2019-2020 NHL Season Thread: Uber Missed the Blues Victory Parade Edition

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah I'm sure a lot of guys do talk that way. I haven't looked at any specific comments to see how bad they were. It's mildly amusing to me cause Leipsic was the odd man out after the Kovy trade and was getting scratched on a nightly basis.

The Wilson hate is still funny, too. Guy has probably been doing more charity and good works off the ice than anyone.

You can see them here.

Its mostly bullshit said in private and a bunch of babies crying over it. The only maybe could be iffy thing would be referring to someone as 'Native pig' but even that is pretty excusable and especially for someone from Winnipeg.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, I don't care how much charity he's doing off ice, on the ice he's a thug, and he's injuring players. He's a real douche bag.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I don't care how much charity he's doing off ice, on the ice he's a thug, and he's injuring players. He's a real douche bag.

That's....2 seasons ago at this point? He doesn't even fight nearly as much anymore.

On the ice he's just a 20+ goal/50+ point guy now. Rest of the league's fans will catch up at some point.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That's....2 seasons ago at this point? He doesn't even fight nearly as much anymore.

On the ice he's just a 20+ goal/50+ point guy now. Rest of the league's fans will catch up at some point.

Yeah, It's a troubling history, though. If I were on a team playing him I'd still have my eye on him, and if there were opportunities to really get a legal physical hit on him, I'd take it 100% of the time. He'll do damage again.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, you're pretty much marinating some crow to eat later assuming he's reformed or w/e. Chances are he'll strike again. But hey, at least he didn't call some chicks fat in private.

.....also, looked up his stats and he is <50 pts this season :emoji_upside_down:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Nah, if he doesn't strike again I'm super happy that a talented player pulled his head out of his ass and is playing the game instead of being a douche canoe. If he strikes again it merely solidifies the fact that he acted like an asshole, and then didn't reform.

Merrith

Yeah, you're pretty much marinating some crow to eat later assuming he's reformed or w/e. Chances are he'll strike again. But hey, at least he didn't call some chicks fat in private.

.....also, looked up his stats and he is <50 pts this season :emoji_upside_down:

Basically if he doesn't play the Blues ever in preseason, he only has the 1 suspension in the playoffs on his resume. I still maintain (and not just for him, but for all "heavy" players around the league that throw big hits) that the guys who are truly dirty are the ones throwing the intentional elbows to the head (Marchand, Perrys of the world), or pulling bullshit slashes away from the play. He definitely has some bad hits on his resume. I still think it's mostly just being young and dumb and reckless trying to put his shoulder straight through somebody, while being 6'4/6'5 and just a bigger man than almost anyone.

There's every chance it happens again. He plays close to the line like many guys, but has really reined in some of the more borderline play, and he hasn't had anything bad for almost 2 full years now.

And yeah, he's under 50 points this season, because of something that's never happened before and stopped the season short. 44 points in 68 games, a 0.65 points/game pace, which works out to 53 points and change over 82 games. Last year he had 40 points in 63 games (once he returned from his last suspension like over a month into the season). That's a 0.635 points/game pace, which is 52 points over 82 games. His last two playoffs? 15 points in 21 games during the Cup run, and 5 points in 7 games against Carolina last year. Identical 0.714 points a game, which is actually above his regular season scoring pace. Maybe I should hold off calling him a 50+ point guy until we don't have Corona ruining the season, but when you're producing at that rate for your last 159 games, regular and postseason, I'd say it's pretty consistent and not a fluke.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
And yeah, he's under 50 points this season, because of something that's never happened before and stopped the season short. 44 points in 68 games, a 0.65 points/game pace, which works out to 53 points and change over 82 games. Last year he had 40 points in 63 games (once he returned from his last suspension like over a month into the season). That's a 0.635 points/game pace, which is 52 points over 82 games. His last two playoffs? 15 points in 21 games during the Cup run, and 5 points in 7 games against Carolina last year. Identical 0.714 points a game, which is actually above his regular season scoring pace. Maybe I should hold off calling him a 50+ point guy until we don't have Corona ruining the season, but when you're producing at that rate for your last 159 games, regular and postseason, I'd say it's pretty consistent and not a fluke.

