2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nylander staying, 6 years
They made the right call paying him. Their depth is going to get squeezed next year when they have to pay the other big names. Missing out on Nylander over a couple hundred k would have been dumb.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sharks in full collapse. I am wondering how long PDB has a job.

I hope we just go all in, fire PDB and hire coach Q. Let's trade some of our bad contracts. Give Vlasic and Braun less ice time(they have been terrible the last two years, despite what you hear from people who don't regularly watch them).

Having Karlsson and Burns shooting from the blue-line and causing endless odd-man rushes is fucking retarded. Having Vlasic pinch every chance he gets is even more retarded.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They made the right call paying him. Their depth is going to get squeezed next year when they have to pay the other big names. Missing out on Nylander over a couple hundred k would have been dumb.

Next year is definitely going to hurt but thankfully in 2 years we get some room again with the Marleau deal coming off the books. That 3rd year on his contract is going to end up costing us either Gardiner or Kapanen.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Now Reaves is ejected for a late blind side hit against Tom Wilson. Definitely a penalty but we'll see if they address it any further.

Merrith

Now Reaves is ejected for a late blind side hit against Tom Wilson. Definitely a penalty but we'll see if they address it any further.

Gonna be honest, there's an argument that it should just have been 2 for interference. Helmet comes off and his head hits the ice...just wonder if they're reffing it to the end result. It was late and ended up from the blind side, but Wilson did turn around right before the hit was coming. I know Reaves has had a couple of instances lately, but I'm not sure he should get anything more than the major for this (if he should even have gotten that).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not Wilson’s biggest fan but watching a player’s head hit the ice like that is painful to watch.

• 1Like

Merrith

Not Wilson’s biggest fan but watching a player’s head hit the ice like that is painful to watch.

Gotta be honest, a lot of that is on him (and many other guys in the league) who don't properly strap their helmets on. It's not good at all to watch, and hope he comes back soon because we need him.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
So apparently there's a rule that if you get a major and it also injures the player you hit, it's an automatic ejection. That's what the ref told Reaves after the hit.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Rangers haven't played since last Sunday. How do Football fans live like this? I feel so empty inside...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Rangers haven't played since last Sunday. How do Football fans live like this? I feel so empty inside...

As a Bucs fan I only have the Lightning to console me, although they have surprised me the last two weeks. Too bad they'll get shitkicked tomorrow to end their season.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
As a Bucs fan I only have the Lightning to console me, although they have surprised me the last two weeks. Too bad they'll get shitkicked tomorrow to end their season.

Consider yourself lucky, as a casual Giants fan there is literally no escape. I guess there are always the Yankees, but Baseball is on the other end of the spectrum for me. Way too many games, not enough action.

Merrith

Consider yourself lucky, as a casual Giants fan there is literally no escape. I guess there are always the Yankees, but Baseball is on the other end of the spectrum for me. Way too many games, not enough action.

I'm the same way with baseball. Can watch the playoffs, it's actually exciting then. 90% of the year though, hockey and football for me.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i havent been paying attention to hockey for like 2-3 seasons now but can anyone give me the quick and dirty on how Hawks went from stanley cup winners to dead last in 3 years?

only piece of Hawks news I heard in past year is that they fired Quenneville recently and I didnt even know things got that bad

Merrith

i havent been paying attention to hockey for like 2-3 seasons now but can anyone give me the quick and dirty on how Hawks went from stanley cup winners to dead last in 3 years?

only piece of Hawks news I heard in past year is that they fired Quenneville recently and I didnt even know things got that bad

Stars got old...on super long contracts. Traded Panarin away for Saad's return to Chicago...and took the worst of that deal hardcore. Seabrook's contract is probably by far the worst. Toews and Kane are tied with Carey Price for the 3rd highest cap hits in the entire league (yes, ahead of Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin cap hits). Not that they're bad now, just nowhere near worth the cap hits they're getting paid.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Merrith Merrith Pretty much hits the nail on the head. Just the reality of the NHL in the salary cap era, that's why good teams are always quoted as having a "window". Happened to the Kings, currently happening to the Pens, shit with Nylander's new contract they are already starting to talk windows in Toronto. I think complacency also plays a factor which was addressed with Q. Obviously an amazing coach, sometimes you just need a new voice behind the bench.

Also worth noting, winning tends to thin the size and quality of a teams prospect pool and the Hawks are no different. This summer they were ranked 23rd in that department.

Merrith

Merrith Merrith Pretty much hits the nail on the head. Just the reality of the NHL in the salary cap era, that's why good teams are always quoted as having a "window". Happened to the Kings, currently happening to the Pens, shit with Nylander's new contract they are already starting to talk windows in Toronto. I think complacency also plays a factor which was addressed with Q. Obviously an amazing coach, sometimes you just need a new voice behind the bench.

Also worth noting, winning tends to thin the size and quality of a teams prospect pool and the Hawks are no different. This summer they were ranked 23rd in that department.

The Capitals have actually been really lucky in that Ovechkin and Backstrom are still performing at elite or close to elite levels...the emergence of Kuznetsov and Carlson, and getting some young talent to step up like Vrana and Wilson. Ironically not having too many "elite" defensemen to pay prior to Carlson's big contract helped us not get into the Chicago situation. I also think Seabrook and others coming up for new big deals right after they had all those miles on them from 3 Cup runs was bad news. I don't know how Ovechkin continues to do what he's doing at his age, he's supposed to slow down at some point. Caps have been very fortunate in their decision making about reclaimation projects to sign or trade for (Kempny, Devante Smith-Pelly, Brett Connolly) on the cheap who have stepped up. Also which old guys who were due for a payday that we let go at the right time (Alzner, Beagle, etc).

Toronto's main issue is just having so many RFA's stacked together (Tampa sorta had this issue too but made some moves to help out a little). You kind of want them staggered a bit so you can afford to fill out your bottom 6 and 3rd D pairing with not completely replaceable guys.

Fadaar

That guy
Tampa has a few big paydays coming up after next year but they also have a good chunk of potential cap they can let walk next season. I can't imagine them re-signing Coburn and that'll free up $3.7M. Really helps that they keep reloading every season with players on rookie contracts turning into machines. Brayden Point is making less than $700k this season.

Merrith

I have nothing against Toronto, and kind of wouldn't mind watching them win a Cup in a few more years...but part of me would love it if they just get put out by one of Tampa/Boston/Washington/Pittsburgh in 6 games or less just to quiet down some of the rising...chest thumping going on up there.