2019-2020 NHL Season Thread: Uber Missed the Blues Victory Parade Edition

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fadaar Fadaar

Stanley cup winner

Top Cup winner pick: Lighning (eight votes)

giphy.gif

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Great way to start off the season.

Go Caps!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sharks so bad tonight they make Ottawa look like an NHL team.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Banner goes up tonight.

Almost feel bad we spoiled the party. Almost. Caps looked damn good last 40+ minutes of that game. On a better night Ovechkin hits the net more and has 2 or 3 goals. Vrana was dangerous with his speed all night, too.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I had to remind myself it's not the playoffs so chill out. Blues looked a little tired. We'll see how they hold up.

Merrith

I had to remind myself it's not the playoffs so chill out. Blues looked a little tired. We'll see how they hold up.

It was interesting watching the 2nd game on TV, Sharks and Vegas. Two teams that hated each other going at it right out of the gate. Our game seemed rather tame by comparison, at least from a physical play standpoint. Blues and Caps just aren't a rivalry at all, hell most fans I know from both teams are happy for one another because the Cups had been such a long time coming for both.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It was interesting watching the 2nd game on TV, Sharks and Vegas. Two teams that hated each other going at it right out of the gate. Our game seemed rather tame by comparison, at least from a physical play standpoint. Blues and Caps just aren't a rivalry at all, hell most fans I know from both teams are happy for one another because the Cups had been such a long time coming for both.

A chunk of my family are Blues fans. We took photos in our respective 2018 and 2019 champion shirts.

Zero animosity

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

If anyone is interested in the growing analytics side of hockey, McCurdy made a bot that posts the game charts for every game on twitter.

I love the one guy that puts out models mostly based on expected goals...and going into this year he made his predictions again but finally admitted that the Capitals for the last 5 years (Trotz years plus one year with Reirden) were using "some tactics" that couldn't be measured with current expected goal models...because we were consistently performing 5-7% above what the expected number was, by far the highest in the league like we're the only super outlier. They've written it off in the past as us getting above average goaltending from Holtby (compared to the average), and exceptional shooting talent (Ovechkin, obviously, but others as well)...but they finally admitted there might even be more to it than that.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love the one guy that puts out models mostly based on expected goals...and going into this year he made his predictions again but finally admitted that the Capitals for the last 5 years (Trotz years plus one year with Reirden) were using "some tactics" that couldn't be measured with current expected goal models...because we were consistently performing 5-7% above what the expected number was, by far the highest in the league like we're the only super outlier. They've written it off in the past as us getting above average goaltending from Holtby (compared to the average), and exceptional shooting talent (Ovechkin, obviously, but others as well)...but they finally admitted there might even be more to it than that.

Will be interesting to see if the Isles vastly outperform their xGF again.

Merrith

Will be interesting to see if the Isles vastly outperform their xGF again.

If I recall, they got insane goaltending above expected last year right? Mitch Korn, who is goalie coach that follows Trotz around, is a miracle worker.

Fadaar

That guy
Division gonna be fun this year. Panthers upgraded multiple positions but they're still our bitch.

Fadaar

That guy
I like how you ignored my double jinx post.

Meh, after last season and just being a Tampa sports fan in general I'm used to being let down. Especially the Lightning in the playoffs since 2004. Don't really care about the Rays since I grew up a Braves fan, but there's another fuckin' franchise that's postseason sadness incarnate minus 1995.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No Tampa badge for me this year. Not jinx'n shit. I think we've filled some important roles with Maroon and Shattenkirk. We'll be taking it nice and slow, keeping guys healthy and playing playoff hockey from the start... oh wait we got outshot 2:1, we relied and Vassy too much, and our special teams were the deciding factor.

1570241669511.png