2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I don't hold ill will towards Cousins at all, for the record. I wish him success in Minnesota (except when he plays us). I'm not sure he's worth the deal he got, but that's the premium. I have a hard time believing him that money didn't matter so much when you go for that deal, which just allows you to sign another deal when you're 32 and still in your "prime" as well, though. I just wish our front office had handled his situation better and gotten him signed long term earlier, when he would have been cheaper. I think he's a top 10-15 guy in the league, and can play like a top 10 guy when he's on, and slightly worse than top 15 when he's off.

You could have had him locked up for 20 mil a year two years ago but your team management is second only to the Browns.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You could have had him locked up for 20 mil a year two years ago but your team management is second only to the Browns.

There's a lot of rumors about that offseason. Claims we offered a 3 year deal at $19 mil a year but Cousins' agent told him to bet on himself and just take the tag. With GMSM getting fired last offseason, and Bruce Allen in charge...all sorts of rumors about Kirk's relationship with both and which guy preferred to sign him long term. Hard to really know what went down. I think some of the split had to do with how Kirk was treated back when RG3 was still here.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
There's a lot of rumors about that offseason. Claims we offered a 3 year deal at $19 mil a year but Cousins' agent told him to bet on himself and just take the tag. With GMSM getting fired last offseason, and Bruce Allen in charge...all sorts of rumors about Kirk's relationship with both and which guy preferred to sign him long term. Hard to really know what went down. I think some of the split had to do with how Kirk was treated back when RG3 was still here.

19 isnt 20. And if he was salty about how he was treated due to a wash out like RG3 good for him. He obviously values himself more than the Redskins valued a franchise QB.

Merrith

19 isnt 20. And if he was salty about how he was treated due to a wash out like RG3 good for him. He obviously values himself more than the Redskins valued a franchise QB.

A third year though might have been more guaranteed money overall. Which seems to be the big thing given his current deal. "Franchise QB" is a term I think has to be defined in a certain way for him to qualify. He isn't a guy that can do it on his own. Minnesota is a good spot for him, because he'll have a good defense, and some weapons around him (which he also needs) to be successful.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
He's top 10 in most metrics. Top15 in pretty much everything. If thats not your standard for franchise QB you will never see another on the Redskins.

Merrith

He's top 10 in most metrics. Top15 in pretty much everything. If thats not your standard for franchise QB you will never see another on the Redskins.

His stats came down a little this past season versus the previous 2, passer rating and Total QBR were outside the top 10 this past season where I think he was top 10 in both the previous 2 years. Like I said, he's a top 10-15 guy who at his best plays like a top 10 guy for sure, but when he's off he's more 15-20 range. He cleaned up his interceptions for the most part (although if you look at other top 10 QB's, they pretty much all have a superior TD:Int ratio than Kirk by a little bit. He also fumbles quite a bit, despite having one of the better O lines the last few years (at least at pass protection). Like I said, he's very good, but there's still legit doubts about whether he can get it done in crunch time (think Week 17 against the Giants in 2016)...and Gruden has mentioned on more than one occasion Kirk's lack of ability at times to see big plays that are available, and the trouble he has going "off script".

• 1Like

Junky

Lord Nagafen Raider
We will take Kirk and pay him here in MN. We really haven't had a franchise QB in forever. The surrounding aspects of the Vikings made 3 other QBs millions today and we dumped em. Meanwhile I hear we traded for Trevor Simeon? From the Broncos lol. Is Elway pissed we took Kirk from him? Haha

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

We will take Kirk and pay him here in MN. We really haven't had a franchise QB in forever. The surrounding aspects of the Vikings made 3 other QBs millions today and we dumped em. Meanwhile I hear we traded for Trevor Simeon? From the Broncos lol. Is Elway pissed we took Kirk from him? Haha

Believe me I'm not happy to have Smith over Kirk. He will be cheaper I suppose, but just feels like us punting on finding a real long term option.

• 1Solidarity

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Thing is, even top 16 QB is good in the NFL, because the bottom 16 are a revolving door as teams try to find the solution at that position. And if there is 1 position that has WAY more agency towards winning a game, its QB.

I feel sorry for Redskins bros because Bruce Allen is a bad GM. He was fired from the Bucs for a reason - we were a perennial playoff team with a fantastic defense and he came in after Rich McKay and took a huge dump on the roster. This is the guy who let Hall of Famer Warren Sapp go to the Raiders and Sapp still performed very well (even got all pro) while there.

• 1Like

Merrith

Thing is, even top 16 QB is good in the NFL, because the bottom 16 are a revolving door as teams try to find the solution at that position. And if there is 1 position that has WAY more agency towards winning a game, its QB.

I feel sorry for Redskins bros because Bruce Allen is a bad GM. He was fired from the Bucs for a reason - we were a perennial playoff team with a fantastic defense and he came in after Rich McKay and took a huge dump on the roster. This is the guy who let Hall of Famer Warren Sapp go to the Raiders and Sapp still performed very well (even got all pro) while there.

Trust me, number one thing that the most Skins fans agree on is that we wish Allen was out.

Junky

Lord Nagafen Raider
They had a local news channel stream following Kirks SUV to the facility here...reminded me of the OJ chase lol

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Daez what are your thoughts on either Suh for edge rush? I don't like him as a person but holy shit would him and AD be a nightmare for any offensive line.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Daez what are your thoughts on either Suh for edge rush? I don't like him as a person but holy shit would him and AD be a nightmare for any offensive line.
Edge? They'd stick him at NT I'd guess. I don't think it'd happen tbh, he's going to want too much money and we still haven't given AD a contract. I'm fearing that contract could be closer to 25/m a year which is just insane. I'm hoping they frontload the shit outta any AD deal and take the cap hit now and next year when we have like 100m free right now.

From a talent standpoint it'd be amazing, we just have too many holes right now, especially at LB'er. If he was going to take some crazy cheap deal then fuck yeah I want him.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Rams defense already going to be sick barring too many injuries. Getting 2 top corners that are adept at playing man will give more time for AD to fuck shit up and it's not like he needed more time. On paper, this is the best Rams secondary I can ever remember having.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dolphins toyed with Suh at DE at times to stop the constant double teaming. He did well, but was a small sample size.