2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
And with that third goal, I'm turning the game off. Anderson can't hold on to anything, lets off huge fucking rebounds on every bloody shot. Toronto can't get the puck past middle ice. Fucking shit show out there. I hope they have a better third period, but I won't be watching.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What was supposed to be a semi "big early season Metro" game was whatevs. 4-0 win and frankly it should have been worse. Nice to see Holtby rebound with the shutout. Bottom 6 guys stepping up with Oshie and Wilson still out.

Merrith

I hope the hockey media continues to focus on Tampa and Toronto all year. Just let the Caps do their thing.

Merrith

Ovechkin must still be drunk, 25 goals in first 30 games of the season. He's never had that many in the first 30 games. He's 33 years old.

Merrith

Ovechkin just isn't human. Back to back hatties. 28 goals in 31 games. This is insanity.

Fadaar

That guy
It's funny hearing him referred to as an old man, he's only 3 months older than me :(

Also nice to have Vasilevskiy back. Score should have been a lot closer than 4-1, had at least 3 or 4 ring off the iron. Still 48 saves is insane.

Merrith

It's funny hearing him referred to as an old man, he's only 3 months older than me :(

Also nice to have Vasilevskiy back. Score should have been a lot closer than 4-1, had at least 3 or 4 ring off the iron. Still 48 saves is insane.

He's just supposed to already be falling off once he hit 30...let alone 33 like he is. This is why I don't think it's completely crazy that he can go after Gretzky's record.

Fadaar

That guy
I think it's entirely doable, he's only 262 behind Gretzky for goals prior to tonight. For points however I think Gretzky's record is one of the untouchables in sports.

Merrith

I think it's entirely doable, he's only 262 behind Gretzky for goals prior to tonight. For points however I think Gretzky's record is one of the untouchables in sports.

Oh absolutely, no one is touching his points record. The 80's were crazy man. 1 guy in history scored 200 points in a season, Gretzky did it 4 times, too.

Merrith

Pretty bad to give up a shortie and 3 PP goals...but managed to get 2 points via the shootout. Although really Holtby gave up the lead Ovehckin gave us in the 3rd with an adventurous play with the puck. Hey also Tom Wilson scored his 9th goal in his 12th game this year.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I hope the hockey media continues to focus on Tampa and Toronto all year. Just let the Caps do their thing.

Their are "diplomatic" reason's for the official media's reluctance to jerkoff the cap's, reason's that I refuse to get into (again) and that you may be too enclosed in a vacuum to properly appreciate. It won't last long though, Caps are beating all the "it" teams so they will be in the spotlight again before long. Personally I think it is TB's year, but the caps, preds and jets are about as good so we'll see.

As far as Ovie goes, not suprised in the slightest. I remember having this conversation at work over the summer. Now that the burden of being a cup champion is off his back, he will be an untethered goal scoring machine. I wouldn't be suprised if he breaks a few personal records in the next few years. He really is just on another level completely, one of the all time bests no question.

Merrith

Their are "diplomatic" reason's for the official media's reluctance to jerkoff the cap's, reason's that I refuse to get into (again) and that you may be too enclosed in a vacuum to properly appreciate. It won't last long though, Caps are beating all the "it" teams so they will be in the spotlight again before long. Personally I think it is TB's year, but the caps, preds and jets are about as good so we'll see.

As far as Ovie goes, not suprised in the slightest. I remember having this conversation at work over the summer. Now that the burden of being a cup champion is off his back, he will be an untethered goal scoring machine. I wouldn't be suprised if he breaks a few personal records in the next few years. He really is just on another level completely, one of the all time bests no question.

Stoic of course there are those obvious things going on semi behind the scenes semi in the open regarding the Caps. That's in addition to the basic frothing at the mouth to push Toronto as much as possible for even more obvious reasons. Tampa also is just kind of the "I think I'm smart pick" to finally get it done...despite mounting evidence their stars are bigger chokers in key moments than anyone on the Caps or Sharks ever were (Stamkos with 0 points in 6 career Game 7's). I actually favor Toronto over Tampa come playoff time, all evidence to the contrary (if we actually get to see that 2nd round match up...which I hope we do cause it would probably be awesome).

It's interesting you bring that up as a reason FOR him to do well. I remember when we beat the Penguins in Round 2 last year many thought there were be a letdown after that when most Caps fans believed the opposite...that getting the monkey off the back would only propel them further. Agree with you completely having won the Cup all the pressure is off for him now. He's just having fun (and benefiting from a clearly unsustainable S%).

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Stoic of course there are those obvious things going on semi behind the scenes semi in the open regarding the Caps. That's in addition to the basic frothing at the mouth to push Toronto as much as possible for even more obvious reasons. Tampa also is just kind of the "I think I'm smart pick" to finally get it done...despite mounting evidence their stars are bigger chokers in key moments than anyone on the Caps or Sharks ever were (Stamkos with 0 points in 6 career Game 7's). I actually favor Toronto over Tampa come playoff time, all evidence to the contrary (if we actually get to see that 2nd round match up...which I hope we do cause it would probably be awesome).

It's interesting you bring that up as a reason FOR him to do well. I remember when we beat the Penguins in Round 2 last year many thought there were be a letdown after that when most Caps fans believed the opposite...that getting the monkey off the back would only propel them further. Agree with you completely having won the Cup all the pressure is off for him now. He's just having fun (and benefiting from a clearly unsustainable S%).

Maybe i'm sensitive to playoff stats (Lundqvist's game 7 record for instance), but experience is experience and TB has paid their dues (to say nothing of their unreal depth). We are only one season removed from the Caps being the butt of playoff choker jokes after all. Toronto is close and have a cup in their very near future, but i'm putting the Jets above them atm. I would absolutely looove to see that SC final though.

Merrith

Maybe i'm sensitive to playoff stats (Lundqvist's game 7 record for instance), but experience is experience and TB has paid their dues (to say nothing of their unreal depth). We are only one season removed from the Caps being the butt of playoff choker jokes after all. Toronto is close and have a cup in their very near future, but i'm putting the Jets above them atm. I would absolutely looove to see that SC final though.

Oh I'm more personally singling out Stamkos here rather than Lightning v. Capitals for "choker" status. Even in our Game 7 losses, Ovechkin has scored some important goals to get some of those games to OT. For Stamkos to not even have a point in 6 career Game 7's is brutal. I still believe that despite us going down 3-2 at one point in that series last year, Tampa's PP going bonkers during the middle of the series is the only reason we don't win that in 5 or 6. Their roster is obviously loaded on paper...it just didn't show up during crunch time.

I agree Toronto has Cup in the future, and I think after two straight 1st round losses we'll see them breakthrough and win a couple playoff series this year. Jets are stacked, too. They just happened to run into the Vegas buzzsaw last year.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i just realized Hawks mascot is named Tommy Hawk.. = = =. Tomahawk

mind-blown.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user