• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Enjoying the ruggedness of this show so far. I loved the quick General George Meade cameo by Tom Hanks. The show does not quite have the same charm as Yellowstone for me, but it is certainly worth watching.

The only thing that bugged me was the river scene. You warn them about poison ivy and rattle snakes but cannot be bothered to tell them not to drink river water?? That made no sense.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Enjoying the ruggedness of this show so far. I loved the quick General George Meade cameo by Tom Hanks. The show does not quite have the same charm as Yellowstone for me, but it is certainly worth watching.

The only thing that bugged me was the river scene. You warn them about poison ivy and rattle snakes but cannot be bothered to tell them not to drink river water?? That made no sense.
I strongly remember Sam Elliot telling them not to drink the water, even making jokes about it and telling them to boil it. Not in the same scene as the poison Ivy and snakes one I dont think, but I do remember him saying it. Thats why it was such a "fuck these guys just aint gonna make it" after that scene and the snake bite on the ass scene. The problem wasnt that they didnt tell them, its that they didnt know fucking English - so they could tell them till their faces were blue, it didnt matter. Also why they basically had to do sign language to the girl down at the river so she would understand.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I strongly remember Sam Elliot telling them not to drink the water, even making jokes about it and telling them to boil it. Not in the same scene as the poison Ivy and snakes one I dont think, but I do remember him saying it. Thats why it was such a "fuck these guys just aint gonna make it" after that scene and the snake bite on the ass scene. The problem wasnt that they didnt tell them, its that they didnt know fucking English - so they could tell them till their faces were blue, it didnt matter. Also why they basically had to do sign language to the girl down at the river so she would understand.
They had a translator that could have stressed the importance of it but I suppose stupid would still play into it. I guess you could still have hard heads who just could not believe that river water could be poisonous.

Daidraco

They had a translator that could have stressed the importance of it but I suppose stupid would still play into it. I guess you could still have hard heads who just could not believe that river water could be poisonous.
Ya, but that translator appears to be just as dumb as the rest of them. The show even goes so far as to point out that he has no leadership qualities and is only in the role because he can translate for Sam Elliot. Never mind that he, or the person he told that information to would put much thought into it without seeing it first hand. It looks like he's stepping up to be a leader by the end of episode 3, however.

The show just does an amazing job at pointing out how stupid and/or unprepared this specific group of people were. They couldnt even ride horses, and only had experience with short trip farm animals (Ox). Which is probably very firmly based on the reality of the situation back then for tons of these people. With all the experience I have going hunting and camping, trips to Canada and Alaska, and my military experience.. even I think I would struggle with it. If anything, it makes me appreciate how strong the early settlers to these areas were.

• 3Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ya, but that translator appears to be just as dumb as the rest of them. The show even goes so far as to point out that he has no leadership qualities and is only in the role because he can translate for Sam Elliot. Never mind that he, or the person he told that information to would put much thought into it without seeing it first hand. It looks like he's stepping up to be a leader by the end of episode 3, however.

The show just does an amazing job at pointing out how stupid and/or unprepared this specific group of people were. They couldnt even ride horses, and only had experience with short trip farm animals (Ox). Which is probably very firmly based on the reality of the situation back then for tons of these people. With all the experience I have going hunting and camping, trips to Canada and Alaska, and my military experience.. even I think I would struggle with it. If anything, it makes me appreciate how strong the early settlers to these areas were.
There is no doubt at the strength of people back in those days compared to our society now. We are whole heartily fucked if anything disrupts our current societies infrastructure. We saw a very small taste of this with Covid. Even those Germans in the show, despite their ignorance, are so much better prepared than our society would be with a major disruption.

To be clear, I am enjoying the show. Its brutal, which is exactly how I imagine it would have been. I just have not gotten as attached to the characters like I did with Yellowstone. Beth, Rip, John, Kacye and even Jimmy are characters that I really enjoy. Have not had quite that connection yet with 1883.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Racism back then wasn't what you imagined it was, at least not everywhere. I'm not saying this is you but too many people think racism was brutal and everywhere. I'm sure they'll deal with it eventually.
I took a sociology class many years back. Regarding racism against blacks, we were taught that racism didn't really start rearing it's head until blacks started competing for jobs against whites. Up until that point, blacks were seen more or less as children that needed to be taken care of.

