently is a very known issue that's never been fixed. It's one of those cases with a billion fixes available for it, none of which actually work for most people.
firefox still has big memory leak

i only have 4 tabs open, but i think it is counting every element in those tabs
3cb5b0b1c434378bf3e4c03f0ccbc084.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I know this is everyone posting anecdotes, but at work I use Vivaldi with UBO, Privacy Badger, and the DuckDuckGo privacy thing. So far I have zero ads or warnings about blockers on YouTube. Furthermore, I have all of those completely turned off on this site, and when I watch a video here I also get zero ads. Same at home, with the same browser and add ons. I sincerely doubt it is all Vivaldi doing it, but something is "just working" for me on two totally different computers.

On my Nvidia Shield I use the aforementioned SmartTube and it is working great so far.

I even have a year of free Premium YT from buying my Pixel 8 Pro that I haven't redeemed yet, because I have no need. I might just because I know it pays people that are part of the partner program on YT if I watch with it on, but I hate to even sign up because it is probably one of those things where it will autorenew in a year or some bullshit.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
firefox still has big memory leak

i only have 4 tabs open, but i think it is counting every element in those tabs
3cb5b0b1c434378bf3e4c03f0ccbc084.png

I just checked and firefox was using 16 gigs for 93 tabs (yes, I have a problem). I closed the application and it left 65 hung processes in the task manager. After clearing that crap out and restoring my session it was using a gig and a half. Firefox's memory utilization is fucking terrible.

As far as ads, I think I saw maybe one yesterday and one this morning? It's not terribly obtrusive, seems like maybe they've lowered the frequency?

• 1Mother of God

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Tried Brave...and fuck he's right. This browser is pretty damn good. Only mod I added was a color mod for dark pages.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
These youtube ads are fucking ridiculous. Trying to watch a 10 minute video and had 6 ad breaks.

• 1Truth!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
These youtube ads are fucking ridiculous. Trying to watch a 10 minute video and had 6 ad breaks.
Hey now, if you don't want to be negatively judged by some rando on the internet you should watch them and be grateful.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The worst part about this is they've added so many ads now that if you try to watch youtube on a non-computer, the ads are retarded. I tried to show my wife a youtube video on the smart TV and had to watch 2 15 second ads to start, and after about 90 seconds it made me watch two more.

It was a 2 minute long video.

Nice fucking job Google.
It amuses me that they aren't smart enough to use the same ads they use in their search engine. You know? The ones that work and aren't anally intrusive?