2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There's no way in fucking hell the Browns use their No.1 pick on a QB. If they do, that would be the most hilarious draft error in modern history, which would be saying a lot as they took Brandon Weeden in the 1st round when he was THIRTY YEARS OLD.

But if anyone can top the Browns in inept drafting, its the Browns. I don't care if the entire world knows the Jets are picking a signal caller at 3 overall, the Browns can no way be swayed off of Saquon Barkley. He is the best runner to come out of the collegiate ranks since Adrian Peterson, ran a ridiculous 40, jumped out of the gym, had stupid cone drill times, and is an explosive player who can break one from any where on the field. He could be a Todd Gurley type of impact player, perhaps a uber version of Melvin Gordon mixed with Doug Martin, just a freakish athlete who can hit the home run, or truck a defender flat.

There is no way they can afford to let the Giants swipe him at 2. There is just no fucking way the Giants are going to be sitting there at 2, with Saquon Barkley available, and not select him, to team up with Odell Beckham Jr. and the corpse of Eli Manning.

And even if somehow the Giants didnt take Barkley at 2, thinking they could find RB value later in the draft, the Jets would then be gifted an incredibly valuable player at 3, and could change their mind on taking a QB. Its just too risky to NOT take Barkley at No.1 overall. They would still theoretically be able to select either Darnold or Rosen, (or Allen) at 4, depending on who the Jets take. (some mocks have them taking Allen, which is kind of crazy. Some also have Darnold as the overall number 1 QB prospect, so they might not even be trying to snipe Rosen)

So at this point the Browns can have their cake and eat it too, they get the best player in the draft in Barkley, and then land a potential franchise QB 3 picks later, with either Darnold or Allen most likely still there. If they do anything besides take Barkley 1 and Rosen/Darnold 4, that is fucking retarded.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well if they feel like they need to move back up to get a tackle to replace Thomas, they also have picks #33, #35, and #64 in Round 2 to use as draft capital.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Drafting a RB #1 over all is the most retarded decision that can be made in football.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fadaar

That guy
If by some miracle Barkley makes it to 7 I won't be upset if the Bucs take him. Offensive line needs help, but a god at running back can accomplish just as much. I don't see it happening with the Browns having two picks, expect him to be gone either at #2 to the Giants or #4 to the Browns. I'd lean toward him going to the Browns at #4.

Last edited:

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Drafting a RB #1 over all is the most retarded decision that can be made in football.

This. Not picking your favorite QB at #1 because you were afraid to lose a RB in 2018 is the most retarded thing I've heard in a while. Barkley is now guaranteed to be the #1 pick.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If by some miracle Barkley makes it to 7 I won't be upset if the Bucs take him. Offensive line needs help, but a god at running back can accomplish just as much. I don't see it happening with the Browns having two picks, expect him to be gone either at #2 to the Giants or #4 to the Browns. I'd lean toward him going to the Browns at #4.

That is fine because you have a franchise QB. The Browns could have the greatest RB that ever played the game but with no QB teams will stack the box and he will be no more effective than someone making the vet minimum.

Even so picking something else in the first round would be smarter. Lineman for instance. Pash rushers etc.

Last edited:

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
WTF is going on with this thread? This used to be like the fucking thunderdome but yall are actually being civil? Since I haven't been on in a while, yeah my Saints got embarrassed to all hell in that playoff game vs the Vikings. Vikings got bitch slapped by the Eagles so wtf ever. It's not like I vanished when we lost that playoff game. I hadn't kept up with football here for months before that.

Browns are fucking stupid if they don't take a QB #1 overall and if they had any real sense they'd take another QB at #4 also. I mean with 2 chances one has to work out right? Like someone else said... if they hit on both then that's great trade capital to another team for one of the million other positions they need...

