2019 NFL Offseason: Chargers Started Early

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
There are just way too many changes that would need to happen for this idea to work. If you are required to sit players then roster size should slightly increase. If roster size increases then cap should increase, especially if backup QB market explodes.

The current game schedule is pretty tight right now too with division/1 opposing conf. Division/1 intra conf. Division/ + same place in other conf divisions. Where do the other 2 games fit in? You would be better off adding 3 games to do opposing conference with same place in their division, or 3 more division games. But good luck getting 19 games.

They really should just add another bye to extend the season 1 week for an extra set of prime time games as a starting point.

Fadaar

That guy
He will want 12.5% more because his season just got 12.5% longer.

Not true if the 2 extra games replace preseason matchups, season length from preseason game 1 to Super Bowl will be identical. Plus they'll only be allowed to play 16 regular season games so nothing really changes.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I am making an assumption that I think is safe that contracts include everything the player will be required to participate in. Mini camps, training camp, pre-season, OTAs, off season, regular season, and post season. If the number of regular season games changes, the contracts could be null and void.

I admit I haven't looked at an NFL contract, but we've heard plenty of reports about how a guy is losing X amount of money by showing up late to camp. That leads me to believe that it's all broken down at least that far.
Everything IS included in an NFL contract, but they are still only paid GAME CHECKS. An NFL player doesn't see one penny prior to the first Tuesday after game 1 with the exception of signing bonus/roster bonus that built into a contract. OTA's, pre-season, rookie camps, are all built into a contract and the contract doesn't pay one penny before game 1. That's why you hear about rookies who didn't get much of a signing bonus having to roommate with veterans until the year starts, because they have no money yet.

And the reason you hear about players "losing money" due to missing OTA's/preseason is because those are fines put in place by the CBA/contracts that will be deducted from the players first GAME CHECK.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

No longer wearing the external fixator. Still doubt he will play again but you never know.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Not true if the 2 extra games replace preseason matchups, season length from preseason game 1 to Super Bowl will be identical. Plus they'll only be allowed to play 16 regular season games so nothing really changes.

What percentage of players play in all the pre-season games and get as many snaps as a regular season? Some on the defense and o-line can get close, but you're pretty much just talking about the kickers and holders who's season will be unchanged.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
See the NBA. They do that shit all the time.

Yeah and it sucks. Been to a couple Warriors games when Curry or KD didn't play. Or I was looking forward to the matchup and the opposing team sits a star.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
It sucks so bad that the NBA has toyed with the idea of preventing teams from sitting/resting players that aren't injured.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I was thinking the doc might have him on a no funny business while he had the fixator thing, so she wasn't just talking about it.

• 1Dislike

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Doc must be a redskin fan if he's trying to take away alex's will to live like that.

• 1Worf

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
On one hand, I don't want to see a guy's career end because of an injury like that. On the other hand, it's likely if he ever comes back it won't be with us because we will have moved on...but I don't want Smith to be a shadow of his former self and try to play. Would be tough to watch anywhere.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Alex Smith will be a great coach some day. He will be remembered fondly for his days as a Chief and his willingness to mentor Patrick Mahomes.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

It changes for players who miss games with injuries. Currently, a player who misses 2 weeks during the season plays 14 games. Under the new system it would be 16.

So anyone who misses any games with injuries is now playing more games than under the current system.

They'd have to make games missed due to injuries not count towards the mandated 2 byes

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Resting 2 weeks is STUPID. Because smart coaches will....

week 1 rest all starters practice practice and get backups playing time
Week 2...repeat week 1. Weeks 3 thru 18 play starters and use the backups that played best weeks 1 and 2

Other option rest starters weeks 1 and 18

No, you're retarded and "smart coaches" would not do that.

You'd be much better off waiting until the end of the season so you'd know who you actually even need to sit as a lot of players will have missed games for various reasons. You'd also want to rest your more vital players against teams who are either out of conference, out of playoff contention, or far enough ahead of you that the loss won't affect your playoff chances.

You're also better off not resting all your starting players on the same games and rotating players throughout the season.

Finally, if coaches were actually taking your terrible advice then you'd have the non shitty ones play all their starters those weeks and rack up easy W's.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I have to admit, if this proposal happened (mandatory 2 games off) , I'd be real interested to see how bellicheat handles it. My guess is it would be similar to what ambi described but with the added caveat that, if the NFL allowed it, he'd put out false information on who he's going to sit for the coming weeks.

Fadaar

That guy
You know he'd sit Brady two early games just to fuck other teams later in the season

• 1Solidarity

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I have to admit, if this proposal happened (mandatory 2 games off) , I'd be real interested to see how bellicheat handles it. My guess is it would be similar to what ambi described but with the added caveat that, if the NFL allowed it, he'd put out false information on who he's going to sit for the coming weeks.
The Patriots would sign a mysterious backup QB named Bom Trady

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

orcmauler

Golden Squire
London is too far but there is very little harm having a Texas or LA team play a game in Mexico.
Raiders would probably be better off having all their home games played in Mexico in 2019 than in that decaying shit bucket that is the Coliseum
Just as a rough eta it is about 8hrs flight time from NY to London vs around 6ish from NY to LA. Does that extra hour or so really matter? Now what they should do is insist on east coast teams going to London (which iirc is what happens most times) then move the large market teams that fit in Mexico (Raiders/Cowgirls).....oh wait this is already what happens? Shit there goes my NFL analyst career.