2021-2022 NFL Season: Deshaun Watson will die a Texan!

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, figure something must have clearly happened that isn't yet public

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I mean the 49ers are desperate for CB help, but I don't know if they will be aggressive as they probably should.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Don’t pay overpay a 31 year old CB on the decline.

huge decline in play from 2019 to 2020

From PFF for what it’s worth:

Gilmore was comfortably the No. 1 cornerback in the league heading into the 2020 season, fresh off a Defensive Player of the Year award in 2019. The outlook isn’t nearly as rosy heading into 2021 after a noticeable decline in play last season.

After recording three straight coverage grades of at least 85.0 in New England’s defense, Gilmore put up just a 58.5 coverage grade in 2020. He recorded just one interception and two pass breakups on 42 targets, allowing a career-high 96.7 passer rating into his coverage. Whether it was injuries or age starting to show in one of the man-heaviest defenses in the NFL, he was not the same player in 2020.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
who has cap room?
He wants $15mm

His cap hit this year was $16mm for a $7mm salary.

oof.
I'm not sure who has the cap space but I would add Dallas and Green Bay as fits to that list, but not dire need. I'm not going to pretend how the cap works and all the accounting tricks teams can do.

He's not going to get 15m though. I think he is overvaluing himself because of the way Belichick used him in the defensive system. You can see it better in games against division rivals the last few games he played; he was targeted by Josh Allen and Ryan Fitzpatrick because there are some holes in his game when they don't have a safety over the top to back him up.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Remember, what he wants versus what teams actually need in current cap space, are very different.

All that said I don't want the 49ers to go all in on him beyond this year. If he wants a multi year deal, I would say no. But to pay him just this year to help shore up the CB situation? I would be all for it.

Edit: And let the rumors begin

Last edited:

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Remember, what he wants versus what teams actually need in current cap space, are very different.

All that said I don't want the 49ers to go all in on him beyond this year. If he wants a multi year deal, I would say no. But to pay him just this year to help shore up the CB situation? I would be all for it.

Edit: And let the rumors begin

That was the rumor up here in NE. He wanted 3 years.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Please pair him with Trevon Diggs, pretty please.

Please no. CB is one of the top positions where stud players go to different teams and are suddenly shitty.

Also sounds like he's already declined severely and wants a lot more money than he's worth

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Please no. CB is one of the top positions where stud players go to different teams and are suddenly shitty.

Also sounds like he's already declined severely and wants a lot more money than he's worth
He’s better than Anthony Brown even if he’s 1/10th of his 2019 self. I’m not saying long term deal I’m saying this year one year deal.