I'm sitting on pins and needles over here trying to figure out if Suh signs with my Saints. If he does, there's no way we don't go deep in the playoffs. The pressure he will bring up the middle will make it so much easier for Cam Jordan and even Okafor or one of the backups can sneak in now and then on the other side... I'm still hoping we get some more linebacker talent or another WR or TE. I had really hoped Jimmy was coming back but the fucking Packers went full retard paying him 10 mil/year. When he was still able to run a decent 40 near 4.55 when he left us he was worth 10/mil/year as a WR/TE pass catcher that couldn't block but no fucking way is he worth that now. I saw the market was supposed to be like 7mil/year for him which was pretty reasonable since that blown out patellar tendon robbed him of his deep threat speed. I'm sure Rodgers will do well with him but htf is he the Jordy replacement? Fucking retarded unless he catches 15 TDs this year while being some sort of Tony Gonzalez type safety blanket on 3rd down.

Paying Sammy Watkins 16mil/yr was fucking stupid.

Cousins deal the Vikings is great for both so long as he stays healthy and so far he's proved he can. Vikings Oline is better so he should stay upright enough.

I read all the debate about QB position being devalued in the future and it's all complete horse shit. The owners know that Points sell tickets and bring more fans in and the only way to put up points is great QBs and there simply aren't enough talented men in the world that can play the QB position. Until there are enough talented QBs ALL the QBs playing are going to be vastly overvalued compared to every other position. If anything, it's going to get worse, not better. Those great 80s QBs played in a different era without all the benefit of QB/WR friendly rules and we STILL can't get enough decent QBs. The only way we EVER get enough good QBs in the NFL is if college quits shitting out these stupid fucking spread offense QBs so we KNOW if they can run an NFL style offense the way we did with Andrew Luck.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Pats traded for wr Patterson of the Raiders. Former first round. Pretty sure he is going to be on special teams returning kickoffs, may punts though he hasn't done punts often.

Pats currently have too many wide receivers

With Patterson now on board, the Patriots have Julian Edelman, Brandin Cooks, Chris Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, Phillip Dorsett, Kenny Britt, Patterson, Riley McCarron and Cody Hollister

Jozu

Every draft year is different in football. Some years QBs skew the value of other players because there are a bunch of good ones (this year) while other years there is only one guy, so teams give up draft capital to go get a guy, which again skews the draft market.

So saying taking a RB #1 overall is retarded is being short sighted. If you also have the #4 overall pick, and there is a fucking CROP of talented, perhaps franchise QB's to be had, but ONE immensley talented, once every 10 years type player available, you fucking take him first.

What are you saying, the Browns should just draft their franchise QB at #1 overall just BECAUSE BRO? RUNNING BACKS DONT GO NUMBER ONE BRO. LMAO.

The Browns should take Barkley at 1 because it just makes sense for them to do that. They can still get their QB at 4, but they wont be able to get Barkley at 4. There is no way Barkley slides past the Giants. The Giants will select Barkley at #2 Ill make an avatar bet for the fucking season on that.

The fact that people are talking about Barkley at pick 7 or whatever is fucking ridiculous. Look at what Fournette did for Jacksonville and their team and offense, as a rookie RB. Barkley is better than Fournette. There is just no way he slides. The Browns would be fucking retarded if they dont take him. Even if thats the case there is no way the Giants GM doesnt pull the trigger on him at 2.

edit: and lol @ Cathan saying the Browns should take TWO QBs at picks 1 and 4 overall. LMAO wut. My comments were mostly in response to Chanur but holy shit Cathan makes me look like a genius in comparison. Are you on drugs Cathan?

Last edited:
  • 1Cutler
  • 1Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Barkley is also a 100% cannot miss, and the Browns have proven that is not the case with their past quarterback selections

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
There's no way in fucking hell the Browns use their No.1 pick on a QB. If they do, that would be the most hilarious draft error in modern history, which would be saying a lot as they took Brandon Weeden in the 1st round when he was THIRTY YEARS OLD.

