2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Tampa is crazy good, like I said president's trophy is no guarantee of winning the cup but my god. Caps absolutely dominated in shots, but Vasilevskiy just kept the door shut. He's having a crazy year, and that combined with their lethal scoring... I don't know who is beating them this year.

Last edited:

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tampa is crazy good, like I said president's trophy is no guarantee of winning the cup but my god. Caps absolutely dominated in shots, but Vasilevskiy just kept the door shut. He's having a crazy year, and that combined with their legal scoring... I don't know who is beating them this year.

If Caps play like that over a 7 game series...they could beat Tampa. Crazy pressure at 5 on 5 all night. Honestly there's so much talent on both teams it'll probably come down to who capitalizes on their chances/PP's, and if either goalie gets hot for multiple games. Tampa is just insanely opportunistic, though. You can't give them anything or it'll end up in the back of your net.

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tampa is crazy good, like I said president's trophy is no guarantee of winning the cup but my god. Caps absolutely dominated in shots, but Vasilevskiy just kept the door shut. He's having a crazy year, and that combined with their lethal scoring... I don't know who is beating them this year.

That game shouldn't have been that close. We took some bad penalties and Killorn had some garbage turn overs. Our defense wasn't forcing pucks out of the neutral zone but they were taking away good shooting angles which is why Vassy had so many saves. He can make saves off the point all day.

That type of game isn't uncommon for the Lightning either, getting out shot like that and still winning. Our defense is actually super good in how they play. They don't really worry about passing lanes, instead taking away shooting lanes much more then chasing the puck.

The caps played out of their mind though. It could've easily gone either way even w/o all the penalties. Ovechkin just wasn't getting the 50/50 on Vasy that night. Kuznetzov was playing out of his mind though.

PS I can't wait until Cernak and Wilson go at in G3. Refs better let that shit finally happen.

Merrith

That game shouldn't have been that close. We took some bad penalties and Killorn had some garbage turn overs. Our defense wasn't forcing pucks out of the neutral zone but they were taking away good shooting angles which is why Vassy had so many saves. He can make saves off the point all day.

That type of game isn't uncommon for the Lightning either, getting out shot like that and still winning. Our defense is actually super good in how they play. They don't really worry about passing lanes, instead taking away shooting lanes much more then chasing the puck.

The caps played out of their mind though. It could've easily gone either way even w/o all the penalties. Ovechkin just wasn't getting the 50/50 on Vasy that night. Kuznetzov was playing out of his mind though.

PS I can't wait until Cernak and Wilson go at in G3. Refs better let that shit finally happen.

Considering it was Vasilevsky's career high in saves I think it was slightly uncommon for you guys. Killorn's turnovers mirrored all the simple failed clears and turnovers we were giving up as well. Another goal deflected in off our own defenseman and Niskanen had a horrible failed clear on Tampa's 4th goal. We handed away just as much.

Cernak seemed to want no part of Wilson last night, think its funny the refs would basically let anyone else when they weren't on the ice do whatever they wanted, though.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Decent seats
35B1BFCD-B96E-4BB6-83DC-FFBE4CD250CE.jpeg
1380971E-E05C-481A-8096-975733C4D653.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
Speaking of which, drove up to Raleigh for the game yesterday. $170 for these seats. G fucking g.

IMG_20190321_212442.jpg

IMG_20190321_212330.jpg

IMG_20190321_202937.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Nice that was a good game too. Carolina took way too many penalties. There first line is super scary.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Toronto is not going to win anything with Anderson in goal. Holy shit, keep the shots to four in the second period, but then he lets on in 19 seconds in the third. What in the actual fuck? Toronto is playing so much better than the Rangers, but they're losing by one because of Anderson.

And now Toronto finally found the back of the net. Saving Anderson's bacon for now. Toronto needs to win this, get in the top three, and get home ice as much as possible in the playoffs.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Fuck fuckity fuck. Toronto won't win with Anderson. Ever. What a waste. They outplayed the Rangers like crazy. Anderson couldn't handle the few shots he got.

Penance

How does DK not get his goal called back in that hawks OT game? Just charge the goalie to make a goal is now a legitimate strat. I guess desperate times...

Malakriss

Their objective is to get the puck to the back of the net, legal or otherwise. The refs can sort it out after that but even with replays they're probably struggling to hit a 90% correct call threshold.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Life long Canes fan checking in hehe.

Seriously, they have been playing crazy good and been pulling wins out of their ass. Was kind of disappointed that played such a horrible 3rd period against Tampa although I know Tampa is on another level right now. Big win in OT against Montreal last night.

Merrith

Life long Canes fan checking in hehe.

Seriously, they have been playing crazy good and been pulling wins out of their ass. Was kind of disappointed that played such a horrible 3rd period against Tampa although I know Tampa is on another level right now. Big win in OT against Montreal last night.

Looking forward to these games. Could do a lot to determine seedings (depending on how other teams do if we split).

Merrith

Vandyn Vandyn was a pretty good game. Refs kept whistles away for the most part though, crazy we didn't have one PK all game (although only b/c you guys scored on delayed penalty call). Canes are so good and limiting chances with hustle play and good stick positioning on defense. Thursday will be tough in your barn, that's for sure.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Montreal got shit done tonight, but they're still chasing the last playoff spot. I'd like to see them get the chance in the playoffs.

Merrith

Montreal got shit done tonight, but they're still chasing the last playoff spot. I'd like to see them get the chance in the playoffs.

Results tonight kind of separated East playoff stuff into 2 groups. Honestly top 3 seeds are virtually locked in for the Atlantic (in theory Toronto can catch Boston, but unlikely and all it does is swap who has home ice between them in Round 1 against one another), but now you have a group of 3 fighting for Metro division crown (Capitals, Penguins, Islanders) and the group of 3 fighting for the final two wild cards (Carolina, Montreal, and Columbus). No one wants WC2, either, because Tampa looms in Round 1.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Vandyn Vandyn was a pretty good game. Refs kept whistles away for the most part though, crazy we didn't have one PK all game (although only b/c you guys scored on delayed penalty call). Canes are so good and limiting chances with hustle play and good stick positioning on defense. Thursday will be tough in your barn, that's for sure.

Agree although again Canes have this trend lately against really good teams where they will play with them for 2 periods and then it falls apart in the 3rd. They play well enough to win but it needs to be for the entire 60 minutes. They mostly been doing that but you want to see it in big spots like last night as well. TBH it was kind of a bad night all around for us since Montreal and Columbus both won. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I will say there is an energy at PNC Arena that calls back to 2006. We'll be up for tomorrow night.

If the playoffs started today, this is the first round matchup (Caps vs Hurricanes) which imo would be a hell of a series. With the exception of Tampa I think we would be a pain in the ass to any team in the East.

Merrith

Yeah I don't know what's up with Columbus, they looked dead in the water now all of a sudden 2 monster wins and Bob has like 3 shutouts in his last 4 starts or something.