YouTube's War on Ad Blockers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My computer at work using ublock origin on chrome keeps getting the popup warning but ublock origin on firefox at I havent seen it yet.
element block w/ ublock on chrome worked, did not on firefox had to use tampermonkey

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My Ubiquiti router's adblocker appears to be kicking Google's ass.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Is this rolled out for everyone? I have a hosts file that blacklists everything from YT's ad servers and I see no change at all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Is this rolled out for everyone? I have a hosts file that blacklists everything from YT's ad servers and I see no change at all.

I just started getting hit. We'll see who blinks first.

Captain Suave

My Ubiquiti router's adblocker appears to be kicking Google's ass.

What do you have turned on? I have "Ad Blocking" checked under "Gateway Engine" on my UDM-Pro and I'm still seeing ads with uBlock disabled.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Can't wait for the new website to replace this shit if they wanna go full hog ultra gay. Fucking moronic faggots need to understand why Cable died. Probably some 22 year old American Inventor fag in a tiny hat came up with this idea.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The worst part about this is they've added so many ads now that if you try to watch youtube on a non-computer, the ads are retarded. I tried to show my wife a youtube video on the smart TV and had to watch 2 15 second ads to start, and after about 90 seconds it made me watch two more.

It was a 2 minute long video.

Nice fucking job Google.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The worst part about this is they've added so many ads now that if you try to watch youtube on a non-computer, the ads are retarded. I tried to show my wife a youtube video on the smart TV and had to watch 2 15 second ads to start, and after about 90 seconds it made me watch two more.

Nice fucking job Google.

Every fucking time I am using anything without adblock its like 3 ads and I roll a nat 1 for some 45 second election ad bullshit.

triggered.gif

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
on Firefox, my ublock and tampermonkey are still letting the first ad slip through, but its ad free for the rest of the video.

Arative

Vyemm Raider

Nice fucking job Google.

You might try using this

I've been using this on my Nvidia shield for my kids because it lets the kids have their own profiles for YouTube. Can't do that on Nvidia shield because I have my kids accounts locked down.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Aside from the first few days where i would update UBO manually I haven't needed to do it since then. Maybe the YT devs slowed down and UBO was already on top of it by the time I wake up or they simply have wider blocks to make tweaks not matter.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well the problem is fundamentally all these companies invested for 20 years in a model of the web which is now fundamentally opposed to a tightly controlled experience required to ensure ad views, correct links get used, right articles get read, etc. So it's basically impossible for them to win against browser primacy in the long term until they get to the point of like video stream reencoding embeds and stuff like that.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Youtube Premium is the best subscription I have. Haven't seen an ad on YouTube in years, plus it comes with YouTube Music. I get more out of it than any of the streaming services I subscribe to. I mean does $15 a month actually affect your lives in some way? I dislike ads and I am always happy to pay for content if there's no ads. The ones that chap my ass are things like Paramount Plus where they make you pay extra for no ads and then still squeeze in one ad per show.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Big tech can eat my ass. I’d fight them over a bent penny harder than a homeless wormie in a wishing pond. Haven’t seen an add in 20 years for the price of free, and I have no intention of changing the fact any time soon.

• 5Like
  • 3Worf
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Advertising industry needs to be destroyed. Large parts of Europe have already banned paper junk mail since was doing nothing but turning trees into paper waste, we should really do the same with electronic advertising. Tons of electricity just wasted pumping ads around the internet. Even worse is that the engagement-metric driven internet is turning entire generations into phone zombies and is fueling the fire on political polarization. It'll keep drip feeding you dopamine hits just so it can show you (and the people you share it with) more ads. It's a race to the bottom that is dragging society down with it.

I don't mind paying for content but I won't support google in its current form.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My computer at work using ublock origin on chrome keeps getting the popup warning but ublock origin on firefox at home I havent seen it yet.

Everyone will be on Firefox eventually. No other browser is offering the same functionality or stability through this adblock war.

I didn't even need to update UBO at all.