12 year olds stab friend to prove Slender Man is real

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Our for-profit prison system will get it's customers one way or another. Pretty much all juvenile detention is for-profit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My whole problem with trying them as juveniles is that this was pre-meditated (February).

Come on.. you can't tell me that pre-meditated murder should still be counted as children in this case. Whether or not they had some mental capacity or foresight to truly understand what they were doing, they plotted and dreamed about stabbing and killing another human being for 4 months.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
My whole problem with trying them as juveniles is that this was pre-meditated (February).

Come on.. you can't tell me that pre-meditated murder should still be counted as children in this case. Whether or not they had some mental capacity or foresight to truly understand what they were doing, they plotted and dreamed about stabbing and killing another human being for 4 months.
You're conveniently leaving out half of their plan, specifically the motive. The ultimate goal of their plan was to prove the reality of a horror story they read about on the internet. This kind of pre-meditation is not the product of fully developed, 100% adult minds.
Article_sl said:
Both suspects explained the stabbing to police referencing their dedication to Slender Man, the character they discovered on a website called Creepypasta Wiki, which is devoted to horror stories.

Weier told police that Slender Man is the "leader" of Creepypasta, and in the hierarchy of that world, one must kill to show dedication. Weier said that Geyser told her they should become "proxies" of Slender Man ? a paranormal figure known for his ability to create tendrils from his fingers and back ? and kill their friend to prove themselves worthy of him. Weier said she was surprised by Geyser's suggestion, but also excited to prove skeptics wrong and show that Slender Man really did exist.

The suspects believed that "Slender," as Weier called him, lived in a mansion in the Nicolet National Forest in northern Wisconsin. The plan was to kill the victim and walk to Slender's mansion.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The ultimate goal of their plan was to prove the reality of a horror story they read about on the internet. This kind of pre-meditation is not the product of fully developed, 100% adult minds.
Or maybe they were just bratty bitches who wanted to kill someone and are bringing up "slender man" to fuck with people and potentially get off with a lesser sentence since they are young? Making up some story is what you'd expect from two snotty little psychopaths like these.

Probably the only reason the "slender man" component of this story is getting much play is because some 30-something neck beard had sway in how the story first broke to the media and the media ran with it since it makes the story more "spooky".

This seems like a clear case of two people with no moral compass being taken into custody, not understanding the gravity of the situation and using the situation for personal amusement. Slender man made me do it...give me a fucking break...these two should be thrown in a landfill.

The *only* thing that the naivety of age affects here is that the attempted murders don't realize that they will still be nailed to the wall despite how cute they think they are.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Does premeditation vs. moment of passion make a difference between adult vs. juvenile? Are adults who murder in passion tried as juveniles? Thinking ahead isn't a sign of adulthood. Ask any parent of a 12-year old if they consider their children to be "small adults" in decision-making ability, and the answer is 99.9% no.
From the prefrontal cortex to the limbic area, the teenage brain is undergoing dramatic changes during adolescence in ways that affect teens' ability to reason, to weigh consequences for their decisions and to delay gratification long enough to make careful short- and long-term choices.
The kids should be punished (sentenced) to learn what they did was wrong, coupled with psychiatric eval/help, but not be treated as an adult. Realize that even a 10-year sentence is basically having a 20 year-old already incarcerated for half of their life (and developmentally the most important), and that will definitely ruin them. Might as well put em down now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You're conveniently leaving out half of their plan, specifically the motive. The ultimate goal of their plan was to prove the reality of a horror story they read about on the internet. This kind of pre-meditation is not the product of fully developed, 100% adult minds.
And yet we've seen adults murder for stranger things

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Slender man made me do it...
Achievment Unlocked: Strawman.

When I was in high school, I met stupid girls several years older than these two, who believed that they were practicingWiccans. That was a few years back, I know, but I don't believe that human nature has changedthatmuch in the last couple decades. Stupid little girls believe stupid things. That doesn't make them them cold blooded killers, just stupid.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I just think it's fucked that the DA or whoever decides that they're going to try them as an adult, and BAM, their names are all over the media. Is there not some sort of due process before that happens? Doesn't a judge have to decide whether or not that will actually happen? Up here that shit would not fly, it would be months before a decision about trying them as an adult would be made, and it sure as fuck wouldn't be made by someone running for public office with an axe to grind. Hell, you'd think that the amount of detail in that single article would be prejudicial to jury selection, as well. Seems like the whole thing is just fucked.

Oh right, it's the American legal system. Nevermind.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think the DA decides.

Someone would accuse him of being soft on crime if he didn't do this. Of course the sort of man that makes it into the DA's office doesn't require the threat.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
One thing i don't get, adults are tried by a jury of their peers. If they are being tried as adults, how the hell is that supposed to happen? 6th grade field trip to the courthouse?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
So is Jail better than Psychological help here? I guess that's my beef with charging her as an adult.
Dude, this 12 year old has issues and tried to kill a friend - we need to send her to adult prison for most of her life - that will fix her and keep her away from any other malevolent influences.
We send millions of people to adult prison when psychological help and rehab etc would be better. Make the argument for why these kids should be treated differently than anyone else pls.

dak

One thing i don't get, adults are tried by a jury of their peers. If they are being tried as adults, how the hell is that supposed to happen? 6th grade field trip to the courthouse?
I know you were trying for funny, but according to the Magna Carta "Jury of Peers" means "Jury of Fellow Citizens". Race, gender, age, or sexual orientation are not factors.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I just think it's fucked that the DA or whoever decides that they're going to try them as an adult, and BAM, their names are all over the media. Is there not some sort of due process before that happens? Doesn't a judge have to decide whether or not that will actually happen? Up here that shit would not fly, it would be months before a decision about trying them as an adult would be made, and it sure as fuck wouldn't be made by someone running for public office with an axe to grind. Hell, you'd think that the amount of detail in that single article would be prejudicial to jury selection, as well. Seems like the whole thing is just fucked.

Damn Canadians. Just because the worst penalty in the Canadian legal system is a lifetime ban from Tim Horton's with no chance for timbits doesn't mean we don't take crime seriously down here.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
We send millions of people to adult prison when psychological help and rehab etc would be better. Make the argument for why these kids should be treated differently than anyone else pls.
a) They're kids.
b) I never endorsed not giving help to the other millions of people.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Pretty sure in my state its a recommendation by juvenile service > approval of recommendation by the state's attorney, then a hearing before the judge for the final decision about waiving to adult court.

I'd like to see these two fucktards stab the hell out of one of you guy's son or daughter and see how fast you think they deserve waived as adults.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
May as well fucking hang them so that they don't reproduce a hoard of redneck spawn when the system inevitably spits them out. Genetic dead end, as far as I am concerned.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
Grind em up in a wood chipper, it's not like there's a shortage of fucked up kids in the world.

dak

Nearly 40 percent of the nation's juvenile delinquents are today committed to private facilities, according to the most recent federal data from 2011, up from about 33 percent twelve years earlier.

Not all, but a lot and on the rise.