2020 Academy Awards - No Willem Dafoe The Lighthouse nom

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Site Reliability; on-call a lot but my days can be broken up pretty much however I like, hah. Handled meetings from 9-noon, went and saw the movie, came back and worked 3-8.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
It's a bit surprising that Parasite can be nominated in both the best film and the best foreign film categories... though I think it did happen before ?

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Watch this and tell me that it isn't a fucking travesty that Dafoe didn't get a nom. Spoilers for the movie obviously

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Watch this and tell me that it isn't a fucking travesty that Dafoe didn't get a nom. Spoilers for the movie obviously

That scene was fucking brutal to watch. He just has to get his monologue out and literally eats the dirt so he can keep talking. He doesn't even spit it out. It's fucking insane. I've always though Daniel Day Lewis' Bill the Butcher in GONY was the best character/acting I've ever seen, but I think Dafoe has taken first place now. He was simply fucking amazing in this. Just flawless, god damn it. And Pattinson was almost just as fucking good. But Dafoe fucking slayed.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Watched 1917. I'm sliding that fucker to the top. Also rethought my placement of Joker. It's moved up a spot.

So based on what I've watched from the best picture list, here's my ranking:

1. 1917
2. Joker
3. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
4. The Irishman
5. Jojo Rabbit
6. Ford V Ferrari

Still have to see:
Little Women
Marriage Story
Parasite
[/QUOTE]

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just watched The Lighthouse. Fucking amazing. Dafoe wins best Actor unanimously in a just world. He is a master and this was his finest work.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
DaFoe was amazing in The Lighthouse but, I'm a fan of weird movies that fuck with your mind/make you think (Vanilla Sky being a prime example). I felt like The Lighthouse was just fucking bizarre for bizarre's sake and wasn't a huge fan.

Sterling

El Presidente
Just watched The Lighthouse. Fucking amazing. Dafoe wins best Actor unanimously in a just world. He is a master and this was his finest work.
I like the movie a lot and think he was very good in it. I also think that weird doesn't necessarily mean better and think he's done a lot of great work and wouldn't put this at the top of the list.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I like the movie a lot and think he was very good in it. I also think that weird doesn't necessarily mean better and think he's done a lot of great work and wouldn't put this at the top of the list.

THERE WAS A FIRE FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHHT!

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Watched Little Women and Marriage Story. I thought Marriage Story was a great take on a failed marriage - not what I expected. I thought Little Women was well directed and filmed, but I just can't get into the story. Just not my thing.

So based on what I've watched from the best picture list, here's my ranking:

1. 1917
2. Joker
3. Marriage Story
4. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
5. The Irishman
6. Jojo Rabbit
7. Little Women
8. Ford V Ferrari

In all honesty, I think my ranks should be more like:

Joker
Marriage Story
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Little Women

Ford V Ferrari

FvF does not belong in this list at all. It's a good movie, but not best picture list good. Still have to see Parasite

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah Marriage Story I put on because what the hell, and I like Noah Baumbach, but I didn't have any real expectations. That was a pretty damn good movie though.

The one thing I hate about it, and I'm not the first person to make this observation by a long shot, is how annoying it is that every movie seems to involve someone in the entertainment industry. He's an indie playwright and she's a Hollywood actress.... every movie is some form of this. Always some <insert creative profession> who has to make the big pitch, or compete for the grant, or land the audition. Only reason I'm crying about it is because it's become ubiquitous, but it's jarring when you see it in something like this that is otherwise so grounded and believable. Certainly there should be some movies about hollywood types, but there's just way too many. It's understandable that this couple couldn't get their shit together and figure out how to let them both be successful, but you could tell that same story with just normal ass jobs.

It's just a less interesting story when it's so inside baseball, it makes it less approachable, less portable. Which is too bad with a movie like that, could have had broader appeal.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah Marriage Story I put on because what the hell, and I like Noah Baumbach, but I didn't have any real expectations. That was a pretty damn good movie though.

The one thing I hate about it, and I'm not the first person to make this observation by a long shot, is how annoying it is that every movie seems to involve someone in the entertainment industry. He's an indie playwright and she's a Hollywood actress.... every movie is some form of this. Always some <insert creative profession> who has to make the big pitch, or compete for the grant, or land the audition. Only reason I'm crying about it is because it's become ubiquitous, but it's jarring when you see it in something like this that is otherwise so grounded and believable. Certainly there should be some movies about hollywood types, but there's just way too many. It's understandable that this couple couldn't get their shit together and figure out how to let them both be successful, but you could tell that same story with just normal ass jobs.

It's just a less interesting story when it's so inside baseball, it makes it less approachable, less portable. Which is too bad with a movie like that, could have had broader appeal.
Some of that is writing is easier when you write about shit you know about. Part of it is pandering and having some different shit would certainly be nice.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

All done best pic viewings. Here's my enjoyment rankings:

1. 1917
2. Parasite
3. Joker
4. Marriage Story
5. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
6. The Irishman
7. Jojo Rabbit
8. Little Women
9. Ford V Ferrari

If the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences didn't have their heads up their asses, top five would look like this:

1. The Lighthouse
2. 1917
3. Parasite
4. Uncut Gems
5. Joker

fite me

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Lighthouse and 1917 are the best movies I have seen this year.

I enjoyed Uncut Gems. I still need to see Ford v Ferrari & Parasite.

I have to give Joker a 'meh' rating for trying to shoe-horn in a comic book tie-in and telling a story without merit. Dude was a loser, went crazy, and killed people... roll credits. Fuck off with that shit.

• 2Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I needs a live tv stream of this.
giphy.gif

• 2Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Maybe he has a fetish for rich narcissists jerking themselves off as a group. Don't kink shame, bro.
Oh shit. My apologies Adebisi Adebisi , my microaggression was committed from ignorance, not malice. Plz forgive my white male privilege.