2020 GOTY

Nate

Molten Core Raider
Hades for me. Very impressive a small studio like that is even in the same discussion as GoT and CP:2077. They’ve made a few other excellent games, here’s hoping their success will bankroll a true triple A title.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I am surprised by Crusader King III being mentioned just the once. Isn't it supposed to be great ? Maybe it's too much of a niche game or maybe people playing it don't have time to go on message boards.....
It's badly lacking in polish and features that were presumably chopped out so that Paradox could sell them as DLC.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’m a bit of a half-life nerd but I actually started to cry at the end , has to be my goty. I’d imagine it would be everyone’s except Vr hasn’t had that much market penetration really.
Next would be cyberpunk for me, but I’ve not played ghosts, hades or fenyx. Haven’t bothered playing genshin but just watching videos of that shit I can tell I’d hate it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have Hades and Fenyx Rising but haven't started them yet. I'm in Cyberpunk mode right now.

My GOTY is Ghost of Tsushima at the moment. I'm over 40 hours into Cyberpunk and I don't think it'll top GoT. But I still have a ton of the main story to uncover.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Ghost of Tsushima was easily my GOTY. The setting and story were amazing and I loved the gameplay.

My surprise second is Genshin Impact. I’ve never played a Gatcha or even F2P game seriously and I utterly enjoyed the gameplay and narrative of GI. One of the most memorable bossfights of the year.

Demons Souls remaster is 3rd.

Cyberpunk is my disappointment of the year since I honestly believed it was going to be so much more than it turned out to be. It’s not only the terrible and constant bugs that bother me, but the godawful AI, driving, cop mechanics, secondary missions, balance, UI, lack of verticality, etc.

Caliane

Hades for me. Very impressive a small studio like that is even in the same discussion as GoT and CP:2077. They’ve made a few other excellent games, here’s hoping their success will bankroll a true triple A title.
The entire point of their studio was to break away from AAA grind, and make their own finely crafted games, in a small studio environment. They'll never balloon up to AAA.

They are the craft beer comparison...

Which... huh. indie craft studio innovates/pioneers... then sells IP and design docs to larger studios to mass produce..
Why is that not a thing?

• 1Galaxy Brain

Caliane

I am surprised by Crusader King III being mentioned just the once. Isn't it supposed to be great ? Maybe it's too much of a niche game or maybe people playing it don't have time to go on message boards.....
Theres alot of games we just don't talk about much here. the array of genres we talk about is kindof small. many here just play the same stuff, and don't really branch out much. or just don't talk about the ones they do.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The entire point of their studio was to break away from AAA grind, and make their own finely crafted games, in a small studio environment. They'll never balloon up to AAA.

They are the craft beer comparison...

Which... huh. indie craft studio innovates/pioneers... then sells IP and design docs to larger studios to mass produce..
Why is that not a thing?

The entire studio just gets gobbled up and summarily executed instead.

1609425473959.png

Trying to think of the last great IP that changed hands in that sense and went on to success.

GoT and Hades are my choices as we’ll and I feel like I went through quite a few games this year with COVID and permanent working from home. Got paid to play a lot this year.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i guess after cyberpunk i'll give hades a shot

did you hades ppl play on switch like a portable or big screen/pc?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
i guess after cyberpunk i'll give hades a shot

did you hades ppl play on switch like a portable or big screen/pc?

I think there were multiple people on both in the main thread. Check there for infos and explanation of game stuff. Was some good information.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think there were multiple people on both in the main thread. Check there for infos and explanation of game stuff. Was some good information.
man it woulda been a good game for switch if you had to travel i bet, but fucking covid

Caliane

The entire studio just gets gobbled up and summarily executed instead.

View attachment 326338

Trying to think of the last great IP that changed hands in that sense and went on to success.

GoT and Hades are my choices as we’ll and I feel like I went through quite a few games this year with COVID and permanent working from home. Got paid to play a lot this year.
I'm not saying the studio sells ITSELF. I'm saying the studio sells its product to the AAA studio.

Big studios go the other way all the time. Like, Nintendo farming out Metroid to Rare, got Metroid Prime. Theres countless of examples of sequels, etc being farmed out to other studios. Sometimes in full, sometimes in partial. Sometimes its within the publisher, sometimes not.
like, Bioshock =2k marin, and Irrational games, published by 2k games. Bioshock 2 was 2k Marin, published by 2k games.

Obsidian is of course known for making games for other people.

From the publisher side, it appears yes, they have decided its easier to just buy the entire studio in nearly every case.

The only examples of the otherway way around I can think of, is more from dead studios. Fallout, Vampire:the masquerade, might and magic:x legacy, etc. publishers buying the rights to long dead IPs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Monster Train is really addicting. TY TheBeagle TheBeagle

I played like 6 hours straight yesterday. Totally a "just one more" game.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Raskoljnikov

Lord Nagafen Raider
Didn't play lot games from this year, so my pick is Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Had more fun with this then with the previous game. Although Blind Forest is also nice, but this one is even better. Better looking world, all sort of colors, different kind of levels and sweet new stuff.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
This might have been my most disappointing year ever. I was super excited to started it out with Monster Hunter Iceborne (which was great) straight into 3 months of 3 of my most anticipated games ever followed by new consoles...

FF7:R - good but couldn't live up to my unrealistic expectations
TLoU2 - So bad it ruined my faith in naughty dog. I loved all the previous games. Didn't even buy this one.
Cyberpunk - Delayed. I'm playing it off and on now and it's decent, but just not quite where it should be yet.

I guess that leaves Demon's Souls or Genshin Impact for my pick. DS is self explanatory. Genshin was a complete surprise. The exploration is like Breath of the Wild but way more fun in my opinion. The storyline started off really bad but picks up nicely, and the individual character story quests have been great.

Ghosts is in my backlog for when I feel like starting up yet another open world. I can't do those back to back.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
2077 might be my goty in 2-3 years after it's had the same amount of post-release polish that Witcher 3 got.

Monster Train definitely goty for me, although I haven't picked up Hades.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
GOY Vote: Monster Train. It is just fun and addicting gameplay. Low stakes, pickup-put down, 30 minutes in and out.

Honorable Mention: Doom Eternal

Didn't Play: Ghosts of Tsushima, HL Alyx, Hades

Biggest Disappointment: Cyberpunk. I can look past the bugs for the most part and I am happy to pay them $60 for what we got. My complaints are that the world just feels artificial compared to something like GTA 5. The gig's & world events are all cookie cutter. The side missions and the main story are pretty good, but the overall gameplay loops were just stuff that was industry established a decade ago. It is a good game, but not a classic. I hope and expect that they will release an expansion like Blood & Wine at some point that will be the Cyberpunk we all hoped for.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Bought Monster Train last night. Have had it wishlisted but this thread pushed me to buy while it’s on sale. I need more free time ><

• 1Like