2023 NFL Offseason Thread - Now with less QB sneaks!

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, no matter what the 49ers fucked this up. They probably traded too much for him, and then never even gave him a real chance to play. Yes I understand injuries derailed both his rookie season and last year, and it sucks all around.

I still think he has upside, but until he can actually play for a season or 2, nobody will ever know. He could be awful forever, or he may very well grow if he gets some real gametime. I really hope he does well.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, no matter what the 49ers fucked this up. They probably traded too much for him, and then never even gave him a real chance to play. Yes I understand injuries derailed both his rookie season and last year, and it sucks all around.

I still think he has upside, but until he can actually play for a season or 2, nobody will ever know. He could be awful forever, or he may very well grow if he gets some real gametime. I really hope he does well.

It's not just the injuries but also the appearance of Brock Purdy. Nobody really could have predicted them getting a guy that was ready to play on day one from the bottom of the draft. No matter what Lance is, a guy that can play at a high level that doesn't need time to develop and is even cheaper and has more years on his rookie deal than Lance is too good to pass up on a team that's ready to win now with a lot of expensive stars to pay.

The real sad story will be if Purdy regresses this year but he looked really good in the first drive of the preseason game last week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
The real sad story will be if Purdy regresses this year but he looked really good in the first drive of the preseason game last week.
This right here is my big worry. They are putting a *ton* of faith in another QB just like they did with Jimmy G. While I think he already looked better than Jimmy did even at his best, it is still just so damn early to tell. And no, I don't feel any better with Darnold as the #2

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I hope he finds a spot and gets a chance but it's not like he didn't make a ton of money in the process. Something like $245k per attempt over 102 attempts.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah $34m is a pretty good consolation prize. Both 49ers kickers are hurt and the punter just missed an extra point. Maybe they should give Lance's money to Robbie Gould.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Only the 49ers. They use a 3rd round pick on a kicker, who struggles in the pre-season. He gets injured before the last pre-season game, so they have to send in the backup. Who goes on to injure himself during warmups.

W.T.F.

• 1Cutler

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Huge amount of pressure on Purdy now which is kind of weird if you think about it?
If Lance stays... you are pressured to play well otherwise you might lose the spot.
But now the pressure is even greater, there's no real backup, its all on your shoulders. Do it! or everyone fails.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Definitely wasn't thinking Cowboys as an option.

Now we will finally get to see what an offensive genius McFatty is when he unveils his 2 QB offense. Gunna have them both lined up side by side in the shotgun and the defenses won't know who's getting the snap. Later in the season, they may even line them up with one QB under center and the second one 5 yards back like a FB; then have the center snap between QB1's legs straight to QB2. it'll be GLORiOUS!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I mean, he's still QB3 in Dallas. Cooper is a better backup than trey right now.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not just the injuries but also the appearance of Brock Purdy. Nobody really could have predicted them getting a guy that was ready to play on day one from the bottom of the draft. No matter what Lance is, a guy that can play at a high level that doesn't need time to develop and is even cheaper and has more years on his rookie deal than Lance is too good to pass up on a team that's ready to win now with a lot of expensive stars to pay.

I imagine that Purdy had the benefit of nobody having much tape on him or familiarity with his style. They have plenty of tape on him now, and NFL defenses are excellent at adjustments once they have a little knowledge.

So it wouldn't be surprising for Purdy to regress this year and turn out to be a mediocre QB.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Only the 49ers. They use a 3rd round pick on a kicker, who struggles in the pre-season. He gets injured before the last pre-season game, so they have to send in the backup. Who goes on to injure himself during warmups.

W.T.F.
See this is why I jumped ship to a more competent team. Am I right, Denamian Denamian ?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I imagine that Purdy had the benefit of nobody having much tape on him or familiarity with his style. They have plenty of tape on him now, and NFL defenses are excellent at adjustments once they have a little knowledge.

So it wouldn't be surprising for Purdy to regress this year and turn out to be a mediocre QB.
Maybe, but he's not like Kaepernick where he was doing something that nobody's ever seen before. All Kyle wants Purdy to do is read the field quickly and get the ball to the open man from the pocket. Not really something you're going to find some novel defense against.