But if anyone can top the Browns in inept drafting, its the Browns. I don't care if the entire world knows the Jets are picking a signal caller at 3 overall, the Browns can no way be swayed off of Saquon Barkley. He is the best runner to come out of the collegiate ranks since Adrian Peterson, ran a ridiculous 40, jumped out of the gym, had stupid cone drill times, and is an explosive player who can break one from any where on the field. He could be a Todd Gurley type of impact player, perhaps a uber version of Melvin Gordon mixed with Doug Martin, just a freakish athlete who can hit the home run, or truck a defender flat.

There is no way they can afford to let the Giants swipe him at 2. There is just no fucking way the Giants are going to be sitting there at 2, with Saquon Barkley available, and not select him, to team up with Odell Beckham Jr. and the corpse of Eli Manning.

And even if somehow the Giants didnt take Barkley at 2, thinking they could find RB value later in the draft, the Jets would then be gifted an incredibly valuable player at 3, and could change their mind on taking a QB. Its just too risky to NOT take Barkley at No.1 overall. They would still theoretically be able to select either Darnold or Rosen, (or Allen) at 4, depending on who the Jets take. (some mocks have them taking Allen, which is kind of crazy. Some also have Darnold as the overall number 1 QB prospect, so they might not even be trying to snipe Rosen)

So at this point the Browns can have their cake and eat it too, they get the best player in the draft in Barkley, and then land a potential franchise QB 3 picks later, with either Darnold or Allen most likely still there. If they do anything besides take Barkley 1 and Rosen/Darnold 4, that is fucking retarded.

Generational RB talents don't win you championships. Just ask Barry Sanders, AP, and Ladanian Tomlinson. The Browns will be picking their QB at number one and if Barkley gets picked at 2 which isn't a sure thing then they will probably take Chubb or trade out of number four and build even more draft capital. Its all about the QB and if you think you've found the one then you absolutely take them at number one. Just look at some of the bottom dwelling teams and their first round picks over the last ten to fifteen years. How many of them are still in the league or actually making their team a contender vs what a true franchise QB can do? A guy like Brady (from what we know now) or Rodgers is absolutely worth years of first round picks. Even high mid tier franchise guys like Matt Ryan or Russel Wilson are worth what the Jets gave up in their trade. That's why I don't fault the Jets or the Bears last year for giving up a treasure trove of picks if their selections pay off. If they don't that's just how it goes and you get to toil in mediocrity for a longer period of time. You can always get your top tier RB in rounds 2/3 and the drop off in effect on your teams success is negligible compared to getting that QB.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Jozu

I dont know, it just seems like with those two top 4 picks, to not take Barkley with one of them would be absurd IMO. And the Giants are sitting there at 2, and have reportedly shown interest in drafting him. That means the Browns have to roll the dice on one of the 4 QBs that will be there (or 3) at 4 and get the obvious most talented guy in the draft at number 1.

Yes Barkley is a RB, yes they have a short shelf life, and yes, its not common to use the number 1 overall pick on a RB. But he is more than just a "RB" he is a fantastic skill position player who has a chance to put up young LaDanian Tomlinson type numbers in the right situation. He can block, catch passes, and has ridiculous running numbers, in terms of YPC and overall yardage, and touchdowns. If there was ever a RB to go 1 overall in recent memory, its this guy.

Who knows maybe Im wrong I just like this Barkley kid, and I think the Browns and Giants would be making a HUGE mistake not taking him.

And I understand the whole RB in rounds 2 and 3 thing because of all of the recent success stories with guys like Kamara etc, but how can you knock Barkley for blowing the socks off of scouts at the combine, finishing the season strong, being impressive every time out there, being impressive in sit downs during interviews with GMs etc,? He has done everything right, and has maxed out his draft value. Just because he doesnt have some question marks to turn him into a 2nd round guy doesnt mean he isnt capable of living up to the hype and becoming a transcendent player. Its a weird argument to make really, that a RB just shouldnt be classified as a top pick NO MATTER how impressive he is. Its just illogical.

