2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Welp, let me add to this sad 49ers defensive track record, as Rueben Foster was just charged with 3 felonies and faces 11 years in prison. 49ers will probably cut him later today or sometime this week. Fucking sad. Guy could have been a beast and been the next Patrick Willis, instead he will be a lesson for John Lynch and a huge lost of opportunity. What a fucking idiot.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I was just reading the charges against him, he sounds fucked and rightfully so after reading about the incident.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I was coming over to post the same. What a fucking waste.

Now I really hope the 49ers go with Roquon Smith for their first pick.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
fuck, Matthew Stafford's wife is pregnant again and she's due right around training camp.

Jozu

Kap has an open lawsuit against the league, no way he is ever getting signed ever again.

49ers DID NOT CUT Reuben Foster.....LOL. Their legal team must have knowledge the public doesnt, because otherwise they would have cut him no doubt. The allegations and charges probably wont hold weight due to poor evidence, lack of any corroborating witnesses, and the prosecutions lack of appetite to convict such a high profile offender, as he has the most high powered super-lawyers California has to offer. And now, we know he basically has the support of the 49ers, which really tips the scales in his favor from a legal standpoint (they wont support him publicly, but behind the scenes).

The Niners are hoping his case gets kicked down the road a number of months while his lawyers pressure the victim into settling, and hope the story gets buried by other more relevant off season stories. THe NFL will suspend him for 2 or 3 games probably, and he will be back for week 6 at the very least of the 2018 season.

I mean, this picture tells you everything you need to know as far as why Lynch didnt cut this guy. He is a dream linebacking prospect, supreme athleticism, a mean streak and is intimidating as fuck. Plus they owe him a lot of money and used a lot of draft capital on him so they are going to try and salvage what they can here with him. Especially after what happened with the last few guys who ran afoul with the law, they have gotten burned by quite a few delinquent players and had to pay dead money.

edit: Lynch isnt a small dude himself, and Foster is clearly way fucking bigger than him. Lynch was a feared defender who lit dudes up, and look at the size difference. Foster can be special if he stays out of trouble.

reuben.jpg

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think he plays a down in the NFL this year. The 49ers will wait to see what ends up happening with the legal part of it before they decide if they will keep him, but I think the NFL is going to come down hard on him. Absolute best case scenario is he is suspended the first 6 games, and somehow manages to avoid jail time. At this point I don't think the girlfriend is just going to stop cooperating like so many others have.

I honestly don't even know that I want him on the 49ers. They have already had a TON of bad apples over the past 6ish years, and I would like for them to move past that. He is the best LB prospect we have seen in a while, but football is just a game. As of now he has shown himself to be a pretty stupid person, and I don't want my team associated with it.

As for Dez, it will be curious to see what his market looks like. He hasn't been very effective the last couple of years, so I can't see many teams willing to pay him much. Probably some team will take a 1 year prove it deal with him though. Maybe the Patriots?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty surprised the Cowboys didn't even offer him a pay cut to stay, just straight up cut him

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Does Dez consider himself a WR1 these days? I imagine a lot of teams will see him as a useful WR2, but not a 1. Thats probably going to limit his market some I'd think

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Kap has an open lawsuit against the league, no way he is ever getting signed ever again.

49ers DID NOT CUT Reuben Foster.....LOL. Their legal team must have knowledge the public doesnt, because otherwise they would have cut him no doubt. The allegations and charges probably wont hold weight due to poor evidence, lack of any corroborating witnesses, and the prosecutions lack of appetite to convict such a high profile offender, as he has the most high powered super-lawyers California has to offer. And now, we know he basically has the support of the 49ers, which really tips the scales in his favor from a legal standpoint (they wont support him publicly, but behind the scenes).

The Niners are hoping his case gets kicked down the road a number of months while his lawyers pressure the victim into settling, and hope the story gets buried by other more relevant off season stories. THe NFL will suspend him for 2 or 3 games probably, and he will be back for week 6 at the very least of the 2018 season.

I mean, this picture tells you everything you need to know as far as why Lynch didnt cut this guy. He is a dream linebacking prospect, supreme athleticism, a mean streak and is intimidating as fuck. Plus they owe him a lot of money and used a lot of draft capital on him so they are going to try and salvage what they can here with him. Especially after what happened with the last few guys who ran afoul with the law, they have gotten burned by quite a few delinquent players and had to pay dead money.

edit: Lynch isnt a small dude himself, and Foster is clearly way fucking bigger than him. Lynch was a feared defender who lit dudes up, and look at the size difference. Foster can be special if he stays out of trouble.

View attachment 164772

I remember when I used to defend Burfict. You'll come around.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nobody knows the actual facts in the case, but to quote Bay Area radio guy Tom Tolbert, best case, we know he does not make good decisions in his personal life.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
49ers keeping Reuben Foster despite felony charges

This is sort of interesting.

Meanwhile, two of Foster's teammates—Jaquiski Tartt and Richard Sherman—attended the brief hearing. “We don't know what happened,” Sherman said. “I'm not judging the circumstances. I'm just trying to support him.”

Sherman's been there less than a month and he's going to court with Foster? I guess he's trying to be a leader, but it seems a little weird to me.

With regard to what the team is doing, we're right in the middle of the off season, there's really no reason not to let the legal proceedings play out, aside from getting a finger or two wagged at you by the self-righteous media, but who cares about that? It's only a couple weeks until he has to file a plea and months until he would actually show up in a game.

Jozu

If Sherman was at one of Fosters court proceedings the 49ers are balls deep in this shit and aren't going to cut him.

They are already taking massive heat and blowback for not cutting him, and then they don't after those charges are announced?

He will be suspended 6 games, his "live in" girlfriend will receive a hefty sum, as will his legal council. He will pay the requisite fines etc., and move on, he is going to play this year.

If he doesn't play, the 49ers are in huge trouble. They wouldn't risk all of this bad PR and effort on a lost cause. They must know something we don't like I said initially.

Edit: The sad part is this is all happening not just because the 49ers don't want to lose money and a high draft pick, but Foster is literally the heart of that defensive unit. As a MIKE linebacker he is the field general, they built their entire defensive scheme and roster around this kid. They desperately need him to be on the field if they want to have any chance in 2018.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I think it is a bit of a stretch to say they built the defense around him.

If they draft Roquan Smith with their first pick, I think that will show what kind of faith they have in Foster's future. (both his legal status and ability to stay out of trouble after this)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
If Sherman was at one of Fosters court proceedings the 49ers are balls deep in this shit and aren't going to cut him.

They are already taking massive heat and blowback for not cutting him, and then they don't after those charges are announced?

He will be suspended 6 games, his "live in" girlfriend will receive a hefty sum, as will his legal council. He will pay the requisite fines etc., and move on, he is going to play this year.

If he doesn't play, the 49ers are in huge trouble. They wouldn't risk all of this bad PR and effort on a lost cause. They must know something we don't like I said initially.

Edit: The sad part is this is all happening not just because the 49ers don't want to lose money and a high draft pick, but Foster is literally the heart of that defensive unit. As a MIKE linebacker he is the field general, they built their entire defensive scheme and roster around this kid. They desperately need him to be on the field if they want to have any chance in 2018.

Zeke was only accused of a misdemeanor, was never charged, had proof the chick was lying, and still got 6 games just because.

Thinking the 49ers have some insider info and this is all just going to go away is rabid fanboyism

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users