3 Body Problem

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i'm honestly surprised it wasn't cancelled given D&D behind it and the author/setting being heavily Chinese focused in the first book

the books start off SUPER SLOW and honestly extremely boring, its not really till the end of the first book and the latter books where it gets nuts and amazing. It'll be interesting to see how TV adapts it. There is absolutely no way D&D won't want to go in at full octane from the beginning and have twists and cliffhangers every episode, they desperately need to recreate early Game of Thrones magic.

also Amazon had originally funded this I coulda sworn, I wonder what happened

Interesting. I never finished the first book because it was so boring. Didn't get why everyone hyped the 3 Body Problem. Figured it was herd speak. Will have to read the rest of it now see if it does get better.

But not sure about Benioff and Weiss doing this. They didn't change much of the GoT books at first. The books translated well to television without huge changes. They are going to have to totally rework the first book of 3 Body Problem to make it even slightly interesting, even if the later parts get better. Otherwise people will turn the channel in the first few minutes, or go to sleep.

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
They are fine if everything is already written

They are fine if everything is already written....by one of the greatest fantasy writers of our time.

Their track record is not good, don't defend their terrible bullshit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I would guess that the adaptation will be heavily altered, since the later 2 books deal with massive time jumps. That means they do away with them or add more cast to the time jumps.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I can't wait for the opening scene to be an "alt-right" struggle session.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I only read Three-Body - I just could not get over the flat translation - but is the top left photo a race swapped black Wang Miao and a white Shi Qiang? But yet they kept everyone else Chinese and presumably kept the Chinese Cultural Revolution backstory, even though that isn't _really_ necessary - they could just have Ye Wenjie have her, say, sweatshop worker father worked to death by greedy capitalism?

Also, a 21st century Hollywood production will presumably show leftist-repression for Wrongthink in a negative light? I'm not sure I can believe that.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Seen some youtube videos about this story, the Dark Forest and Chain of Suspicion stuff is pretty terrifying.

But yeah, of course Hollywood will take a Chinese story and make a bunch of characters white to appeal to Americans with a token black to make up for it.

Just adapt it as written, for fucks sake.

Goatface

while looking on youtube, there is clips and trailers for a chinese made film in 2015/16. they spent $30m and was apparently so bad, it got permanently shelved

spronk

FPS noob
it'll definitely be interesting to see how it gets adapted, i found the first book very boring but it was worth going through for the insane stuff in books 2 & 3. I have no idea how you'd adapt it to screen and keep everyone interested in a second season.

wongers is in the cast too I believe so i'll watch just for him

velk

Trakanon Raider
I only read Three-Body - I just could not get over the flat translation - but is the top left photo a race swapped black Wang Miao and a white Shi Qiang? But yet they kept everyone else Chinese and presumably kept the Chinese Cultural Revolution backstory, even though that isn't _really_ necessary - they could just have Ye Wenjie have her, say, sweatshop worker father worked to death by greedy capitalism?

Surely not, that wouldn't break the story per se, but it really wouldn't make a lot of sense - given the retro-pub aesthetic, maybe it's Mike Evans ?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
no-poster.jpg

Title: 3 Body Problem

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Cast: Benedict Wong, Tsai Chin, John Bradley, Liam Cunningham, Jovan Adepo, Eiza González, Jess Hong, Marlo Kelly, Alex Sharp, Sea Shimooka, Sammer Usmani

Overview: The story of humanity's first contact with an alien civilization inspired by Liu Cixin's renowned novel.

Szlia

No chinese living in and/or having family in China who has any kind of fame is in the business of voicing even a hint of a dissenting opinion when it comes to politics. If you do, you "magically" disappear for months. Non chinese journalists asking chinese artists political questions either don't realize this, making them ignorant, or do and still ask political questions, making them assholes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Is that supposed to be the hot chick the one guy makes up in his mind and then they find the real life version for him? Otherwise, I can't think why they would have a woman even dressed like that in the show. I can't remember any scenes remotely like that, although I'll admit that a lot of the books were so dry that I might have just forgotten.

These are the kind of books that are worth the read just to know that you have done so. I liked the concept behind them quite a lot, but the translation and difference in cultural writing style made parts of it really, really hard to get through. Still, I'm very happy that I stuck it out and finished, and I've got a tiny bit of hope that the show is interesting enough that people can get the same result without slogging through the books. I've tried explaining the Dark Forest theory to some coworkers and friends, and while they get it, I don't think it really sinks in just how terrifying it really is.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I've tried explaining the Dark Forest theory to some coworkers and friends, and while they get it, I don't think it really sinks in just how terrifying it really is.

I have not read the books but I think this guy does a good job of explaining the dark forest theory and makes it scary. Watched all his videos about 3 body problem after the talk in this thread and now really looking forward to this show.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I have not read the books but I think this guy does a good job of explaining the dark forest theory and makes it scary. Watched all his videos about 3 body problem after the talk in this thread and now really looking forward to this show.

Yeah these are the videos I watched.

I get the feeling that the actual story isn't as good as the concepts explored, so this YouTube series is probably better than any potential show.

He does great videos on other sci-fi too, like All Tomorrows.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Yeah these are the videos I watched.

I get the feeling that the actual story isn't as good as the concepts explored, so this YouTube series is probably better than any potential show.

He does great videos on other sci-fi too, like All Tomorrows.
Alt Shift X is the youtuber that made the All Tomorrows video which is also amazing. But these are two different youtubers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users