2020 Academy Awards - No Willem Dafoe The Lighthouse nom

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Joy was pretty good. Passengers was super dumb, Hollywood almost never gets sci fi right. Mother! idk, I didn't finish that and didn't watch Red Sparrow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
limp bizkit got snubbed for the true masterpiece of 2019, The Fanatic

6UZnS7d.jpg

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Joy was pretty good. Passengers was super dumb, Hollywood almost never gets sci fi right. Mother! idk, I didn't finish that and didn't watch Red Sparrow.

Never saw Joy. Felt they were just trying to put her and De Niro together again and assuming it would work.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Marty's already working on another one, with DiCaprio and DeNiro no less. I think all the rose colored glasses shit with The Irishman just comes from nostalgia over Goodfellas. Yeah, Goodfellas was amazing, they should have given him all the awards the year that came out. Instead they gave them all to Kevin Costner, because it's not an award for art, it's an industry recognition thing. Heaping praise on mediocre work doesn't make up for them shitting the bed when it came to Goodfellas.
it was actually what passed for "woke" in 1990. the noble savage was a thing back then. i liked the movie, but goodfellas was clearly a much more riveting film, it was one of those "gamechanger" films i have talked about many times. if no Goodfellas, you wouldnt have had a Reservoir Dogs and then no Pulp Fiction.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I havent watched all her work, but silver linings playlist might be the best thing I watched her in. Granted my guess is she wasnt playing too far afield from her actual personality which is probably why she was good in it.

Szlia

It's a bit surprising that Parasite can be nominated in both the best film and the best foreign film categories... though I think it did happen before ?

also fuck Pain and Gain, another movie about how hard life is for Hollywood insiders and how amazing they are for overcoming obstacles like getting old

The title is Pain and Glory and, considering it's a Spanish film, your little tirade is a bit silly. I have not seen the film yet, but I know it's in part based on Almodovar's life, so I am going to guess being a gay man in a catholic dictatorship might not be the greatest thing and that being part of a vibrant counterculture scene in the '80s usually comes with some drama attached (drugs, AIDS, remnants of the dictatorship, etc).

The one thing about hunger games that really stuck out to me wasn't anything about the movie itself. It was fine, you know. Not great, not horrible, it was perfectly adequate for the type of movie that it is.

But in the credits, there is a Lawrence listed as either the first or second producer. Usually I ignore credits entirely but for some reason I watched those credits. I saw that and had one of those "oh, that explains that" moments.
You probably saw the name of Francis Lawrence who directed the second, third and fourth Hunger Games movies as well as Red Sparrow. The guy is an austrian born in Vienna and totally unrelated to Jennifer Lawrence, who is the daughter of a construction worker and of a summer camp manager from Kentucky. Doesn't that scream Hollywood royalty ?

While I am at it, what transformed Lawrence from an actress to a star is her academy award nomination for the leading part in Winter's Bone.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's a bit surprising that Parasite can be nominated in both the best film and the best foreign film categories... though I think it did happen before ?

The title is Pain and Glory and, considering it's a Spanish film, your little tirade is a bit silly. I have not seen the film yet, but I know it's in part based on Almodovar's life, so I am going to guess being a gay man in a catholic dictatorship might not be the greatest thing and that being part of a vibrant counterculture scene in the '80s usually comes with some drama attached (drugs, AIDS, remnants of the dictatorship, etc).

You probably saw the name of Francis Lawrence who directed the second, third and fourth Hunger Games movies as well as Red Sparrow. The guy is an austrian born in Vienna and totally unrelated to Jennifer Lawrence, who is the daughter of a construction worker and of a summer camp manager from Kentucky. Doesn't that scream Hollywood royalty ?

While I am at it, what transformed Lawrence from an actress to a star is her academy award nomination for the leading part in Winter's Bone.

You are the most insufferably pretentious person on this entire forum, but god damn if I don't love reading most of your posts anyway.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd always wondered if they were related. I was assuming that they were and it was that brazen.

Good to know it wasn't.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

While Winter's Bone may have put her on the radar for people inside the industry, it didn't turn her into a star for people buying tickets. Winter's Bone made like $16M total at the box office.

Fucker

Log Wizard

What transformed her from an actress to a star is her lips around Harvey's wang. It's not much of a secret that she was his pet, and it's no coincidence her roles vanished when he did.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Szlia

Your theory is interesting Fucker Fucker , but I don't find particularly surprising that an actress who did 3 movies a year when she was in her early 20s works at a slower pace in her late 20s (and is a millionaire). In 2019 she only was in a supporting part in Dark Phoenix, but also got married. She will be in a couple movies in 2020, most notably as the main character in the next Paolo Sorrentino movie, so yeah...

Fucker

Log Wizard
Your theory is interesting Fucker Fucker , but I don't find particularly surprising that an actress who did 3 movies a year when she was in her early 20s works at a slower pace in her late 20s (and is a millionaire). In 2019 she only was in a supporting part in Dark Phoenix, but also got married. She will be in a couple movies in 2020, most notably as the main character in the next Paolo Sorrentino movie, so yeah...

Who?

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He's the guy who made The Young Pope and The New Pope. idk, she seems like she's doing fine to me, some good stuff some bad some meh.

Also, yeah, at her level she likely has different priorities. get locked into a multi-picture deal for yet another (this would be her third) franchise to make another gajillion dollars? Why? Make money hats? At this point, if she does art house shit, so what? Although, she hasn't, that Aronofsky shit was the closest she's gotten, her shitall seems to make money, ya'll hatin

Last edited:

Cybsled

Hollywood is littered with actors and actresses who had hot streaks/were the "big thing", then cooled down significantly. It's not anything new.

1) Star becomes big
2) Star commands more money for roles
3) If the RoI for the actor/actress is good, then they can continue to command that much. If the RoI isn't so good, then usually they only get 1 or 2 more shots before their ability to command good money/good roles begins to wane
4) Once big stars who cooled off then pray that someone like Tarrantino resurrects their career lol

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Oh yeah - no Uncut Gems in Best Picture. Bullshit right there.

Memba:
No idea what uncut gems is actually about, but its getting flak for portraying jews with negative stereotypes. Not to go all Mario, but I suspect that, and Adam Sandler being a known hack, is going to keep it out of the running because it doesn't have a lot of promotion outside of that.

Last edited:

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
pretty boring year in movies. although most years i only have seen like 10% of oscar movies, this year i've seen like 80% of them thanks to A-List and more mainstream noms. no "slavery is bad, mmmk" or "being straight is not normal" movies

like most years i guess this will be one we mostly forget movie wise, except for End Game, Joker, and maybe Midsommar, Lighthouse, Uncut Gems, and Parasite.

Uncut Gems seems to have been completely ignored.

also fuck Pain and Gain, another movie about how hard life is for Hollywood insiders and how amazing they are for overcoming obstacles like getting old

I mean, its weird...As someone else said, this has been a solid year for movies but nothing extremely exceptional. Its like a room full of solid 8s and 9's--but no 10s. A lot of movies had mind blowing individual achievements, like 1917's cinematography, but nothing really brought the whole package together perfectly.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought Joker was absolutely amazing. Co-worker and I saw it on a lunch break and talked about it for the next two lunches in a row. Don't get me wrong I have no strong desire to see it again but man that was just a great piece of work.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
What kinda lunch breaks do you have??

Enough time to watch a movie? I could watch a movie's trailer, once I'm finished eating.