2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I can see the Patriots concluding they can't draft one of the top QBs without burning too many draft picks to move up, but $14Mil for that level of performance? That just doesn't seem wise, unless Darth Bill is using whatever he has available to make one last try before retirement.

To be clear, those voidable contract scenarios just push the cap hit into later years. Acceptable if you think the cap is going to massively expand next year, but eventually you turn into a bottom-5 team for at least a year as you have no money to spend. Then again, if you can time it for the same year when your QB retires, you were probably going to be dogshit anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
To be clear, those voidable contract scenarios just push the cap hit into later years. Acceptable if you think the cap is going to massively expand next year, but eventually you turn into a bottom-5 team for at least a year as you have no money to spend. Then again, if you can time it for the same year when your QB retires, you were probably going to be dogshit anyway.
This is why I'm ok with the fallout of pushing out the cap hits - time it with Brady retiring and keep as much of a super-team as possible for him. Brady isn't the greatest Buccaneer yet - he's in top 5 with Brooks/Lynch/Sapp. However if he wins another 1 or 2 - yep he will likely (not a meme) be "Buccaneers legend Tom Brady"

• 1Like

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just read that bradys extension with Tampa makes him the first QB in Bucs history to sign a second contract. Wild if true...

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Out of curiosity, I wonder how much more money Brady would have made over the years if he'd cared more about paychecks and less about the Superb Owl?

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Would he have gotten as far after the rookie contract is the question there if he was eating a huge chunk of cap space by himself. I'd wager yes, the Pats seemed to have some voodoo at work there for a long time.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd be curious to know how much he makes in endorsements compared to the rest of the league, too. Not expecting him to be the highest or anything, but he could be up there if he wanted, I'm sure.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Out of curiosity, I wonder how much more money Brady would have made over the years if he'd cared more about paychecks and less about the Superb Owl?
Still less than his wife. He could play for free and his household would still outearn most qbs.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I can see the Patriots concluding they can't draft one of the top QBs without burning too many draft picks to move up, but $14Mil for that level of performance? That just doesn't seem wise, unless Darth Bill is using whatever he has available to make one last try before retirement.

We know (see assume) the cap will go up to at least last years level lets say, next year, once crowds return. This huge cap cut was a weird anomaly.

• 1Like

Merrith

Come on Muurloen, the whole "they can't trade him because of the cap" has been completely debunked.

At this point it is just all about the drama of seeing what actually ends up happening and whether the Texans can turn what should be a shit sandwich into something edible.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Chargers releasing all kinds of people. Wonder what the plan is. Drafting replacements or free agency for the second time?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Chargers releasing all kinds of people. Wonder what the plan is. Drafting replacements or free agency for the second time?
Lots of teams releasing lots of players cause of the cap reduction. This is going to be one of the most interesting years of FA ever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like the 49ers are about to overpay for Juice again. As much as I like him and think he is the best at his position, he isn't worth the $5M per year he is probably going to get.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I like him too but it's hard to believe they couldn't get similar production but just putting in another tight end. They probably have to pay him to keep him from getting stolen by the Jets since there aren't very many teams he would fit in with.

Merrith

Aaron Jones back with Packers, 4 years, $48M I'm reading.

• 1Like