• 1Worf

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I took a sociology class many years back. Regarding racism against blacks, we were taught that racism didn't really start rearing it's head until blacks started competing for jobs against whites. Up until that point, blacks were seen more or less as children that needed to be taken care of.
This is one of the many reasons you should only listen well enough to pass tests in college. Most of that stuff is bullshit. I could go on with specific examples but honestly, pretending I understand everything would be lying. This isn't the thread for it either.

Wagon train the series lasted 5 years or so. Hopefully it doesn't take them that long to get to Montana.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

Claire Dutton vs Faith Hill acting is no contest. Faith Hill pales in comparison.

Claire Dutton was perfect as a pure Western bitch. Faith Hill occasionally drops out of her accent

claire-dutton-61c05bb0b3bc5-1639996336.jpg

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Claire Dutton vs Faith Hill acting is no contest. Faith Hill pales in comparison.

Claire Dutton was perfect as a pure Western bitch. Faith Hill occasionally drops out of her accent

claire-dutton-61c05bb0b3bc5-1639996336.jpg
One of the best scenes was when she bitch slapped the daughter for talking back. I loved how she just kept going until the daughter just broke. That shit is one thing missing from today's society. You respect your fucking elders.

I hated what happened to her character because she reminded me of Beth. It was also a bit unexpected that it actually happened and so that was good.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Man this show is crazy. We should take bets on how many Germans make it through the season.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The piano dude spoke Russian. These immigrants are diverse!

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Up until that point, blacks were seen more or less as children that needed to be taken care of.
Was this a historical class or a modern day sociology class...? You just described 2022 America imo

I passed on Yellowstone because BrutulTM BrutulTM said it wasn’t very realistic (I think he likened it to this must be how a medical show looks to a doctor). It sounds like this show sticks more to realism and less drama? I may have to check it out

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Thought the crossing scene was a bit of a cop out this week. Not sure if it was what insurance would allow them to do, or actual scale of what they wanted versus the location they used to shoot the scene. Just seemed like the piano into quick flashes was the easy way out to shoot what was supposed to be the climax of the episode.

Dutton's wife going Navy Seals-Charlie Sheen on the lady was pretty crazy too.

1641997023936.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I passed on Yellowstone because BrutulTM BrutulTM said it wasn’t very realistic (I think he likened it to this must be how a medical show looks to a doctor). It sounds like this show sticks more to realism and less drama? I may have to check it out
This is kind of a no brainer. Everything we watch is amped up to 11 for drama and shit. No one is going to watch a show where a guy is just checking water levels for his cattle troughs for an entire day. Ranch life isn’t dramatic or entertaining. You’d be passing on every show if you applied this to any drama series. It’s all just bs entertainment.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This episode was a bit of a miss for me. Still decent, but things like the daughter knowing how to play piano (I imagine only the wealthy or musicians would in the 19th century) and knowing the entire song without sheet music took me out of it a bit.

Not being familiar with Texas, the Brazos River looks super close to Fort Worth. Like, it looks to me to be under 50 miles. I don't know how long they plan this show being, but it looks like it's going to be a good 10 seasons before they get to Oregon (about 2000 miles away). Now, obviously they'll probably speed it up at some point, and there's even room for settling Oregon in the future. Just seemed like they had made it much further.

Internet tells me only about 10% of people died on the Oregon Trail, so this group appears to be skewing that average way up.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
America is brutal on immigrants back then. I think it was 50% of immigrants died or went back to their home countries within 3 years.

Daidraco

This episode was a bit of a miss for me. Still decent, but things like the daughter knowing how to play piano (I imagine only the wealthy or musicians would in the 19th century) and knowing the entire song without sheet music took me out of it a bit.

Not being familiar with Texas, the Brazos River looks super close to Fort Worth. Like, it looks to me to be under 50 miles. I don't know how long they plan this show being, but it looks like it's going to be a good 10 seasons before they get to Oregon (about 2000 miles away). Now, obviously they'll probably speed it up at some point, and there's even room for settling Oregon in the future. Just seemed like they had made it much further.

Internet tells me only about 10% of people died on the Oregon Trail, so this group appears to be skewing that average way up.
69386.jpg

I think this map will answer a lot of your questions.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
How does that answer my question about how many episodes they're planning on making of this?

• 1Worf