(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Chris

Potato del Grande
Trailer is really generic? Could be any barbarian vs kingdom battle from any fantasy or historical setting.

I appreciated the historical accuracy I guess. Seems to be set between 927 and 1066 which is fairly late in the Viking invading England era (793-1066), I think the king is named so you could narrow it down more, setting it in 999 would be awesome.

I don't like the Anglo-Saxons being the enemy, they got kinda screwed over by constant invasions and had their culture erased in 1066 other than the name of the country and half the words in the language. Lord of the Rings was written to replace that lost culture.

I also don't like it being set in Dark Ages Europe, unless you like jumping off small wooden buildings, stone buildings weren't really a thing in England back then unless it was a Roman ruin. Maybe you could island hop to Newfoundland but that's even worse.

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
SOON BROTHERS

This will be the only song i listen to when i play that game. the neighbors are gonna be pissed.

Also, someone said it, but is that supposed to be Ragnar Lodbrok and his brother? It really did look like History Channel Presents: Vikings the Game.

spronk

FPS noob
game will be great i'm sure but there is almost no reason to really buy a ubisoft game at launch, the ultimate edition is $110 and it will be $30 or less after six months and it takes that long for them to patch the game up and release most of the DLCs too. I'm still playing AC Odyssey now and its been 2 years, plugged in over 60 hours and I've probably got another 60 to go (including all the DLCs which are supposed to be great). Enjoy the game, but they really put in a ton of filler side quests.

The nice thing about Ubi is even if they release a pretty shitty game at launch they tend to try really, really hard to fix it up - Division 1 & 2, For Honor, Ghost Recon 1 & 2, etc all were really meh at launch but they worked hard at it and kept patching. The only game that was probably worth buying at launch due to MP was Rainbow Six.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hopefully they got a group like this to do some soundtrack work.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
game will be great i'm sure but there is almost no reason to really buy a ubisoft game at launch, the ultimate edition is $110 and it will be $30 or less after six months and it takes that long for them to patch the game up and release most of the DLCs too. I'm still playing AC Odyssey now and its been 2 years, plugged in over 60 hours and I've probably got another 60 to go (including all the DLCs which are supposed to be great). Enjoy the game, but they really put in a ton of filler side quests.

The nice thing about Ubi is even if they release a pretty shitty game at launch they tend to try really, really hard to fix it up - Division 1 & 2, For Honor, Ghost Recon 1 & 2, etc all were really meh at launch but they worked hard at it and kept patching. The only game that was probably worth buying at launch due to MP was Rainbow Six.

I don't buy anything from Ubisoft anymore on PC, just re-up uPlay+ for a month or two.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah for PC gamers best thing to do is just sub to their service and play through it for 14 bucks. Only thing I really hate about this series is their continual grind trying to sell That perm XP boost. I wouldn’t mind that if they didn’t nerf XP to begin with. I also wish they would try harder in Original content launch to bring more DLC style quests. Fate of Atlantis was pretty cool. Should have done something like that in the base story and then go to Olympus in the dlc. Would be nice to play through the mythos without that stupid modern day crap ripping me out of the world I want to be in.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
UHTRED, SON OF UHTRED
I hate how he says Bebbanburg. But on the flip side, its incredibly fun to quote. We have yet to watch the new season, but my g/f is already doing those Yips and shit from the intro song every time I pass it on Netflix. She loves Uhtred.

Trailer is really generic? Could be any barbarian vs kingdom battle from any fantasy or historical setting.

I appreciated the historical accuracy I guess. Seems to be set between 927 and 1066 which is fairly late in the Viking invading England era (793-1066), I think the king is named so you could narrow it down more, setting it in 999 would be awesome.

I don't like the Anglo-Saxons being the enemy, they got kinda screwed over by constant invasions and had their culture erased in 1066 other than the name of the country and half the words in the language. Lord of the Rings was written to replace that lost culture.

I also don't like it being set in Dark Ages Europe, unless you like jumping off small wooden buildings, stone buildings weren't really a thing in England back then unless it was a Roman ruin. Maybe you could island hop to Newfoundland but that's even worse.

