2013 NFL Season

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Is[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */going to be a bonus home game for the Bears? ESPN is saying that there are only 868 tickets available for $120 a piece. Far more expensive than any other game. No way that's Rams love.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I love how Ray Lewis is showing the NFL what is up. "I am SO outraged about Brooks' fine that I'm going to give you $7,500. Now what NFL?!"

In all seriousness, I do think officiating has gotten out of hand in the NFL. I always argued that if your team lost a game due to an officiating call your team fucked up elsewhere in the game to put themselves in that position. I feel that way about both the Patriots and the 49ers last week. If the 49ers offense doesn't completely shit the bed or if Tom Brady doesn't throw a pass that was so bad it would make Tebow cringe neither of those games comes down to a controversial call. But on the flip side, I feel like when I'm watching an NFL game these days I am watching three teams, home, away and striped. Throwing the ball deep and hoping for PI should not be a viable strategy. A QB ducking his head into a blitzing linebacker should not result in a 15 yard gain for the offense.

*edit: I should note that I understand all officiating is going to be subject to human error and it is a thankless job. I think of all the major sports, NFL refs do the best job. But I think the NFL rule-book has become so convoluted and the refs are being asked to make so many judgement calls that they are having unnecessary influence over games.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love how Ray Lewis is showing the NFL what is up. "I am SO outraged about Brooks' fine that I'm going to give you $7,500. Now what NFL?!"

In all seriousness, I do think officiating has gotten out of hand in the NFL. I always argued that if your team lost a game due to an officiating call your team fucked up elsewhere in the game to put themselves in that position. I feel that way about both the Patriots and the 49ers last week. If the 49ers offense doesn't completely shit the bed or if Tom Brady doesn't throw a pass that was so bad it would make Tebow cringe neither of those games comes down to a controversial call. But on the flip side, I feel like when I'm watching an NFL game these days I am watching three teams, home, away and striped. Throwing the ball deep and hoping for PI should not be a viable strategy. A QB ducking his head into a blitzing linebacker should not result in a 15 yard gain for the offense.

*edit: I should note that I understand all officiating is going to be subject to human error and it is a thankless job. I think of all the major sports, NFL refs do the best job. But I think the NFL rule-book has become so convoluted and the refs are being asked to make so many judgement calls that they are having unnecessary influence over games.
You also have to keep in mind that the helmet to helmet stuff is way, way above the officials' heads. The owners just agreed to pay a $700M+ settlement to retired players because of repeated brain injuries affecting them much later in life. They'd probably like to avoid paying again when the current players are retired. I'm sure the officials have been directly ordered to call that every single time they see it, simply because the NFL can no longer be perceived to be ignoring the issue. It's about future liability for the owners, not an official who can't keep his flag in his pants.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
The best NFL broadcasting news:

Dan Dierdorf, the hair-lipped, lateral-lisping, pontificating asshole is retiring at the end of 2013 season. Huzzah!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Clearly not gonna get many chances at this kind of douchebaggery this season, have to strike while I can.

lol-disappearing-megatron.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sometimes I feel bad for TNF. Tonights game should have been a sure thing when scheduling. But since ATL sucks no one cares.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Nice placement of that phone right over the cheerleader's rack so when you zoom in to show off the app on the phone you have a backdrop of titty. Smart producing.