Last edited:

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
I dont know, it just seems like with those two top 4 picks, to not take Barkley with one of them would be absurd IMO. And the Giants are sitting there at 2, and have reportedly shown interest in drafting him. That means the Browns have to roll the dice on one of the 4 QBs that will be there (or 3) at 4 and get the obvious most talented guy in the draft at number 1.

Yes Barkley is a RB, yes they have a short shelf life, and yes, its not common to use the number 1 overall pick on a RB. But he is more than just a "RB" he is a fantastic skill position player who has a chance to put up young LaDanian Tomlinson type numbers in the right situation. He can block, catch passes, and has ridiculous running numbers, in terms of YPC and overall yardage, and touchdowns. If there was ever a RB to go 1 overall in recent memory, its this guy.

Who knows maybe Im wrong I just like this Barkley kid, and I think the Browns and Giants would be making a HUGE mistake not taking him.

I love Barkley too, but being LT 2.0 or slightly better isn't worth the number one pick because it doesn't bring you any closer to a championship. Whoever the Browns have as their #1 QB prospect will be ten times more valuable to drastically improving their team if they just end up being Matt Ryan level. This is just me looking at the state of the game but I wouldn't pick a RB in the top ten and probably wouldn't even take them in the first round unless they were Barkley or Fournette quality.

edit: Some podcast I was listening to put it perfectly as far as today's NFL goes. A top tier running back will get you to the playoffs. A top tier Quarterback will get you to the Superbowl. Its just how it is now. I mean Brady, Manning, and Big ben have been in fifteen of the last seventeen Superbowls for the AFC.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

But you are talking like the Browns only have 1 top pick.

They have 2. Its a double delight for them. They have THE guy (Barkley) staring them in the face (from a talent perspective) and then they have FOUR guys to pick from (3 depending on Jets) to be their franchise QB. And lets fucking face it and be honest, the Browns arent going to the Super Bowl. I dont care if Rosen was their guy and they took him at number 1 and he turned into the darling of the NFL and put up huge numbers. That team is still not going to the Super Bowl.

And no one can agree on who the best QB is so there is ZERO consensus on who should be the top QB to go. I can see if it was like when Andrew Luck came out and there were teams jockeying for position to get him, yea your argument is valid. But this is a unique situation.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>

Just sayin
Obviously he would have to sign at a fairly reasonable rate for the Rams to be able to afford him. But holy shit how scary would that defense be.

Sign a decent middle LB and there are literally no holes.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
But you are talking like the Browns only have 1 top pick.

They have 2. Its a double delight for them. They have THE guy (Barkley) staring them in the face (from a talent perspective) and then they have FOUR guys to pick from (3 depending on Jets) to be their franchise QB. And lets fucking face it and be honest, the Browns arent going to the Super Bowl. I dont care if Rosen was their guy and they took him at number 1 and he turned into the darling of the NFL and put up huge numbers. That team is still not going to the Super Bowl.

And no one can agree on who the best QB is so there is ZERO consensus on who should be the top QB to go. I can see if it was like when Andrew Luck came out and there were teams jockeying for position to get him, yea your argument is valid. But this is a unique situation.

Usually teams get fixated on one guy. They might not like Baker's Size, Allen's completion percentage, or Darnold being prone to turnovers and they believe that Rosen is the best QB in this draft by a good stretch. So lets say they take Barkley and then NY drafts Darnold at 2 (which is possible btw), then the jets take Rosen. That leaves the Browns with possibly their least two least favorite of the top four QBs and the one with the biggest bust possibility given his college numbers. Not an ideal situation.

Sure the Browns won't be winning the super bowl next year but their running game is far from bad and their defense is actually good. If it wasn't for the fact that they are being coached by Hue fucking Jackson I would say they are one good QB away from being a playoff team considering what draft stock they have and their positional play outside of the QB position.

• 2Like

Jozu

I just did some looking, virtually every single trending mock from all of the "respectable" outlets have Barkley going to the Giants at 2. SO maybe the Browns do fucking take Josh Allen or some shit at 1, but they arent going to get Barkley at 4.