2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
QBs are not everything. Example: Detroit.

Stafford was even the #1 pick.

I say the Browns should go for Barkley.

• 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Belichick would trade down like 8 times and end up with 12+ picks in the next like 5 drafts.

That's funny but he did that already having his QB. There's a reason Garoppolo is the highest QB Bill has drafted. There's a reason he tried his hardest to keep him but uses his RBs like the interchangeable parts they are. They just don't matter as much.

Edit- Look at the Lions before and after Stafford. From 2001 to 2009 they had a total of 31 wins and were 0-16 the year before Stafford was drafted. In the last 7 years, he's led them to the playoffs 3 times with two 10+ win seasons. They had a total of five 10+ win seasons from 1935-2010. QB don't mean shit...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
QBs are not everything. Example: Detroit.

Stafford was even the #1 pick.

I say the Browns should go for Barkley.

Zzeris already shown the improvement just having Stafford made to the Lions. You still need a somewhat well rounded team to actually win a title. QBs are just the largest part of the equation by an order of magnitude. In the lions case your cap handling was atrocious and you guys couldn't find a good running back in the later rounds to compliment the passing game as easy as it is to find one. Your defense has also been pretty pedestrian for the most part.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'll make one last post about this and leave it alone. The Case for Overpaying for QBs in NFL Draft Trades

Wentz- cost two 1sts, one 2nd, a 3rd, and a 4th.
RG3- cost three 1sts and a 2nd
Sanchez- cost a 2nd and three players

Stopping there but it would only cost the Browns two 1sts for two potential QBs. They have twice the chance to hit the right guy. Hell, they could draft their guy #1, and trade the #4 for the Belichick slew of talent. Drafting an amazing talent at RB and then hoping the guy you get at #4 was the right guy? It would be stupid as fuck. Big Rapey isn't going to be around much longer. Flaccid sucks and the Ravens know they have to build around him every year. Dalton...Bengals aren't going anywhere. If the Browns ever want to climb, this is probably their best chance in a while.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Mysteriously, Ryan Grant was able to pass another physical and signed a 1 year prove it deal with the Colts for $5 million. I wish the Colts played the Ravens this year, but they don't.

• 1Like

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
I love Barkley too, but being LT 2.0...

edit: A top tier running back will get you to the playoffs. A top tier Quarterback will get you to the Superbowl. Its just how it is now. I mean Brady, Manning, and Big ben have been in fifteen of the last seventeen Superbowls for the AFC.

Who the FUCK is LT 2.0?????? There aint but one got damn LT and that's Laurence motherfucking Taylor. Ladanian Tomlinson isn't good enough to be his water boy.

I 100% agree on no RB is worth the top pick unless he's also a fucking QB, some sort of actual good version of Cam Newton, or if Mike Vick actually was durable AND could read defenses AND could make every throw.

Jozu going full retard up in here with all this Barkley talk. I'd take 2 QBs in this draft and stand a better chance of being the GM that went to the Superbowl than you taking Barkley #1 overall. Barkley may be a hell of a talent but look at the RB overhypes from round 1 the last decade or 2: Reggie Bush never lived up to the hype and he helped us win a superbowl, absolutely could not figure out north/south running vs backwards or east west. Trent Richardson flamed the hell out quickly and guess who he was drafted by? A few look like they might be worth their draft pick like Fournette, Elliott... but most aren't remotely worth being first rounders, much less #1 overall.

DraftHistory.com

Remember the other year when AP put up 2096 yards, including 400 yards vs the Packers, in the regular season but only had 99 in 22 carries in the playoffs where it mattered... 24-10 loss in that 2013 playoff matchup. Best QB in the game vs best RB in the league. Packers had SHIT defense then and the Vikings Defense was pretty good. Still a hell of a lot easier to stop a great RB vs a great QB. Even Barry Sanders benefited tremendously from a spread offense to spread out the defense.

Packers parade past Vikings

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Anyone remember Ki-Jana Carter? Statistically a better last season than Barkley's last one. He had some extreme hype back in the day, went #1, and was a total bust in the NFL.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Anyone who is seriously arguing Barkley as the number one just let his combine numbers get them so hard that all the blood rushed out of their brains.

