2015 Blackhawks Salary Dump NHL Offseason Thread

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wait, the Penguins finally got Sidney Crosby a legit 1st line every day elite goal scoring winger that will play with him every game?

250 points. Put it in stone.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Wait, the Penguins finally got Sidney Crosby a legit 1st line every day elite goal scoring winger that will play with him every game?

250 points. Put it in stone.
It's cute, you think no one will get injured in pits to get to that point
tongue.png

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would laugh if there is a total decline in Kessels' production

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What do you do if you keep exiting the playoffs in Game 7 heartbreakers?

You sign the guy that's never lost a Game 7 (7-0). Welcome to DC, Justin Williams. Good money, good term, fills a hole on RW for us. If Kuznetsov and Burakovsky come along like we expect them to, our top 6 should be damn good next year. Subtracting Green's money, depending on the raises Joahnnson and Holtby get we might have the money to keep one of Ward or Fehr.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would laugh if there is a total decline in Kessels' production
He would join an elite group of wingers whose production did not steeply increase by playing with the best player in the world. That list includes such illustrious names as Ryan Malone and also Ryan Malone.

Is Sidney Crosby hard to play with? - SBNation.com

It's cute, you think no one will get injured in pits to get to that point
tongue.png
You leave me my delusions that will last until Maatta and Letang both get Ebola!!!!

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm shocked Green only got that deal. I could have seen the $6M AAV, but for longer term. Considering the other D men deals handed out he was worth more on the open market I think. That said, glad the Caps aren't going to pay him $6M a year to be a 3rd pairing D. We'd even moved him off the point on the 1st PP unit by the end of the year (to mixed results).
Wings don't have a real puck moving defenseman or a right handed shot on D. He fills a big void, will play on the 2nd pairing and now the wings won't do something stupid like trade for phaneuf.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No ones having a worse off season than Arizona. They arent even trying to hide the fact that they want that organization to fail.

But so far I am please with the Ducks off season moves!

Malakriss

I'm getting a phone call from Merrith saying Caps acquire TJ Oshie in exhange for Troy Brouwer, Pheonix Copley and a 2016 3rd-rounder. I think the fans will be happy.

Merrith

I'm getting a phone call from Merrith saying Caps acquire TJ Oshie in exhange for Troy Brouwer, Pheonix Copley and a 2016 3rd-rounder. I think the fans will be happy.
While Brouwer puts up good boxcars in the regular season, given our need to sign our RFA's (Holtby, Johannson, and Kuznetsov)...I would have considered almost any way to shed either Brouwer or Laich's deal. Brouwer's is obviously a lot better than Laich's, and he will get you ~20 goals a year in the regular season, but on the whole for the deployments he has been given he has underwhelmed for Caps fans. Dude blows more half empty nets in the playoffs than anyone else on the team. Rags wouldn't have had half the successful runs the last few years they have if it's someone else on the end of some of those passes rather than Attaboy Troy.

To get back Oshie for him, a 3rd, and a goaltending prospect (somewhere we have obvious strength in, plus we just drafted another with our 1st this year) is quite a coup. A package for Oshie had been discussed for awhile, but we figured we'd have to give up a higher pick (maybe even a 1st), and a D prospect like Bowey if Brouwer was the only regular NHLer going back the other way. I'm elated. This likely means that Ward and Fehr are both gone as well though, unless we can shed Laich's contract. It'll really depend what our RFA's get.

Still wonder if GMBM will look to Holtby and see if he just wants to do a 2 year bridge deal, as Williams signed for 2 years and Oshie has 2 years left on his deal. It's a small window they're planning for, but one nonetheless.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
If it wasn't for the Boston suckification I would be a little nervous being in the Metro. Shit is getting real and given how tight the race was last year, these big moves could portend trouble for my blueshirts.

So Kessel hasn't missed a game since '09? Streak break immenent!

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Happy retirement Martin St. Louis. Got to see him play a lot when he was in TB, and he was always exciting to watch.

Merrith

If it wasn't for the Boston suckification I would be a little nervous being in the Metro. Shit is getting real and given how tight the race was last year, these big moves could portend trouble for my blueshirts.

So Kessel hasn't missed a game since '09? Streak break immenent!
I'm telling you right now people better not sleep on Columbus either. They went gangbusters in their finish of the season last year and really might have been in contention if not for all the injuries earlier in the season for them. With the addition of Saad and likely better health (probably weren't many teams outside of the Pens who could point to health as a bigger issue) they will be a team to watch this year.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I'm telling you right now people better not sleep on Columbus either. They went gangbusters in their finish of the season last year and really might have been in contention if not for all the injuries earlier in the season for them. With the addition of Saad and likely better health (probably weren't many teams outside of the Pens who could point to health as a bigger issue) they will be a team to watch this year.
Didn't have them in mind when I posted that, but I totally agree. So much talent in Columbus, I expect them to be a threat indeed. Metro is stacked this year.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
SJ picks up Ward. I am very happy with this at 3.2 mil. It's pretty crazy how quickly this team picked up missing pieces.

Merrith

SJ picks up Ward. I am very happy with this at 3.2 mil. It's pretty crazy how quickly this team picked up missing pieces.
I'll miss Ward a ton. Guy does go through periods in the regular season when he seems to disappear a little, but he's been good for around a ~20 goals/82 game average the last 3 years. Shows up big time in the playoffs too, beast on the boards. Great for your middle 6 and can fill in anywhere really and not look completely out of place. I do think Williams and Oshie are clear upgrades for us down the right side, but Ward is a guy I would have loved to still have on the team. Price is pretty good for him, not sure I would have liked giving him a 3rd year on a deal, but he should help the Sharks out.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll miss Ward a ton. Guy does go through periods in the regular season when he seems to disappear a little, but he's been good for around a ~20 goals/82 game average the last 3 years. Shows up big time in the playoffs too, beast on the boards. Great for your middle 6 and can fill in anywhere really and not look completely out of place. I do think Williams and Oshie are clear upgrades for us down the right side, but Ward is a guy I would have loved to still have on the team. Price is pretty good for him, not sure I would have liked giving him a 3rd year on a deal, but he should help the Sharks out.
Wouldn't surprise me if after 2 years we trade him off for picks.

Merrith

It's stuff like this that make me chuckle:http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...e636e610c.html
The stuff at the bottom about Troy Brouwer was amusing, brings up his 4 goals and 4 assists in 19 games in 2010 when Blackhawks won the Cup, ignores the fact that other than that year Brouwer has only 11 points in 59 other playoff games. Also brings up his goal scoring while claiming he is a clutch performer come playoff time, when he only had 3 goals in 35 games last 3 playoff runs with the Caps, while getting much more favorable deployment.

Whether or not the off ice/attitude stuff about Oshie is true, he's still clearly a skill upgrade at RW over Brouwer. He also managed to score almost twice as many goals as Brouwer did in the playoffs over Blues last 3 appearances, and in only 17 total games.

Merrith

Funny news, the waived off goal for the Caps late in the 2nd period of Game 5 against the Rags (due to Joel Ward "interfering" with Lundqvist by being outside the crease and not being the one to initiate contact) was reviewed by league GM's as an example of new coaches challenge rule and every GM that was present thought it should have been a good goal.

I'd be more upset about it, save the Caps always are on the short end of goalie interference calls in the playoffs. Against Flyers in Game 7 back in '08, Game 7 against Halak to open the 3rd period on the Ovechkin waved off goal, etc. Plus, we ended up taking a 1-0 lead with ~8 minutes to go anyways and couldn't hold it anyways, I'm not thinking having a lead for 20+ minutes would have held up either.