2020 Academy Awards - No Willem Dafoe The Lighthouse nom

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I actually expected Taron Egerton to get a nom for Rocketman as well as Awkwafina who were both recognized by the Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild.

Not nominating Frozen 2 for animated feature seems very strange as does not nominating Beyonce for her new Lion King song. That move alone cost the network a chunk of viewers who would have just tuned in to see her perform.
Maybe there was another film with next level computer animation, but actually was a good story?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Social justice Twitter rustled about how white the nominations are.

Lol @ Hollywood trying to appease them the last couple years with that moonlight win and pretending Black Panther deserved anything remotely close to an award.

Academy be like "why are they so mad! We pretended to like Black Panther! What more do they want!"

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have never spoke with anyone who thinks Once upon a time in Hollywood was worth watching, everyone wanted their time back.

I've heard the exact opposite, that this was actually way better than The Irishman.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Social justice Twitter rustled about how white the nominations are.

Lol @ Hollywood trying to appease them the last couple years with that moonlight win and pretending Black Panther deserved anything remotely close to an award.

Academy be like "why are they so mad! We pretended to like Black Panther! What more do they want!"
they can only put out so many white masters keeping blacks down movies a year before they start repeating themselves. there are only 3 black people in hollywood they give all the lead roles to at any particular time anyway.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Once upon a time is a pretty mediocre movie (except for a few really good performances from Leo) until the last 20 or so minutes. The last act of the movie literally makes the entire thing worth watching.

It definitely doesn't deserve best picture cred but, in a year mostly devoid of really incredible movies, I guess it's reasonable that it got a nomination.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I've said it before, but the collapse of the Weinstein promotion machine has made Oscar season weird.

There aren't even any major issue movies this year - no gays, no slavery, and the 'Holocaust' movie is the one everyone is complaining doesn't belong!

I would think true Cinephiles would argue there were just as many snubs as usual (Uncut Gems, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Little Women, The Lighthouse, High Life (if that's considered a 2019 release), etc.), but if you put out a movie and no one does any press, did it really get released? Instead, we are left with a list of movies... I've actually heard of!?

Personally, I've always subscribed to the "bloc theory": while the Oscar's voting members change every year, most of them can be slotted into voting blocs (Social Justice, Nostalgia, Movies about Show Business, Euro Bloc, etc.) and its how many of those blocs a movie appeals to that determines who wins. Keeping that in mind, even a French Black and White silent film (The Artist) can be seen in retrospect as the easiest lock ever, once you realize how many bloc boxes it ticks.

A cynic would say that Tarantino has played this perfectly. (He's previously only won for writing.) He's publicly announced he has a few as one movie left, giving the Academy a deadline to reward him, then he's released a movie designed to appeal to as many voting blocs as he will ever get. (Not to mention being one of the few people left (along with Nolan) that can personally produce a giant budget movie people will line up to see that isn't tied to an existing IP.) Sure, 1917 will pull in the Euro and part of the Nostalgia bloc and win the technical awards, but I think Once Upon a Time will pull out the Best Picture and Director wins.

(Despite being the Tarantino movie I am least likely to revisit. Congrats Death Proof, you're out of the basement!)

P.S. Sorry James Mangold, but this was not the year to put out Ford vs. Ferrari.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its simple, 2019 was a lackluster year, Endgame was like a blackhole at the box office. it sucked most of the movie money out of the world and after it was through people were like what else you got? mr rodgers? a car movie? another war movie? how many reboots and sequels that nobody cares about are you gonna release? nah dawg i'm out. this year should be a little better.

• 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
its simple, 2019 was a lackluster year, Endgame was like a blackhole at the box office. it sucked most of the movie money out of the world and after it was through people were like what else you got? mr rodgers? a car movie? another war movie? how many reboots and sequels that nobody cares about are you gonna release? nah dawg i'm out. this year should be a little better.

This is probably true.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Box office matters.

Lighthouse didn't do numbers.
I looked up a few past winners/nominees because my feeling was that winners and noms often aren't doing well at the box office. That may be true, The Master did like 28 million lifetime, The Lighthouse has done like 13 million so, yeah, point taken. I guess it doesn't have to be a blockbuster but this one just didn't do anything. Sad!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not enough black, tranny, gay actors and directors on this list. Will boycot this year.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Certainly not if you are Jennifer Lawrence. Her career vanished the moment she couldn't suck anyone off for a role.
Why have her suck you off when you can stare at her facial pics while a new fresh 21 year old starlet wanna be sucks you off?

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
The one thing about hunger games that really stuck out to me wasn't anything about the movie itself. It was fine, you know. Not great, not horrible, it was perfectly adequate for the type of movie that it is.

But in the credits, there is a Lawrence listed as either the first or second producer. Usually I ignore credits entirely but for some reason I watched those credits. I saw that and had one of those "oh, that explains that" moments.

As for the awards... I'd expect them to give 2/3 of them to Tarrantino and Scorsese. Marty because this is the last one he's going to make, pretty much, and everyone has to be aware of it. Send him out with a kudos. Tarrantino because how can they possibly resist.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Marty's already working on another one, with DiCaprio and DeNiro no less. I think all the rose colored glasses shit with The Irishman just comes from nostalgia over Goodfellas. Yeah, Goodfellas was amazing, they should have given him all the awards the year that came out. Instead they gave them all to Kevin Costner, because it's not an award for art, it's an industry recognition thing. Heaping praise on mediocre work doesn't make up for them shitting the bed when it came to Goodfellas.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Certainly not if you are Jennifer Lawrence. Her career vanished the moment she couldn't suck anyone off for a role.

I don't think it helped that her or her agent picked some shitty roles for her. Mother? Red Sparrow? Passengers is only barely watchable because of Pratt for the most part (honestly the only one of the three that was an idea with any mainstream appeal, too). I guess technically she was stuck shooting a couple more X men movies (although again, shit films).

I mean if you're trying to stay relevant, they fucked up big time getting her anything worthwhile after the Hunger Games stuff was done. She was all right in American Hustle, I guess.