2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>

Out of the NFC West plz. Man poor Seahawks fans, sucks seeing your team get dismantled. (like watching Kurt Warner and London Fletcher get shown the door)
I would be totally fine with Thomas leaving the NFCW, but is someone really going to pay that high of a price? I know the guy is amazing, but he isn't exactly a spring chicken. He has to be getting close to 30 now?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider

Out of the NFC West plz. Man poor Seahawks fans, sucks seeing your team get dismantled. (like watching Kurt Warner and London Fletcher get shown the door)

It sucks, and my feeling about the season is sinking more and more. I just hope this doesn't lead to long term suckage

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I would be totally fine with Thomas leaving the NFCW, but is someone really going to pay that high of a price? I know the guy is amazing, but he isn't exactly a spring chicken. He has to be getting close to 30 now?

Id be amazed if they got that much for him. He is 29 and the best free safety in the league, but thats a lot for a 29 year old

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Man Earl Thomas has been the difference between wins and losses against the Rams so many times. Dude is a huge difference maker. I don't really like the idea of him on the Cowboys either honestly. Get him out of the NFC please.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
49ers trade Daniel Kilgore to Dolphins
I don't really understand this move by the 49ers. They just extended Kilgore on a pretty low deal, and then turn around and trade him after getting Richburg from the Giants. I realize Kilgore wasn't a world beater, but moving him over to guard while they look for a long term solution seemed to be the way to go here. Now they have a gaping hold at one of the guard spots, and that is assuming that Joshua Garnett is even decent this year at the other guard.

Maybe they actually think they will be able to grab Quenton Nelson at 9, I dunno.

Richburg was rated like the 4th best C by PFF until the concussion, so he should be an improvement. I've always liked Kilgore, but he has been having issues with staying healthy and reports are that he didn't want to switch to guard. I think the move was made to stockpile picks for OLine and WR help, while also freeing up some money for more FAs.

Dalien

Registered Hodor

No Bradford news? Cards sign the perennial injured and immobile Bradford, seems like a bad division for it.

God dammit. Out of all the QBs we could've ended up with we get Glass fuckin' Joe. He's not going to make it past whichever week we play the Rams.

• 2Worf
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'm actually fine with this tbh. Maybe this is what it takes to get a chip on his shoulder. Guy has all the talent in the world but years of Fisher have clearly affected his confidence.

We're basically paying the same money as it'd cost to cut him to keep him on the roster.

Why not?

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is such a strange time in the NFL, with QB's and whats happening with their contracts.

Cousins might be a pioneer with his guaranteed contract, and Garoppolo is gonna make 40 million dollars next year, having started only 7 games.

It's a weird market. Guys like McKinnon are getting 7 million dollars a year (That's basically Devonta Freeman money) though, so not just QBs getting paid.

Shit changes quickly in the NFL. The Wildcat/read option going extinct, no more fullbacks, RB by committee, to now workhorse guys again, blitzing all the rage, now teams are playing more man and DBs value has risen. Special teams and punting is no longer as important, yet kickers are now more valuable with the recent rule changes.

It's crazy how much coaches and GMs innovate, copycat, and diagnose shit from year to year. It causes insane market fluctuations like we are seeing with premiums on certain positions constantly evolving.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm actually fine with this tbh. Maybe this is what it takes to get a chip on his shoulder. Guy has all the talent in the world but years of Fisher have clearly affected his confidence.

We're basically paying the same money as it'd cost to cut him to keep him on the roster.

Why not?
He can score from anywhere on the field. Can never go wrong with guys like that. A nightmare for defenses to deal with. Its a solid move.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is such a strange time in the NFL, with QB's and whats happening with their contracts.

Cousins might be a pioneer with his guaranteed contract, and Garoppolo is gonna make 40 million dollars next year, having started only 7 games.

It's a weird market. Guys like McKinnon are getting 7 million dollars a year (That's basically Devonta Freeman money) though, so not just QBs getting paid.

Shit changes quickly in the NFL. The Wildcat/read option going extinct, no more fullbacks, RB by committee, to now workhorse guys again, blitzing all the rage, now teams are playing more man and DBs value has risen. Special teams and punting is no longer as important, yet kickers are now more valuable with the recent rule changes.

It's crazy how much coaches and GMs innovate, copycat, and diagnose shit from year to year. It causes insane market fluctuations like we are seeing with premiums on certain positions constantly evolving.

That, and we are getting handfuls of teams every year that have crazy amounts of cap room that has to be spent. Lots of average guys getting the big bucks when it happens, and fubaring player value.

Jozu

Yea, it's really the lifeblood of the NFL. There is parity, and constant changes in who competes and who doesn't, with a few exceptions (Patriots). Look at what the Saints did last year in the draft. Went from being literally one of the worse defenses in NFL history, to a solid unit in less than a year because of a fantastic draft haul.

Then they find balance on offense by finding Kamara. It's really all it takes to change a teams fortunes. Or you can end up like the Ravens, win a fluke Super Bowl, pay your average QB 100 million dollars the following year, and hamstring your entire roster for the next 6 years and fall out of contention.

Bad contracts and shrewd draft choices have such a huge impact, like you pointed out.

Jozu

Even my 49ers are a shining example of how fast a team can change by chance, luck, circumstance etc.

They started 0-9 last year, had dismal QB play, and just weren't a good team (they did lose a record 5 straight games by 3 points or less, but still). They were literally competing with the Browns for worse team in the league monicker, fans were disillusioned.

Then Belichick calls, we get Garoppolo, finish 6-10, give him 140 million dollars, transform into a lucrative free agent magnet overnight, and suddenly fans and talking heads are discussing them as dark horse super bowl contenders, and Vegas has them at 20-1 odds to win it. (Their odds were 300-1 last year).

Only 3 other teams have better Vegas odds to win it all.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even my 49ers are a shining example of how fast a team can change by chance, luck, circumstance etc.

They started 0-9 last year, had dismal QB play, and just weren't a good team (they did lose a record 5 straight games by 3 points or less, but still). They were literally competing with the Browns for worse team in the league monicker, fans were disillusioned.

Then Belichick calls, we get Garoppolo, finish 6-10, give him 140 million dollars, transform into a lucrative free agent magnet overnight, and suddenly fans and talking heads are discussing them as dark horse super bowl contenders, and Vegas has them at 20-1 odds to win it. (Their odds were 300-1 last year).

Only 3 other teams have better Vegas odds to win it all.

Hell it was what like 3-4 years ago it looked like the Niners were primed for a dynasty. They had just gone to a Super Bowl. Came a handful of yards away from a win. They had ridiculous amounts of draft picks stock piled. An injury here, and there, risky draft picks, early retirements, And a kneel down, and it all went to shit quickly.

They looked poised for a rebound. That division is looking crazy good right now.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Richburg was rated like the 4th best C by PFF until the concussion, so he should be an improvement. I've always liked Kilgore, but he has been having issues with staying healthy and reports are that he didn't want to switch to guard. I think the move was made to stockpile picks for OLine and WR help, while also freeing up some money for more FAs.

Well that doesn't make much sense when all they did was move up 4 spots in the 7th round. Not really my idea of stockpiling picks.

Sounds like it really just came down to improving at Center, and Kilgore didn't want to move to Guard. Really hope they can find some O-Line help in the draft.