2018-19 NHL Season Thread - Caps were not suck last year edition

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holy fucking shit. Every single WC team made it to the second round. This is by far the craziest playoff series in any sport EVER!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Needless

Toe Sucker

Last place baby

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Kinda sad the caps lost, really wanted Barry Trotz to beat them in 4 next round.

I got Isle and Sharks in my pool still. No One else has any players. I think i won in the playoff pool in round 1.
I am Canadian so everyone went hard Jets, Leafs and Flamers lol.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Refs decided they weren't calling much early in the game when Martinook basically tried to concuss Orpik and got nothing for it.

That said, Canes deserved it once it got to overtime. We had so many chances to increase our lead and never managed to do so. Burakosvky and Kuznetsov finally got on the scoreboard, but it wasn't enough. Credit to Mrazek, he kept making saves and surviving on a lot of close calls whereas I think Holtby had a pretty soft game overall (but he was pretty good in OT until the game winner). Canes kept fighting back and deserve to go through.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
As a Wings fan who still has a soft spot for Mrazek, you Canes fans can borrow this:

vSW0Sl5.png

• 1Worf

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I still can't believe it happened. I just had this prevailing thought in overtime that the Canes kept having chance after chance and the Caps were going to wind up with an odd man rush and get it in the end. Everyone is going to talk about the McGinn slide and save in the last 2 minutes of regulation that saved the season but way back in the 1st period there was a sequence where it was 2-0 and the puck got behind Mrazek and it was scooped out at the last second (I honestly can't remember who it was though). That might of saved the series right there because once we went down 2-0 I figured if it's gets to a 3 goal lead that's probably it but they can keep it at 2 and chip away, there's a chance. I would imagine everyone in that building last night breathed a sigh of relief when it went to 3-1 but the Canes just never stopped playing. In a lot of ways it reminded me a lot of Game 1 where it seemed the Caps took their foot off the pedal and allowed us to get back into the game. The whole series was really like that.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
OKay boys. Whoyagot for this round?

Stars vs Blues - Stars in 6

Avs vs Sharks - Sharks in 7

Blue Jackets vs Bruins - Blue Jackets in 6

Canes vs Isles - Isles in 5

Merrith

I still can't believe it happened. I just had this prevailing thought in overtime that the Canes kept having chance after chance and the Caps were going to wind up with an odd man rush and get it in the end. Everyone is going to talk about the McGinn slide and save in the last 2 minutes of regulation that saved the season but way back in the 1st period there was a sequence where it was 2-0 and the puck got behind Mrazek and it was scooped out at the last second (I honestly can't remember who it was though). That might of saved the series right there because once we went down 2-0 I figured if it's gets to a 3 goal lead that's probably it but they can keep it at 2 and chip away, there's a chance. I would imagine everyone in that building last night breathed a sigh of relief when it went to 3-1 but the Canes just never stopped playing. In a lot of ways it reminded me a lot of Game 1 where it seemed the Caps took their foot off the pedal and allowed us to get back into the game. The whole series was really like that.

Reminded me more of Game 2 when Holtby let in a couple questionable goals to allow the game to get to OT. Was a point in the 3rd when we were outshooting you guys 12-3 late in the period and I'm just shaking my head thinking we came in protecting a 3-2 lead and have only allowed 3 shots but one was Holtby way off his angle getting beat by Staal from a shot where he really shouldn't be.

Once OT came though, Canes were all over us and deserved it, although we created some chances in the 2nd half of the first OT period. Eller taking a slap shot when he had Kuznetsov all alone in the slot to pass to hurt.

We just had too little in the end, not enough guys showed up to back up Ovechkin and Backstrom's scoring, and Mrazek outplayed Holtby in key moments.

Merrith

All aboard the Sharks' bandwagon now. Hope Jumbo gets his Cup. If he beat Boston in the Finals it would be hilarious.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
NHL has apologized to the Golden Knights about the 5 minute major.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reminded me more of Game 2 when Holtby let in a couple questionable goals to allow the game to get to OT. Was a point in the 3rd when we were outshooting you guys 12-3 late in the period and I'm just shaking my head thinking we came in protecting a 3-2 lead and have only allowed 3 shots but one was Holtby way off his angle getting beat by Staal from a shot where he really shouldn't be.

Once OT came though, Canes were all over us and deserved it, although we created some chances in the 2nd half of the first OT period. Eller taking a slap shot when he had Kuznetsov all alone in the slot to pass to hurt.

We just had too little in the end, not enough guys showed up to back up Ovechkin and Backstrom's scoring, and Mrazek outplayed Holtby in key moments.

I actually thought Holtby played well for the most part last night (there were a couple of great saves he made in that first OT) but yea at least 2 of the 4 the Canes scored were on him (the shorthanded one was the biggest gift ever). It was a great series, it took everything to beat the defending champs. Now on to Brooklyn which isn't going to be easy at all.

Merrith

I actually thought Holtby played well for the most part last night (there were a couple of great saves he made in that first OT) but yea at least 2 of the 4 the Canes scored were on him (the shorthanded one was the biggest gift ever). It was a great series, it took everything to beat the defending champs. Now on to Brooklyn which isn't going to be easy at all.

I don't know how he didn't catch the original shot on the short-handed goal. Was basically a flip right into his glove. Thought he was giving up way too much net on Staal's tying goal, too. Credit to you guys for never stopping playing. I know the stats might say Holtby was better overall than Mrazek in the series, but I never felt Mrazek was letting in soft goals, he was getting beat by legit snipes or passing plays that basically left him with little to no chance on making the saves. Holtby had a few goals even before last night that I thought were pretty abnormal for him to let in.

• 1Like