Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>
Loved this episode. So far I have had a hard time trying to decide if I identify more with the captain, the farmer, or the kid. Great show. I wish they didn't feel the need to drop the F-Bomb all the time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
I thoroughly enjoy this show, have not bothered with Yellowstone as I am not a big fan of 'neo-westerns' in the modern era.

Sucks that there is a hiatus this week, but waiting eagerly for episode 6.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Loved this episode. So far I have had a hard time trying to decide if I identify more with the captain, the farmer, or the kid. Great show. I wish they didn't feel the need to drop the F-Bomb all the time.
I havent noticed the f bombs, but I guess I just dont notice it in comparison to the shows that are over the top with it like Deadwood or something. Fuck, other than in relation to sex, wasnt used like it is today. But in that same vein, there were words that were considered coarse back then that by today's standards might just sound silly or make no sense. I would like to think the writers are just using it in place of those words, rather than just being historically inaccurate.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I really like the way this show is filmed. You kinda get sucked into it like your part of the wagon train. What is there like a hundred words an episode? The visuals tell the story just as much as the dialog. If it keeps going like this it could creep up into top 5 shows of the last 20 years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe that's why I couldn't get into Yellowstone. The setting was gorgeous, but the dialogue just left me bored. Although I do intend to try again at some point.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Taylor Sheridan is just a really good writer. Something that should be easy but apparently eludes most screenwriters is having characters with consistent principles who you can somewhat predict how they would act. And then having them evolve throughout the journey the show/movie takes you on. Like I said, it should be super easy, but so many things fuck it up. Even something big budget like Game of Thrones failed miserably with it.

That, and the dialogue in this is just really good.

Anyways looks like we're about 180 miles into the journey, or about 1/10th of the way there. The only confusing thing, and something that Sheridan being a Texan that makes it worse, was the conversation about Doan's Crossing being the last trading post, and then asking "what about Abilene?" Except Abilene is due west of Fort Worth, and they're so far away from Abilene at this point it was a completely nonsensical suggestion.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe that's why I couldn't get into Yellowstone. The setting was gorgeous, but the dialogue just left me bored. Although I do intend to try again at some point.
While some of the dialogue is flat, Beth's character in Yellowstone has some awesome dialogue. I also think John Dutton has great moments with dialogue that reference his legacy and what is happening to it. Its not Shakespeare but then the setting does not easily lend itself to fantastic dialogue.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
While some of the dialogue is flat, Beth's character in Yellowstone has some awesome dialogue. I also think John Dutton has great moments with dialogue that reference his legacy and what is happening to it. Its not Shakespeare but then the setting does not easily lend itself to fantastic dialogue.
Yeah, I dont get the dialogue complaint. John Dutton has some great lines. The kind of lines where you go shit, I've been thinking that same thing but hadnt quite phrased it so perfectly.

Maybe you just have to be a grumpy ass old man in real life to appreciate it?

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Seemed like a throw away episode. The dark haired chick is much better looking than the blonde chick. That's all.

• 2Picard
  • 1WTF

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Is this season over? Don’t want to sign up for paramount+ yet if they are still trickling episodes

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Great show.

Both this and Yellowstone share a specific flaw, though. They depict groups that are/were extremely conservative in comparison to Hollywood. So they end up making some stupidly unrealistic omissions.

If a farmers daughter in 1800s wanted to fuck a cowboy, there would at least be a discussion of the idea that you don't go around fucking before marriage. Cause only whores do that.

If a farmers daughter in 2000s Montana got knocked up and wanted to get an abortion, there would at least be a discussion of the idea that you don't go killing your baby when you get knocked up by accident, you raise it.

I get that the actors and producers can't relate to these ideas but would have thought somewhere along the line someone would have brought it up. If for no other reason than to poke fun at "backward" ideas about morality. Instead, its like they don't even realize the glaring inconsistencies and just assume that every group in every time has had the same complete lack of ethics as modern Hollywood.

• 1Pathetic

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Great show.

Both this and Yellowstone share a specific flaw, though. They depict groups that are/were extremely conservative in comparison to Hollywood. So they end up making some stupidly unrealistic omissions.

If a farmers daughter in 1800s wanted to fuck a cowboy, there would at least be a discussion of the idea that you don't go around fucking before marriage. Cause only whores do that.

If a farmers daughter in 2000s Montana got knocked up and wanted to get an abortion, there would at least be a discussion of the idea that you don't go killing your baby when you get knocked up by accident, you raise it.

I get that the actors and producers can't relate to these ideas but would have thought somewhere along the line someone would have brought it up. If for no other reason than to poke fun at "backward" ideas about morality. Instead, its like they don't even realize the glaring inconsistencies and just assume that every group in every time has had the same complete lack of ethics as modern Hollywood.
There was a discussion with the mom about the fucking. But strong woman character made her own decision in the end.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I disagree with both of those points. There was a lot of talk about how they shouldn't and her Dad was going to kill him etc. Meeting someone and then getting married in those days was pretty common though because there aren't that many options and her parents would want her to be married because if you're single in those days you're kind of fucked, as a man or a woman. They were headed to the middle of nowhere so her chances of finding someone was going to go down precipitously.

And the reason Beth got a hysterectomy with her abortion was because Jamie took her to the Indian reservation to have it done because they couldn't let anyone know.

• 3Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Great show.

I think the sleeping together thing was only unrealistic in the discussion with the parents thing. Depending on where you grew up people had different names for it but basically having a pregnant bride at the alter was pretty common. My dad called it a traditional Catholic wedding.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, kids have been having sex forever even though it was a bad idea then and it still is. My sister-in-law's grandmother actually told her the story of accidentally conceiving their first child in the front seat of a car while another couple was fooling around in the back seat. Then she thought for a minute and said "If I'd gotten in the back seat I guess I'd be married to him now". LOL

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yeah I disagree with both of those points. There was a lot of talk about how they shouldn't and her Dad was going to kill him etc. Meeting someone and then getting married in those days was pretty common though because there aren't that many options and her parents would want her to be married because if you're single in those days you're kind of fucked, as a man or a woman. They were headed to the middle of nowhere so her chances of finding someone was going to go down precipitously.

And the reason Beth got a hysterectomy with her abortion was because Jamie took her to the Indian reservation to have it done because they couldn't let anyone know.
eh, I guess I see your point on Beth's abortion, if no one knew about it (at that time) besides the two most morally fucked people on the show, there was little room for an ethics discussion.

But I can't agree on the 1883 "hey mom I'm gonna have some premarital sex" discussion. Both mom and dad only objected to it because of the potential for heartbreak. Neither one said anything about "what the fuck you're not married, only whores have sex before marriage"

Sure premarital sex happened, but it wasnt approved of. No pioneer mom would have that conversation with her daughter, as written. It would have been "holy shit no you can't have sex until your married". I don't recall the word "married" being brought up even once.

Hell, keep the sex scene, all I'm looking for from the writers is a realistic acknowledgement of what the ethics of the time would have actually said about a teenaged girl fucking a cowboy in 1800s.