I thought a lot of the same things you did about the AC: Origins. Like.. how much parkour can you really do off a Pyramid? But the parkour part of Origins worked out pretty well. Small buildings and such still set up reliable game play - similar to how Black Flag did several parts of that game. Tall Trees and Indians for example.

As far as who the enemy of the Vikings was - you could pick basically anywhere, true. Vikings raided or invaded what seems like the whole of Europe and its closest neighbors. But the richest, most documented history of Vikings stems from their countries of origin and your Anglo Saxons. Thankfully, Anglo-Saxons were scholarly enough to record much of the raiding and later, invasions of their land in great detail. Unfortunately for your argument, England is a land of invasions. I could extend pity, but not to the Anglo Saxons. Maybe to the tribes that would be clumped together by historians as the Picts? But even then, it's believed that they were invaders themselves. Picts at least went through the Roman Invasions, which noted from historians outside of Roman influence, that their religion and culture was effectively silenced in much of Europe. Genocide being one of many atrocities against them.

TL;DR - It's a game, and it looks like it'll be a good game. Stop being sensitive to shit that happened a thousand years ago. Much like statues that originated from 150 years ago.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's best to not take these games too serious. As much as I love their world building, they play fast and loose with history. And the characters tend to be made into one sided caricatures for dramatic effect.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
giidjpippzv41.jpg
I laughed so hard muttering this out loud. That shit is going to be stuck in my head for the next 10 years, Tuc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's best to not take these games too serious. As much as I love their world building, they play fast and loose with history. And the characters tend to be made into one sided caricatures for dramatic effect.
I wish

Would play

whenever you started to gallop quickly ala

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Awesome picture. I just slapped this thing together really quick in Inkscape so I could try engraving it when I get home today.

The woman is gone for 3 days, so she's going to be really fucking unhappy when she sees all the laser engraved "art" i'm hanging up while she's gone. Just finished up the blade runner 2049 one.

Final-1-jpg.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Well, with odyssey I can attest they were dead on. I came back from Greece about two months before a hopped in it. We did a tour of the Olympic ruins and the entire map they created was spot on cool. While we saw the ruins in real life, from Zeus temple to where they light the torch, hearing the history behind it all; seeing it in the game was incredibly the same. Even down to the mountains in the back of the field where they believed the Gods would watch them perform.

The Acropolis and Athens was spot on as well. Right down to how you would get up there (steps and hills). Was pretty awesome. From the history we were guided through, I did a few of the odyssey tours in game and they were almost identical.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Awesome picture. I just slapped this thing together really quick in Inkscape so I could try engraving it when I get home today.

The woman is gone for 3 days, so she's going to be really fucking unhappy when she sees all the laser engraved "art" i'm hanging up while she's gone. Just finished up the blade runner 2049 one.

View attachment 266734

Dude that’s good work!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Vikings finally depicted without horned Hollywood helmets.

A+ trailer.

Game apparently starts in Norway too. Wonder where and when. Ancestors of my moms side have been traced back to 1100s that era living in the coast of the middle of the country where the Vikings were prevalent. The last names we've found were named after one of the Viking chieftains and leaders of the farmer rebellion where they killed the king. Basically the old heathen Vikings vs Christianity (Olav that had worked for King(s) in England and had returned to Norway and wanted to Christianise it).

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Vikings finally depicted without horned Hollywood helmets.

A+ trailer.

Game apparently starts in Norway too. Wonder where and when. Ancestors of my moms side have been traced back to 1100s that era living in the coast of the middle of the country where the Vikings were prevalent. The last names we've found were named after one of the Viking chieftains and leaders of the farmer rebellion where they killed the king. Basically the old heathen Vikings vs Christianity (Olav that had worked for King(s) in England and had returned to Norway and wanted to Christianise it).
Well, Alfred the Great is supposed to be the/a antagonist, so timeline-wise we're looking at the mid-ninth century.