10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I didn't want to make a new thread for this but I just got done watching Hidden. It's a story about a family in a fallout shelter and there's monsters, twists and turns, etc and it's just really really good. If you were interested in what Cloverfield here was trying to sell give this a try. There was a spot towards the middle where the film was losing me but by the end I was just happy as could be with the whole thing.

Hidden (2015) - IMDb

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I didn't want to make a new thread for this but I just got done watching Hidden. It's a story about a family in a fallout shelter and there's monsters, twists and turns, etc and it's just really really good. If you were interested in what Cloverfield here was trying to sell give this a try. There was a spot towards the middle where the film was losing me but by the end I was just happy as could be with the whole thing.

Hidden (2015) - IMDb
Just watched this on your recommendation, and I agree it was really good. However, it is one of the few movies that made me go from really liking it, to really hating it, and then back to really liking it, all in the space of five minutes. Specifically, without spoilers, at the first "twist" reveal. I was pissed thinking that was it. Then the second "twist" happened, and I was back to thinking ok, this is pretty fucking good.

Tsar Bomba

Trakanon Raider
Yeah it's valencia, it's always been Valencia:
spoilered for length:
Dan Trachtenberg to Direct VALENCIA. Bad Robot and Paramount Insurge Producing VALENCIA | Collider
After his short film based on the video game Portal went viral, director Dan Trachtenberg has been attached to several projects including Crime of the Century and Y: The Last Man. Nothing has come to fruition yet, so Valencia is poised to be Trachtenberg's feature directorial debut after closing a deal with Bad Robot and Insurge Pictures (a Paramount division for low-budget projects). The Wrap provides the synopsis for the Dan Casey script:

"The majority of the movie takes place in an underground cellar, home to a teenage girl and a caretaker. The girl woke up in the cellar after a car accident, at which point her eerie companion tells her a nuclear attack has devastated society. The girl still hopes to escape."
Paramount greenlit the $5 million production for a fall start date.
Based on how big Goodman is in this film and how he looks today - I can believe this.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty good movie. Seemed to have little to nothing to do with Cloverfield though

Technically there's Aliens, but they're all completely new to us, so without the mailbox (which I don't even get why it's called that), there's literally no relation. They're even flying around spraying gas on people. No giant walking monsters at all

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
C+ movie for me, thanks to John Goodman. Probably won't go out of my way to watch it again or anything.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
C+ movie for me, thanks to John Goodman. Probably won't go out of my way to watch it again or anything.
They got me pretty good. I really liked Cloverfield so I was going to see this opening night for sure. Movie was fine but had fucking nothing to do with Cloverfield.

HUH_sl

shitlord
Good movie that goes to complete ass in the final act. Cloverfield connection is nothing more than a zero cost viral ad campaign that will triple their box office.

That said,
What's supposed to the the connection? Random alien monsters sent all over Earth to fuck shit up? New York gets a near indestructible Cloverfield. Rural America gets some stupid, easy to kill flying robot squid that shits out incredibly short lasting poison gas and stupid worm dogs.

I'd actually be down for that, more stories in different locations showing monster attacks, I just thought it was handled like shit in this movie. Everything from the first 3 quarters of the movie was just kinda tossed aside and we're left with some shitty sci-fi action sequence with a cliche monster kill and a painfully obvious 'I'm not running away anymore' moment. I think the final act could have worked, they just needed to really nail it with a better monster, better atmosphere, keeping Goodman around a little longer would have probably helped too.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I don't think the connection has anything to actually do with the plot of the movie, I think the connection is the more the story telling style for lack of a better term. Specifically
Withholding or not forcefeeding information to keep things as mysterious for the viewer as it is supposed to be for the people in the story. In the first movie, you have a giant monster attacking a city but we (and the main characters) barely get a good look at it because of everything playing out in the middle of high rises. Only at the end when they are in the helicopter do we even get a good but super quick look at the monster. In this movie, there were 4 or 5 times when I thought I knew exactly how things were going to play out, only to have things switch within 10 minutes. It felt very like Lost to me, which of course was another Bad Robot project. That show was full of "what the fuck is going on here" moments, especially in the first 2 seasons before it started going progressively more full retard at the end. As for Cloverfield 2, I agree that the ending outside the bunker seemed like they almost tacked on the end of another movie, though. However, I liked that all the reasons that Michelle had for suspecting Howard of being a bad dude actually were well founded, but he just wasn't the worst monster lurking in the movie.
Overall, I'll give it a B-. When things went sideways while still in the bunker toward the end, the crowd I was in had a definite "oooh shit" reaction, so it worked on a few levels. Enjoyed it but its got almost zero rewatch potential.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I haven't seen it, but there is no "real" connection. It's an anthology thing, think Twilight Zone.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't seen it, but there is no "real" connection. It's an anthology thing, think Twilight Zone.
This is even giving it too much credit, isn't it? The connection was a marketing gimmick entirely from my understanding.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
JJ Abrams has called this a 'blood relative' to the original Cloverfield, and I think there are a couple of things that loosely tie them together, like this via IMDB trivia:

Howard states that he worked on satellites for the military. Michelle sees an envelope in the bunker from a company called Bold Futura. Bold Futura is the company responsible for the satellite that is seen crashing into the ocean at the end of Cloverfield (2008) which is what is believed to be responsible for disturbing the creature.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty good movie. Seemed to have little to nothing to do with Cloverfield though

Technically there's Aliens, but they're all completely new to us, so without the mailbox (which I don't even get why it's called that), there's literally no relation. They're even flying around spraying gas on people. No giant walking monsters at all
The flying things did appear to be bioorganic though so who knows maybe they will say the big monster from cloverfield was a big WMD dropped on a city to wreck and disrupt it. We know from the movie that southern sea board was hit pretty hard by something/things so who knows that these things were doing. Still would have been nice to see a flash in the end of a big cloverfield monster tromping around

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
The flying things did appear to be bioorganic though so who knows maybe they will say the big monster from cloverfield was a big WMD dropped on a city to wreck and disrupt it. We know from the movie that southern sea board was hit pretty hard by something/things so who knows that these things were doing. Still would have been nice to see a flash in the end of a big cloverfield monster tromping around
considering how easy they were to kill, I imagine the fight that was turning around for the humans was pretty anti climatic. It really needed a big NYC style one to show the vulnerability of humans against it, I think. The ones we saw in 10 Cloverfield Lane would've been wiped out pretty easily by the military it seems.

Really could be a cool series of stuff like this, one hour a week on HBO for 10 episodes. I can't imagine why it should continue being theatrical releases. This is a short story in its style

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This is even giving it too much credit, isn't it? The connection was a marketing gimmick entirely from my understanding.
He was interviewed on The Nerdist along with the director. They refer to it as an anthology and specifically reference Twilight Zone, and talk about Rod Serling for like 10 minutes.