Was just breaking your chops. I don't think you win the cup without him, I know he can be effective. To be fair though, you used the same technicality to say it has been two whole seasons since his last suspension.

FWIW, Lemieux is real close to being considered a dirty pos in my book. He actually got suspended after things closed down for a dirty headshot the last game we played, but it got kind of lost in the shuffle.

Merrith

Was just breaking your chops. I don't think you win the cup without him, I know he can be effective. To be fair though, you used the same technicality to say it has been two whole seasons since his last suspension.

FWIW, Lemieux is real close to being considered a dirty pos in my book. He actually got suspended after things closed down for a dirty headshot the last game we played, but it got kind of lost in the shuffle.

I did say "almost" 2 years. But that's including a playoff series in between and everyone figuring he wouldn't even last through another ~30 games. It's pretty clear to anyone paying actual attention he has changed his game.

I agree we don't win the Cup without him, one of his hallmarks has been his even strength production, and he was a big reason for his line with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov doing a lot of their damage at evens and not just on the PP during the Cup run (although those 2 did plenty on the PP, too). He's also probably our best penalty killing forward, which gets overlooked by many. That's actually been a main reason the coaches have been preaching to him to not engage as much. Any time we have to go 4 on 5 with him in the box we're just worse off.

Mario is a funny case, b/c game was definitely different back then. I go back and watch some of our old playoff games against the Pens and it's almost another sport out there haha. That game 4 where Nedved had the 4 OT winner against us? Mario got ejected in regulation. Stuff is so tame nowadays compared to back then.

Merrith

I'm an idiot and just saw Lemieux and assumed Mario without reading the rest. Yeah he's starting to tick the boxes.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I totally forgot Hockey existed before my eye's hit this thread. All this talk about whether NBA is coming back for playoffs and when MLB is going to start. Not a peep about Hockey.

Poor Canuckers.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Why the fuck do they keep forcing this AM is the best dressed in the NHL narrative?

And this is one of his better outfits...

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
One way or the other we should have an answer by tomorrow.
If it doesn't pass i'm just gonna assume shits canceled. Still gotta figure out border issues, locations and pray no one tests positive. Then when all is said and done to figure out next season. Shit sucks, but if they pull it off before any other league, the NHL could pull in alot of new fans. Imagine how many sports starved people would tune in to watch the Playoffs, gotta imagine it would break league records.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

One way or the other we should have an answer by tomorrow.
If it doesn't pass i'm just gonna assume shits canceled. Still gotta figure out border issues, locations and pray no one tests positive. Then when all is said and done to figure out next season. Shit sucks, but if they pull it off before any other league, the NHL could pull in alot of new fans. Imagine how many sports starved people would tune in to watch the Playoffs, gotta imagine it would break league records.

It's weird, I'm almost so out of hockey mode already, missing this much time. But I'm sure I could get right back in it if the playoffs just start up. Easy to hate everyone else in the East.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
It's weird, I'm almost so out of hockey mode already, missing this much time. But I'm sure I could get right back in it if the playoffs just start up. Easy to hate everyone else in the East.

I was fine the first 6 or so weeks but now i'm starting to get that itch. I usually get it around early August when all the draft and ufa hype is over.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The proposed plan isnt bad. Some of those matchups could be pretty fun. I really like Nashville vs Arizona.

Fadaar

That guy
24 team playoff really the only fair way to do it without either screwing some teams that are on the bubble or finishing the regular season. Finishing the regular season is pretty much out of the question at this point so I'm all in for just jumping right into an expanded playoff field. I also think the first round should be best of 5 to get it over with quicker.

Last edited:

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Pens fans crying about facing Price as if he is some kind of final boss goalie has me dying. Dude carried his team a few seasons like 6 years ago and has put up middle of the pack numbers since.

• 1Solidarity

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider

Official announcement at 4:30 est, but god I hope this is true. Fitz is pretty well vetted so i'm optimistic. If the Rangers lose or CAR and TOR both lose (weird stipulation on CAR 1st that we own) Rangers get a lottery pick. Best of both worlds! In theory we could win the cup and get the 1OA. VERY unlikely but its fun to dream.