2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
49er's now have to be right on who Jets are selecting to not end up with their trade being completely worthless.

Good thing a lot of their former coaches control the Jets pick.

I know it's a 2nd next year, but little shocked they got that much return on Darnold.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Good thing a lot of their former coaches control the Jets pick.

I know it's a 2nd next year, but little shocked they got that much return on Darnold.
Guess they think it's The Jets that are ruining him. While they are probably not wrong the damage might be permanent.

• 1Like

Merrith

I'm just not sure right now if Darnold is even better than Teddy Bridgewater as a QB. Even with the 2nd and 4th being next year, some spots are claiming the overall trade value of the picks is equal to a late 1st. That just seems insane for Darnold.

One weird thing is while this virtually guarantees the top 3 picks will all be QB's, when the 4th QB comes off the board is a little murkier now. I can't imagine Carolina taking one now, so maybe Denver thinks they can stand pat at 9 instead of having to trade up ahead of Carolina at 8. Atlanta was never likely to do a trade with division rival anyways down from 4, but maybe the Pats look to move up depending on who the Niners take at 3?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm sure they just feel like Gase is QB AIDS and that Darnold should be fine. If there's no conditions for that 2 then it's a bit more than I expected, but if he turns out to be a decent QB then it's an easy trade.

• 1Like

Merrith

I'm sure they just feel like Gase is QB AIDS and that Darnold should be fine. If there's no conditions for that 2 then it's a bit more than I expected, but if he turns out to be a decent QB then it's an easy trade.

Obviously you have the Tannehill example for the potential Gase AIDS...but if I recall, Tannehill only had limited time as a starter in college, so taking a little longer to develop in the NFL shouldn't be surprising. Darnold took over his starting job as a redshirt freshman I believe.

Sterling

El Presidente
Obviously you have the Tannehill example for the potential Gase AIDS...but if I recall, Tannehill only had limited time as a starter in college, so taking a little longer to develop in the NFL shouldn't be surprising. Darnold took over his starting job as a redshirt freshman I believe.
Yeah, Tannehill was a WR early on in college then switched. Also, he wasn't nearly as bad in Miami as some people made out. I've always been on the side of him not having been the issue with Miami just being mediocre/average for his time there.

• 1Like

Merrith

Yeah, Tannehill was a WR early on in college then switched. Also, he wasn't nearly as bad in Miami as some people made out. I've always been on the side of him not having been the issue with Miami just being mediocre/average for his time there.

He's also kind of in the perfect situation with Tennessee (or has been up until this year). Sick running game behind Henry, makes play action so devastating, and came into a stud upcoming WR1 in AJ Brown.

• 1Truth!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Darnold was considered a can't-miss top 5 draft prospect 3 years ago. If someone can make him realize the potential that pretty much everyone thought he had back then then this is a no brainer trade for the Panthers compared to what SF just traded for somebody that is pretty much exactly the same thing Darnold was then.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Darnold was considered a can't-miss top 5 draft prospect 3 years ago. If someone can make him realize the potential that pretty much everyone thought he had back then then this is a no brainer trade for the Panthers compared to what SF just traded for somebody that is pretty much exactly the same thing Darnold was then.

Browns clearly didn't think he was can't miss. So far they've been right (although, right only in the sense that Baker has done better than Darnold, as Jackson and Allen clearly the top 2 QB's so far in the class).

Also lol Rosen.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, it's pretty shocking what a bust Rosen has turned out to be. Seems like it's mostly considered to be an attitude problem too.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

“Who wanted to kick that field goal?” the contestant wrote.

Rodgers responded, “That is a great question. Should be correct, but unfortunately for this game today it’s incorrect.”

lmfao

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Browns clearly didn't think he was can't miss. So far they've been right (although, right only in the sense that Baker has done better than Darnold, as Jackson and Allen clearly the top 2 QB's so far in the class).

Also lol Rosen.
They also went to the best teams. That is a big part of the equation.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Merrith

They also went to the best teams. That is a big part of the equation.

Jackson did by far, no question...but I'm just not seeing Darnold do what Allen did with Buffalo, or Lamar with the Ravens.

• 2Like

Fadaar

That guy
The one bright side for the Panthers is the rest of the division is on shaky ground at best when it comes to the future at QB. Saints are in cap hell and don't know who their starter will be yet, Falcons are the Falcons, and Tom Brady can only go for so long. Though I feel like we've been saying that about Brady for 10 years now.

• 2Like

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
The Bucs will finally move on from Tom Brady once they get Aaron Rodgers. He's a FA in 2 years right?

• 1Worf

Merrith

Need to keep up with the thread. Rodgers will be hosting Jeopardy by then!

There's a video out there of some contestant putting for his final Jeopardy answer "Who wanted to kick the field goal?" or something to that effect. Rodgers just laughs to himself a minute before responding, was pretty funny.