• 1Worf

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Anyone remember Ki-Jana Carter? Statistically a better last season than Barkley's last one. He had some extreme hype back in the day, went #1, and was a total bust in the NFL.

To be fair he blew out his knee on the first handoff of the preseason...never had a chance after that. And as the only other Bengals fan thank you for reminding me of the shitty 90s.

• 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
To be fair he blew out his knee on the first handoff of the preseason...never had a chance after that. And as the only other Bengals fan thank you for reminding me of the shitty 90s.

Don't forget... David Klingler! And Akili Smith!

I somehow learned to be interested in the NFL by watching those Bengals teams. I don't know how. I remember when Jeff Blake had his little run and he seemed like a goddamn HoFer compared to them.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
And Big Daddy Wilkerson, Copeland, Wilson, and capped off the decade with Peter Warrick. They did get Taken spikes and Willie Anderson. What a wasted decade.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Reggie Bush is a nice example. He was way more hyped than Barkley has been this year, got picked #2 overall, and was never more than mediocre in the NFL.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So are some of you saying Barkley will amount to nothing in the NFL? What are we going to set the over/under on his stats for a "successful" season? Although obviously we might want to wait to see where he goes before setting those expectations.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Zzeris already shown the improvement just having Stafford made to the Lions. You still need a somewhat well rounded team to actually win a title. QBs are just the largest part of the equation by an order of magnitude. In the lions case your cap handling was atrocious and you guys couldn't find a good running back in the later rounds to compliment the passing game as easy as it is to find one. Your defense has also been pretty pedestrian for the most part.

on paper our roster always LOOKS like we should be good, but something always gets in the way.

Matt Patricia as head coach and LeGarrette Blount at RB are going to make a huge difference i hope

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
on paper our roster always LOOKS like we should be good, but something always gets in the way.

Matt Patricia as head coach and LeGarrette Blount at RB are going to make a huge difference i hope

Should be an interesting year in the north. Healthy Rodgers but his team is on the weaker side. The Vikings are the obvious leaders of the pack with Cap'n Kirk and you guys just have to be consistent. I'm hoping my Bears can be solidly competitive. We've got a decent defense with quality corners. The offense is obviously the big question mark but I think Mitch will show strides and between Pace's shoring up of the WR corps and the Nagy hire I think things can be pretty good.

Early NFC North prediction time!

Vikings
Lions
Packers
Bears (but we can probably take third if everything gels)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
hey man, the only time i don't root for the Bears is when they're playing the Lions. i think Mitch has a solid chance at developing into an elite tier quarterback, hopefully he puts in a lot of work this off season. needs to work on his situational judgment more than anything, from what i saw, but i only caught a handful of his games this last year.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
As a life-long panthers fan, I have to admit that I never have liked J. Stewart, so while I was not personally upset by his release, I did question wtf they were thinking. Mcaffery is not an every down guy, ever.
As far as the draft goes, how the fuck do you rate any of the 3 fucktard qb choices over Barkley? I get that RB's have a limited shelf life but how do they even come close to what he can give a team right now?

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
hey man, the only time i don't root for the Bears is when they're playing the Lions. i think Mitch has a solid chance at developing into an elite tier quarterback, hopefully he puts in a lot of work this off season. needs to work on his situational judgment more than anything, from what i saw, but i only caught a handful of his games this last year.

You're pretty much spot on with Mitch and I think he has it in him to be really good.

O orcmauler

We have two pages about why you don't take an RB at number one over top QB prospects. It basically boils down to this; Barry Sanders, AP, and Tomlinson are the three best running backs of the last thirty years from a skill standpoint. Their greatness amounted to exactly zero championships. So if the best of the best at a position can't win it all unless they have a quality QB then it stands to reason that its much more important to find your QB and then you can pick up a Deon Lewis in or Jay Ayjaji in the second to third round to win you that superbowl.

Sterling

El Presidente
Reggie Bush is a nice example. He was way more hyped than Barkley has been this year, got picked #2 overall, and was never more than mediocre in the NFL.
I think Bush was better than mediocre, but certainly didn't live up to the hype.