2018-2019 NBA Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Feel like the NBA needs to come up with an even stronger wrench to throw into these superstar contracts to prevent everyone from just gravitating to LA or Boston or whatever. The league has become a waste of time for any small market team, they're never going to win. The best they can hope for is a few years of developing a star so they can drive up the price for the inevitable trade demand a la Davis. People seem more than willing to forego the slightly larger contracts they can earn with their original teams if they can go to a major city. Maybe something like the original drafting team can offer 5 years $250m that only counts as $150m against the cap, any other team can offer 5 years $150m. That large a discrepancy will cause some stars to remain loyal, but maybe everyone just wants the super LA teams vs super Boston or whatever else

LA hasn't been a hot destination in a long time. No one wants to go to LA or NY. Players want rings and will go to the teams that support that. CP3 went to fucking Houston. Houston! It's like the worst city in America!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
LA hasn't been a hot destination in a long time. No one wants to go to LA or NY. Players want rings and will go to the teams that support that. CP3 went to fucking Houston. Houston! It's like the worst city in America!

LA has been hot garbage for years now, yet they got LeBron and are probably favorites for Kyrie and AD. Kawhi also forced his way out of San Antonio while expressing his desire to go to LA, and he may end up there if Toronto can't extend him. NY sure, they've been trash for so long and their ownership is so dysfunctional they probably don't fit the bill as a destination right now...but LA is exactly what I was referring to.

Sterling

El Presidente
Not sure if they're the favorites necessarily for Kyrie, but the Knicks have had a lot of cap space before and usually ended up with 2nd tier dudes. Getting Stoudemire instead of Lebron is not good. There's a good chance they end up missing on the top guys and giving some gigantic max contract to Butler or someone and continue to be shit.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Kyrie isn't going to play with LeBron again. He's not going to LA.

• 2Like
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 2 users

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

Yeah no one with a brain is saying the Lakeshow is Kyrie's #1 choice. Dude might have grown up and appreciated Bron since his departure, but dude left because he wanted to be the Alpha Dog and lead his team to a ring.

Problem with Kyrie is his ego is bigger than his game. He's been named All-NBA once in his career and that was to the Third Team.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Feel like the NBA needs to come up with an even stronger wrench to throw into these superstar contracts to prevent everyone from just gravitating to LA or Boston or whatever. The league has become a waste of time for any small market team, they're never going to win. The best they can hope for is a few years of developing a star so they can drive up the price for the inevitable trade demand a la Davis. People seem more than willing to forego the slightly larger contracts they can earn with their original teams if they can go to a major city. Maybe something like the original drafting team can offer 5 years $250m that only counts as $150m against the cap, any other team can offer 5 years $150m. That large a discrepancy will cause some stars to remain loyal, but maybe everyone just wants the super LA teams vs super Boston or whatever else

You say this just a couple days after a player demands to be traded away from literally the biggest market in the US and since 2010 the champions have been from Oakland, Cleveland, San Antonio, and Miami.

You write this up 10 years ago and just forget to hit send until now or something?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
To be fair, I know the Warriors are technically in Oakland, but they represent the entire Bay Area. And San Francisco is pretty major. I know traditionally Golden State was never a hot destination, but with them moving to San Francisco proper and with their recent success, they've got to be considered a major market team.

Sterling

El Presidente
Not sure if I was very clear with my post. I wasn't suggesting he would end up in LA, just that the Knicks tend to fuck up free agency really badly even when they have plenty of cap space.

Jovec

?
With the 24/7 media and the Internet a star can build his brand playing for any team these days. I do not think Durant is a bigger star now with GSW than he was with OKC (factoring in the rings).

Last edited:

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Best argument against Davis being traded to LA by the deadline I've heard yet is this: Do the Pelicans want to be the LA Lakers without Lebron? Because that's basically what LA is offering, and we saw how that team gets curbstomped while Lebron was out.

Sterling

El Presidente
Best argument against Davis being traded to LA by the deadline I've heard yet is this: Do the Pelicans want to be the LA Lakers without Lebron? Because that's basically what LA is offering, and we saw how that team gets curbstomped while Lebron was out.
That's not exactly true though. Holiday is a good player and they'd have a shitload of draft capital.

Sterling

El Presidente
Cavs going deep on those draft picks. Sixers trade earlier is pretty interesting too.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
That's not exactly true though. Holiday is a good player and they'd have a shitload of draft capital.

Trading Davis for a "good" player and bunch of 20-something draft picks... yeah, I see now why NO isn't jumping at this Laker offer. It's trash.

Sterling

El Presidente
Trading Davis for a "good" player and bunch of 20-something draft picks... yeah, I see now why NO isn't jumping at this Laker offer. It's trash.
Not saying it was a good offer necessarily, just that it doesn't make them the old Lakers. Having an all star level player and basically all their picks for awhile plus their own picks are just very different things.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Traded Barnes mid game.... yeesh. Seemed like a great kid but was never good enough to carry a franchise. Hope he does well in Sacramento. This opens up a decent amount of cap space for Dallas this summer.... come on home Kyrie.

Also, Doncic had another trip dub. Youngest player ever to three+. Love this kid

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Traded Barnes mid game.... yeesh. Seemed like a great kid but was never good enough to carry a franchise. Hope he does well in Sacramento. This opens up a decent amount of cap space for Dallas this summer.... come on home Kyrie.

Also, Doncic had another trip dub. Youngest player ever to three+. Love this kid

Nah, Kyrie takes the ball out of Luka's hands waaaaaay too much. Give me Luka - healthy Porzingis - Klay.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users